EJ says this offense is easier than Florida State's ...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't read too much into EJ's comments. If I was going into a job interview I would not say, "Boy this job is tougher and more confusing than anything I have ever done". I would go into it and say "I get it, I am so excited about doing this job, and I am positive I will do great in this job". EJ is not the starting QB yet, he has 2 other competitors for the job, 3 if you want to be literal.

He is a smart guy who wants to win the job of starting QB. He will naturally say things that will win him the job, not make public comments that might instill doubts in the minds of the people that will decide if he wins the job.

This is the hope and my first thought. He's saying he can do the job and also showing he wants the job.

As far as half field reads at FSU, does anyone know if it is the same play book that was there before he got there and will stay in place after he is gone? Was the half field read meant to help protection, minimize throwing lane's needed, simplify for back ups or to address some other issue? Do entrenched college coaching staffs change offensive systems for players?

The kid is trying to show he is not over his head. Can't wait to see him play.

Don't just learn the offense EJ, -MASTER that sumbitch. Put your own tweaks on it, so the tools you have at your disposal cross that goal-line early, and often... and oh yah... NEVER tell your boss your job is easy. -That's just stupid. :doh:

I don't find one thing wrong with what he said. Enough of the diplomatic, fluff, B.S. answers so many others say. "I'm just here to help the team." "I want to learn as much as I can from Kolb and Jackson." "I just want to be ready if my number is called."

Screw that.

I love that he is saying he gets it and he's confident. I love that he reminds everyone that he's used to preparing to - and expecting to - win every week.

This kid should be named the starter TODAY.

Just saw some post-OTA tweets...apparently EJ already explaining his comments by saying the playbook is easier to learn because he has 6-7 hours a day to study it (i.e., no classes).

Nothing to see here...move along.

I heard the interview. He didn't say the offense was easy he said it was easy to learn. Huge difference. He also went on to say that it's a progression west coast offence where he can go 1,2,3,4,5,6, checkdown, run.

Ask Mike Martz how his complicated offense is working out these days. There was another coach in KC who had the same thing.

I heard the interview. He didn't say the offense was easy he said it was easy to learn. Huge difference. He also went on to say that it's a progression west coast offence where he can go 1,2,3,4,5,6, checkdown, run.

Ask Mike Martz how his complicated offense is working out these days. There was another coach in KC who had the same thing.

The interview doesn't come off at all like what people are posting on here. He mentions how much more time he has too and that besides the on field work that he's working "full time" on the playbook and progressions. Too many like to skip the story and just read the crib notes.

1,2,3,4,5......6? Now that is complicated... 6?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Ah yes, the fabled Al Saunders 700 page playbook. Fun stuff. But the nice thing is, the first 500 plays were scripted.

GO BILLS!!!

i've seen and heard a couple different spots where ej has discussed offensive game plans. a simple example was the gruden qb interview. he seems smart enough to know how to dissect a defense. simple base plan is great, the kgun is based on the qb's ability to read the defense. ie: if the safetys are cheating up you put your slot on a deep route. i get the feeling that line audibles didn't happen under chan's system too much. instead it was more timing.

The west coast based stuff they're running pass wise is pretty simple; the hard part is reading the coverages that'll dictate to you what to do during play. At FSU he had an option-based route tree, so he had to be on the same page as his receivers, ala the run and shoot. So, even though he had half-field reads, those reads were pretty intricate pre-snap.

K-gun had a few formations, but they were able to run multiple plays out of the same set (Sweep, Counters, Bombs, short passes etc) - the D didn't know what was coming. Marchabroda/Manning used the same concept with the Colts...