Interesting draft take...

Was talking with a Raiders fan the other day and he raised an interesting idea regards the draft.

Why not introduce a reward to the team the drafts well, say either a pick or some coin or other dispensation- maybe a Veteran salary reduction. Something.

So you drafted a 1st rd that was an All-pro still with your team, maybe you could get a reduction on his salary against the cap as a veteran so he could remain at the club at his career end.

Or you drafted a 7th rd who came to be a Probowler you'd get an extra pick, not sure what value in the draft.

Reward a good draft rather than rewarding mediocrity giving them the earliest draft pick.

And remember, this is from a Raiders fan!

kinda flies in the face of parity, no? i mean, you give the teams that draft the best players more picks and more money to sign them with. i just don't see this as a good idea. maybe i'm wrong, but i see the draft as it's own reward, you draft well, you get good players.

Was talking with a Raiders fan the other day and he raised an interesting idea regards the draft.

Why not introduce a reward to the team the drafts well, say either a pick or some coin or other dispensation- maybe a Veteran salary reduction. Something.

So you drafted a 1st rd that was an All-pro still with your team, maybe you could get a reduction on his salary against the cap as a veteran so he could remain at the club at his career end.

Or you drafted a 7th rd who came to be a Probowler you'd get an extra pick, not sure what value in the draft.

Reward a good draft rather than rewarding mediocrity giving them the earliest draft pick.

And remember, this is from a Raiders fan!

As it is, the Pro Bowl is too subjective and political. Those ideas would turn the system into a circus. Would you really trust the Patriots (or any other team) to adhere to open competition? Teams could orchestrate campaigns to ensure their players stacked votes and make sure other (more deserving?) players got the shaft.

How about have a lottery for all teams. It has been proven for years by teams like the Bills, Jags, Lions, Raiders that drafting early doesnt guarantee success. I think that all teams should have the same chance to get first pick, not just the **** franchises of the NFL!

I don't think you should reward those who draft "well" or better than others... if they're so good at it, they don't need more picks or other compensation.

Why not introduce a reward to the team the drafts well,...Reward a good draft rather than rewarding mediocrity giving them the earliest draft pick.

Since the whole purpose of having a draft is an attempt to promote parity within the league, how is this not defeating the purpose of the draft? :wallbash: :wallbash:

This is not a fantasy league game played for all the entertaining intricacies behind the scenes, this is a real life "SPORTING EVENT".

The purpose of parity is to have all the games played be exciting and entertaining to the fans. The outcome should be in doubt the minute the clock starts. The plan is that no team should have a better chance of winning the game before the clock starts. Each team ideally should have a equal chance on the field on any given day, in every game of winning the game by their play on the field while the game clock is running. What you mention is the opposite of achieving this goal. I would hope most fans ultimately care most about what happens on the field during the game. What the FO does to win the game is not what football is about, it is all about what happens on the field while the clock is running.

Edited by simpleman

This isn't exactly the same thing but the NFL rewards players every year for outplaying their contracts. They paid out 111 million last year. Vontaze Burfict, who only made 390K as the league minimum rookie contract was paid an extra 300K by the league. It's a pretty cool thing they do.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/03-20-13-performance-based-pay.pdf

The reward I want is to win games. I have no interest in winning the draft. I am interested in drafting well so that we win games. Getting good players that help the Bills win is a great reward.

How about have a lottery for all teams. It has been proven for years by teams like the Bills, Jags, Lions, Raiders that drafting early doesnt guarantee success. I think that all teams should have the same chance to get first pick, not just the **** franchises of the NFL!

The problem is the NFL Draft will then become like the NBA draft...Meaning...No One cares. NFL is making a great amount of money by having the NFL Draft on TV. I like the idea of giving a hometown discount on the Salary Cap for a player who was drafted by the team and has gone on to do something *excellent*. It can always be defined by numbers (W/Ls, TDs, INTs, Tackles etc).

I don't think you should reward those who draft "well" or better than others... if they're so good at it, they don't need more picks or other compensation.

I think the point of the OP is, if a team is good at identifying and cultivating talent, free agency "punishes" those teams by making it harder to keep those players. However, the league already awards compensatory picks at the end of various rounds, so...

kinda flies in the face of parity, no? i mean, you give the teams that draft the best players more picks and more money to sign them with. i just don't see this as a good idea. maybe i'm wrong, but i see the draft as it's own reward, you draft well, you get good players.

Yeah, this. Being able to generally have the same amount of picks and draft ahead of better teams has been the only thing that hasn't already WIDENED the gap between the Bills and the rest of the league.

The nice thing about the NFL is that even the worst laughingstock of a NFL team is still only a couple years of excellent personnel/coaching from challenging for a Super Bowl.

Buddy and HIS Bills will tell you it takes longer, but the traffic of teams buzzing back and forth past the Bills traditional draft slots around pick #8-#11 over the last decade+ says that this is not the case.

We mock a team like the Jaguars but they have had multiple regimes make playoff runs in the time that we've been down. Many other "bad" teams have. The Bills really don't have much company in the regard of not being competitive.

Yeah, this. Being able to generally have the same amount of picks and draft ahead of better teams has been the only thing that hasn't already WIDENED the gap between the Bills and the rest of the league.

The nice thing about the NFL is that even the worst laughingstock of a NFL team is still only a couple years of excellent personnel/coaching from challenging for a Super Bowl.

Buddy and HIS Bills will tell you it takes longer, but the traffic of teams buzzing back and forth past the Bills traditional draft slots around pick #8-#11 over the last decade+ says that this is not the case.

We mock a team like the Jaguars but they have had multiple regimes make playoff runs in the time that we've been down. Many other "bad" teams have. The Bills really don't have much company in the regard of not being competitive.

That's just not true. Jack Del Rio was the coach of the 2005 and 2007 Jaguars, the two squads that have made the playoffs during the Bills' drought.

That's just not true. Jack Del Rio was the coach of the 2005 and 2007 Jaguars, the two squads that have made the playoffs during the Bills' drought.

That's correct, I thought they made one more run under Coughlin but not so. Still, they had a 4 year run where they won 40 games under Del Rio with two not so spectacular QB's, so it was more than simply a one and done like I was suggesting. In 2006 the Bills beat both Green Bay and Jacksonville in Buffalo and the following season those teams both made the conference finals. That to me was exhibit A of why Dick Jauron ball was destined to fail. When you play not to lose, you never really win. That was 4 utterly wasted years in this drought.