Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

Russ Brandon, ever the marketeer in chief. I realize he can't be 100% open about everything happening at OBD, but he's told some whoppers to a fan base he courts every off-season. Whatever trust he has should decrease, but it probably won't.

Whats even crazier, imo, are the fans that have been following sports for so long and still havent learned to take everything that comes out of the mouths of coaches and FO personnel with a grain of salt.

What do you expect these guys to do? Lay out every secret and detail publicly in the media? They have a very competitive company to run. They are going to fib and stretch the truth sometimes. They are going to give only portions of the full story sometimes. It's for the good of the business and team. Deal with it, and figure out how to tell when they are BSing. It's pretty obvious, really.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix has NOT don't a great job. Part of being a GM is hiring good coaches.....of which he has not. The Marrone/Pettine hire feels NOTHING like Buddy Nix hires. I think that was all Whaley

from the one head coach that nix hired we can only take so much away. marrone seems to be a pretty solid hard nosed football guy with a passion for the game and a reputation of being a forward thinker on offense. pettine runs an aggressive 34 multiple look defense that nix said he wanted day one. add a southern accent and its not tooooo far out in left field, is it?

LOL, you guys want to be able to hate Nix so much that you won't even give him credit where it is due.

Any moves that might be good, must be someone else. Ok... :rolleyes:

You must be related to Buddy, as there is no other explanation for your constant defense of his abysmal tenure as bills gm

LOL, you guys want to be able to hate Nix so much that you won't even give him credit where it is due.

Any moves that might be good, must be someone else. Ok... :rolleyes:

For me, all in all, Buddy did well. Yes, he blew a number of draft pics, but countered those with quality UDFA's, waiver claims & FA's. He also hit on a few very good pics while weeding out mediocrity.

Thank you, Buddy. We'll take it from here.

Obviously the shame of reaching for EJ Manuel when he could have had Nassib or Barkley was too much to bear.

:lol:

He delivered the QB for which his legacy will be forever linked and rode off into the sunset. Cheers, Buddy. Hope that baby grows into a corn fed, molly whopping, beast. Only downside: no taped phone calls from a 75 year old GM that doesn't know how to use a phone.

BTW, in fairness to Buddy, Mark Dominik is 42 years old so what's his excuse?

Thanks for posting the link.

Russ Brandon, ever the marketeer in chief. I realize he can't be 100% open about everything happening at OBD, but he's told some whoppers to a fan base he courts every off-season. Whatever trust he has should decrease, but it probably won't.

This is silly and ironic.

The confidentiality of the Bills succession plan trumps whatever fan needs are out there. Now we're gonna slam Brandon for misleading the fans?

Anyways as I stated before, I thought Buddy would ride out the season at least.

I am surprised.

Thanks Buddy. You turned this ship around, and that was no small feat.

Turned what around?

2009 (pre-Nix): 6-10

2010: 4-12

2011: 6-10

2012: 6-10

I'm not trying to hate, but let's at least have some objectivity here.

I really wonder if he was "fired" instead of "stepping down" if people on here would still be singing his praises? Because if any other GM in the NFL had his same track record, they would have been fired.

You must be related to Buddy, as there is no other explanation for your constant defense of his abysmal tenure as bills gm

Other than things like perspective, patience, and rational thinking.

The GM can only do so much. He re-built the entire FO, getting rid of our long-hated Modrak and Guy, and replacing them with the guy everyone is so excited about replacing Nix with. He re-vamped a horrible roster, and made Buffalo a legitimate landing spot for talented Free Agents. He proved that we can and will pay our own players. He came in with an actual plan and philosophy for building a team and our Lines (O and D) are stronger than they have been in over a decade.

Granted, the Gailey hiring was a setback, but it doesnt take much research to understand that the Bills' choices were extremely limited at that time.

I get that most fans live from moment to moment with the last move being the only move, but there was a lot of work that needed to be done at OBD when he took over 4 years ago. Nix, along with Brandon, have worked tirelessly and undoing Ralph's 50 years worth of garbage.

If you cant appreciate that, I dont know what to tell you. Enjoy your misery I guess.

Funny that Nix now becomes a special assistant. It would be like getting a promotion at work when your boss retires and he remains as a consultant. Talk about uncomfortable.

Not aware of another team who keeps their retired GM around in an emeritus type role with the team. It's truly bizarre, but the Bills are adept at going counter to what other teams do without setting the pace anywhere.

Turned what around?

I really wonder if he was "fired" instead of "stepping down" if people on here would still be singing his praises? Because if any other GM in the NFL had his same track record, they would have been fired.

Yeah, right. We're in exactly the same spot we were in before he came on board. Pfffft!

I don't think Buddy's been in charge of this team ever since Ralph stepped down and Russ stepped up. For whatever reason they wanted him to be the face of the organization to the media for awhile. But I will always believe that it was Brandon that hired Marrone. When the hottest coach on the NFL market chooses the Bills, you can bet that his prior relationship with the President had something to do with it.

I liked Buddy,, always entertaining to listen to. I hated the Troup draft pick, that's the only high pick I ever rip on the guy about. Buddy is a good guy. Makes sense he should step down while the optimism is high and his 2013 draft has the fans excited. It's probably the high water mark for the season....i sure hope not.

Turned what around?

Objectivity when judging a GM is looking at far more than just a win/loss record which is mostly dictated by player and coach performance. Sure, Buddy has to hire those guys, but he cant play the games or make the calls for them too. Look at the moves he made, and the decisions he made, versus what else he had to work with at the time.

The biggest knocks on the guy over the past 4 years are:

1. The Gailey (Edwards and Wanny) hires. But at the time, the Bills were lucky to find a coach at all.

2. Not seeing the future and picking Kaep in the 2nd or Wilson in the 3rd. Both of which had plenty of question marks, and he made up for it by not only getting our pick of QBs in the last draft, but also getting an extra 2nd and 7th pick while he was at it.

Again, perspective. It's all how you want to look at it, and how much of the big picture you're willing/able to look at.