Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

This was laid out originally and was expected. Why are people surprised? They said this was the plan back when they made the announcements about Brandon. They literally said Nix would stay on through the draft where Whaley would take over full time as GM. So far, everything has gone exactly as expected.

Link? I recall no timeframe given for Buddy's departure.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the point you're making about circumstances beyond the team's control but that whole week in Glendale the Bills spent interviewing head coaching candidates was a very different process than the clandestine and ineffectual actions the team took leading up to the Gailey hiring.

By all accounts Kelly and Marrone were the most coveted HCing candidates and the Bills were very aggressive and proactive in pursuing them.

They also interviewed numerous other candidates who were interested in coaching the Bills. There's no question Lovie or Whiz would have leapt at the opportunity to become Bills Head Coach. Same with Ray Horton.

not to be a thorn on it, but perhaps you could compare the mario courtship to chasing marrone? just thinking outloud.

i think that in a lot of ways we still saw nix having fingerprints on this. it could simply be things that are universal truths, and a few others that brandon/whaley mightve picked up from him.... but if you take an assumption the part of how nix feels about being GM is letting the coach have a certain level of freedom you could just as easily explain away the differences in the coordinator pick for instance, or a couple of the possible "coachs selection" type picks that floated around.

I think i saw a few basic truths from nix:

1) he thinks you get QBs very early in the draft

2) if theres a guy you think you need, you go get him if you can

3) you let your coaches build their staffs and have input in their rosters

4) he likes a 34 defense, but is willing to defer to #3

5) he likes his guys big, he likes guys that have been productive (both in the draft and free agency)

6) this is going to get killed but hes not against youth, or going outside of comfort (i think the whaley hire speaks volumes to his long term planning, vision and ability to even take himself out of the equation or account for his own weakness including age)

he didnt always get to execute under ideals, and even the best laid plans dont always succeed but i think in broad strokes we still see a lot of that going on.

Edited by NoSaint

So let me get this straight.... Many wanted him out as GM. He is now out as GM but will stay on in an advisory role (If you don't get it that means assist with evaluating draft choices), and you guys still gripe? I mean damn folks the man has stepped aside at least thank him for what he tried to do (And somewhat did) and not kick him on the way out.

As you point out I don't know that the draft as a whole was dramatically different but certainly the head coaching search, the hiring of Pettine and the first round trade down seemed very different from the past.

And you don't attribute that to having a young head coach and Ralph not having a say? A lot more changed this off season than people want to believe. I think Nix rolls with the HC as much as possible. He tries to assemble a team that's in the HC's vision. That's why we got Spiller, and probably would have gotten Tebow - because Chan (and Ralph) wanted them.

The GM's job is to build the entire team including the staff. He gave Chan a lot of rope and he (Chan) hung himself with it. Maronne got the kind of guys HE wanted in this draft. That to me is the biggest difference. No Ralph to meddle/muddle, and a young coach who's not afraid to take chances with some players with chancy character, has a premium on speed and up-tempo, and can relate better to the younger players. Chan convinced himself that Fitz was an NFL starting caliber QB, and tried to build the team around him. I don't believe Maronne would ever have done that.

Link? I recall no timeframe given for Buddy's departure.

And yet I just heard Scott Chandler on Sirius NFL Radio say the Buddy thing "was in the works for some time." So obviously it was not a secret inside One Bills Drive.

PTR

And yet I just heard Scott Chandler on Sirius NFL Radio say the Buddy thing "was in the works for some time." So obviously it was not a secret inside One Bills Drive.

PTR

The plan has been there since Whaley was brought in. They never hid that. But they never announced any specific timing either.

No one that follows the Bills should be surprised by this move, but none of us knew whether he was staying until next year or not. It makes sense that he's leaving now. Now that he (hopefully) helped upgrade the Coaching and QB spots.

PTR

BUT THEY DIDN'T TELL ME!!

As I scroll through these comments I cannot help but notice the haters, who twist every detail into the worst case scenario.

The facts are these;

Nix hired a terrible coach with his first hire

The roster is much better today than it was when he took over

All four first round picks appear to be solid

The rest of the drafts were OK

The Buck stops with him, but draft picks are generally a group consensus

I think he stabilized the ship, now it's up to the Doug's to set sail.

I don't get why they had to be so emphatic about it. The draft was over. There was no competitive advantage to saying he's going to be here a long time.

I see your point but maybe something happened to change things. They were recruiting a FA (Dansby) and didn't want to announce it. Or maybe there were health reasons. Either way, it was a plan that was put into place awhile ago. I thank Nix for putting this team on more stable ground. Let's hope Whaley can help take it to the next level.

PTR

Yes, it was "in the works" the day they hired Whaley! Buddy was going to groom Whaley for the job, and then step aside when he thought things were on the right path and Doug was ready. I think the decision of "when" is and has been an evolving discussion. It's entirely possible two weeks ago everyone believed Buddy would stay on for a while longer.

As I scroll through these comments I cannot help but notice the haters, who twist every detail into the worst case scenario.

The facts are these;

Nix hired a terrible coach with his first hire

The roster is much better today than it was when he took over

All four first round picks appear to be solid

The rest of the drafts were OK

The Buck stops with him, but draft picks are generally a group consensus

I think he stabilized the ship, now it's up to the Doug's to set sail.

See, here's the problem I have with this.

On paper, we appear to have some decent players... but it never results in victories. Coaches can only do so much, players have to do the rest. The GM was responsible for both our coaches and our players. Our records weren't great... hence Nix gets judged pretty lowly.

Like others have said... if this season ends up being a clear turn around, and EJ starts showing he's the second coming of Jim Kelly (with wheels), then opinions will change. But for now "show me the baby" is in effect. Which is a shame, because, as I said before, I like Nix.

Ok, so it looks like I'll need to keep my avatar for a little while longer; it now represents Buddy flying off into the sunset!

Dolphin sushi will return prior to the first regular season game.

See, here's the problem I have with this.

On paper, we appear to have some decent players... but it never results in victories. Coaches can only do so much, players have to do the rest. The GM was responsible for both our coaches and our players. Our records weren't great... hence Nix gets judged pretty lowly.

Like others have said... if this season ends up being a clear turn around, and EJ starts showing he's the second coming of Jim Kelly (with wheels), then opinions will change. But for now "show me the baby" is in effect. Which is a shame, because, as I said before, I like Nix.

Reasonable. I do think if the Bills had a better QB or the Fitz of the 1st 4 games, this is a playoff type roster. But even though I think Gailey was forced on Nix a bit, he ultimately is responsible for the failings of the coach/ QB. Hopefully his legacy will be remember more for Marrone/ Manuel than Gailey/ Fitz.

Bills analytics department update: http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-analytics-department-update/16338171

Now with a new GM to be named at some point in the near future, it may be time to revisit what the analytics department could become. Brandon was asked about it once again on Monday, and whether or not a new GM would facilitate the creation of the department and this is the updated outlook:

"When I mentioned on January 1 and I mentioned a few times after that, the process we're looking at ... is we do a lot of that already and we're looking to add some different elements to it," he said. "But that'll never override the scouting procedures that we've had in place. It'll be layers as we're looking at everything into our organization on our football side and the business side. I anticipate that over the next calendar year that we'll have a little bit more of that in place."

When the new GM is announced, it's likely that analytics will be one of many topics of conversation for the new man calling the shots.

Mr Nix, a reluctant hire, did the best he could. Was he up for the job? I am not sure but I know he was not going to leave with the team looking worse off than when he came on board. A good draft with a potential franchise QB will be his legacy. Enjoy your retirement sir. It was a thankless job and were a gentleman the whole time.

I don't get why they had to be so emphatic about it. The draft was over. There was no competitive advantage to saying he's going to be here a long time.

I see your point but maybe something happened to change things. They were recruiting a FA (Dansby) and didn't want to announce it. Or maybe there were health reasons. Either way, it was a plan that was put into place awhile ago. I thank Nix for putting this team on more stable ground. Let's hope Whaley can help take it to the next level.

I agree with CB. Besides the fact that business (actually competition) occurs virtually every day in an NFL front office (free agency, contract negotiations) there is also the small possibility of uncertainty on Nix's part.

Anyways, the tail shouldn't wag the dog.

not to be a thorn on it, but perhaps you could compare the mario courtship to chasing marrone?

To me the Mario Williams signing was no more than some sort of bizarre kidnapping/bribery. He was abducted and wouldn't be given his freedom until he agreed to accept ridiculous sums of money.

Again relying on feel, it doesn't seem like the same species as the coaching search.

And you don't attribute that to having a young head coach and Ralph not having a say? A lot more changed this off season than people want to believe. I think Nix rolls with the HC as much as possible. He tries to assemble a team that's in the HC's vision. That's why we got Spiller, and probably would have gotten Tebow - because Chan (and Ralph) wanted them. The GM's job is to build the entire team including the staff. He gave Chan a lot of rope and he (Chan) hung himself with it. Maronne got the kind of guys HE wanted in this draft. That to me is the biggest difference. No Ralph to meddle/muddle, and a young coach who's not afraid to take chances with some players with chancy character, has a premium on speed and up-tempo, and can relate better to the younger players. Chan convinced himself that Fitz was an NFL starting caliber QB, and tried to build the team around him. I don't believe Maronne would ever have done that.

I differentiate between the draft and the non-draft moves. The draft feels similar to the previous ones in that it seems like Nix was willing to work with his head coach in drafting players. I will say the trade down seemed uncharacteristic.

But the non-draft stuff feels completely different to me. The coaching hire, this year's free agency compared to last year's, that sort of stuff.

JMO. I don't know how much Ralph stepping aside has affected things just as I don't know how the ascendency of Russ Brandon affected things.