Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

Thank God and thus ends an era of bills GM incompetence. Lets hope Whaley knows what he is doing

This and other similar quotes regarding Buddy are completely moronic. The man did an OUTSTANDING job as Bills GM -- and has this team poised for a playoff run. If anyone thinks the Bills are not markedly better today than they were when he took over -- they are either lying or haven't watched the bills longer than 3 years. I think Buddy helped restore this franchise and I hope that Whaley is ready to build on that success. Some of you posters need to find another team to root for -- as it really must be taxing to find anything good about the current Bills regime.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Buddy's been in charge of this team ever since Ralph stepped down and Russ stepped up. For whatever reason they wanted him to be the face of the organization to the media for awhile. But I will always believe that it was Brandon that hired Marrone. When the hottest coach on the NFL market chooses the Bills, you can bet that his prior relationship with the President had something to do with it.

Agreed.

I like Buddy and wanted to view some of the recent events as "an old dog learning new tricks."

In retrospect I ignored the strong feelings and clues that others in the organization were the ones making major decisions.

There you go for all you naysayers. That was Whaley's draft. It had someone else's fingerprints all over it.

What part was different?

Drafting a quarterback was a critically important first step to admitting they have a drafting problem, but otherwise it was just another highly concentrated attempt to patch a bunch of gaping holes in the roster.

The strength of this draft was on the lines. The Bills drafted away from the strength yet again. That is why so many observers yet again considered many of the Bills draft picks reaches and that was reflected in their poor opinions of the Bills choices.

The Buddy Nix Bills did this when they drafted Troupe and Carrington and when they drafted Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard. I think we can agree that there were much better players available but the Bills had NEEDS.

This draft was more of the same. The needs were WR/LB/S this time.

If the players pan out, it doesn't matter, but to suggest there was a different tone to this draft is to ignore why they selected the players they selected and the desperate nature of the need at those positions.

I just don't see where people are identifying a difference. I would have bet the house that the Bills would draft multiple WR and an inside LB based on past history alone. They did this in their customary reach for need spot....rounds 2 and 3.

Buddy Nix transitions out of GM role with Bills: http://www.buffalobi...83-6dd4c6009aff

"I've made this decision to step away from the General Manager's position because I feel it is the right time," said Nix in a team statement. "By the 'right time' I mean I think we have a good young roster, an excellent head coach with a good staff, and it's time to let someone else handle these responsibilities and move forward together. Timing is the main thing, but there are other benefits as well. This job is very demanding with a 24-7 schedule of responsibilities. This new position will enable me to spend more time with my family. I appreciate the opportunity given to me by Mr. Wilson and Russ (Brandon) and I'm fortunate to step away from the job and still remain a part of the team."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Funny that Nix now becomes a special assistant. It would be like getting a promotion at work when your boss retires and he remains as a consultant. Talk about uncomfortable.

Not aware of another team who keeps their retired GM around in an emeritus type role with the team. It's truly bizarre, but the Bills are adept at going counter to what other teams do without setting the pace anywhere.

Buddy has been around a long time... hes likely not going to be there day to day, but its not a terrible setup to have the man in charge still be a part of the organization.

What part was different?

Drafting a quarterback was a critically important first step to admitting they have a drafting problem, but otherwise it was just another highly concentrated attempt to patch a bunch of gaping holes in the roster.

The strength of this draft was on the lines. The Bills drafted away from the strength yet again. That is why so many observers yet again considered many of the Bills draft picks reaches and that was reflected in their poor opinions of the Bills choices.

The Buddy Nix Bills did this when they drafted Troupe and Carrington and when they drafted Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard. I think we can agree that there were much better players available but the Bills had NEEDS.

If the players pan out, it doesn't matter, but to suggest there was a different tone to this draft is to ignore why they selected the players they selected and the desperate nature of the need at those positions.

I just don't see where people are identifying a difference. I would have bet the house that the Bills would draft multiple WR and an inside LB based on past history alone. They did this in their customary reach for need spot....rounds 2 and 3.

It's a cheap and overly simplified observation based on nothing more than the lack of SEC players we took in this year's draft.

Good luck Buddy. As always, it's hard to truly evaluate the overall effectiveness of Bills GM's considering they have to work for such total garbage at the top of the organization. At least he was light years better than Marv.

I was very critical of Marv and Co. when he was here, and rightly so, however how is Buddy in any way light years ahead of Marv?

Nix blew it on coaching hires, blew it on QB for three years, and has maybe less talent on the roster than he took over, after 3 years and 4 drafts.

Not looking for a lengthy response, just asking. Thx.

Agreed thank you! To add- As if Whaley and Nix weren't making every decision together for the last 12 months any way... Do some fans think they are all just isolated and offer up their opinion and then there's a group poll?

This and other similar quotes regarding Buddy are completely moronic. The man did an OUTSTANDING job as Bills GM -- and has this team poised for a playoff run. If anyone thinks the Bills are not markedly better today than they were when he took over -- they are either lying or haven't watched the bills longer than 3 years. I think Buddy helped restore this franchise and I hope that Whaley is ready to build on that success. Some of you posters need to find another team to root for -- as it really must be taxing to find anything good about the current Bills regime.

"special assistant" to whom ?.....it's not clear...

typically its a bit of a gift position out of respect. im sure he will still consult on some evaluations, have an office there but get to leave behind the loooong hours of NFL gm. many in the front office were hired by him and its always nice to have a friend and mentor taken care of on his way out.

As far as Buddy's performance?

It all boils down to Head Coach and quarterback.

Everything else is window dressing and minutiae.

Every team in the NFL has roster holes and weaknesses. Those weaknesses are obscured when the coaching and quarterback are good.

The team Buddy assembled is as talented as most of the teams in the league.

But Buddy will be defined by the facts that he hired Chan Gailey and then backed Gailey on Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I feel like Buddy was well respected at OBD and this last month or so was all just a way for him to transition out with some dignity...if that's the case, kinda classy...

Dadgummit... at least we don't need to listen to him talk anymore. I like him more as an evaluator of college talent than a GM. He was in over his head with that role. I hope Whaley is the real deal. Lots of young guys running the Bills... at least they can't say they aren't changing it up!

Buddy has been around a long time... hes likely not going to be there day to day, but its not a terrible setup to have the man in charge still be a part of the organization.

I don't see how keeping him in an honorary/adjunct role could possibly be viewed as a negative.

It's a positive in every way possible. It speaks to how an organization treats a longtime, valued employee.

It allows Buddy to revert back to his core competency which is scouting.

Only negative people could spin this negatively.

Thank God and thus ends an era of bills GM incompetence. Lets hope Whaley knows what he is doing

our roster is SOOO much better than it was when he took over, Nix did a great job bring in talent. You need the QB and look around the league he hasn't been in the draft- if you want to crown the Wilson-Luck-Griffin trio as accomplished NFL stars after a year go ahead but I can list out a lot of one year wonders

What part was different?

When Buddy had unquestioned authority and he needed a MLB, he drafted Kelvin Sheppard. This year we get Kiko Alonso. Two players who couldn't be more different from each other, both on the field and off. We had a different philosophy in this draft than we have in the past-- we went for guys with athleticism and a chip on their shoulder as opposed to smarts and character.

I feel like Buddy was well respected at OBD and this last month or so was all just a way for him to transition out with some dignity...if that's the case, kinda classy...

and honestly, i think that buddy himself had this planned 3 years ago.... its been an odd couple of years as i think the roster is better generally. i didnt love the HC choice but i dont know that we passed up better options. i like his hire as a successor - it takes a certain level of confidence and respect for the organization to hire your replacement. i dont think hes wrong giving his coach some leeway in assistants and players (such as qb or DC) although its frustrating they didnt do better. i dont think we messed up on any 1st round qbs, and i know midround guys are typically very unlikely to be "the guy" which is what we needed.

the W-L record was bad, but as many have said the trajectory feels ok right now. thats kind of what he promised a few years back even if the execution has had some hiccups. im on the fence with how to judge the nix era.....