QB Helmet Cam

Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman is using a helmet camera to help evaluate quarterbacks at the team's rookie minicamp.

The Chicago Tribune reported that a small camera was attached to the left side of quarterback Matt Blanchard's helmet on Friday during the Bears' first day of practice. The idea is to give coaches the same view the quarterback has when a play is developing and use that information to assess him.

Blanchard, who is a second-year player, is competing for the third quarterback spot behind starter Jay Cutler and backup Josh McCown.

Great Idea Buffalo should be doing this too!

Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman is using a helmet camera to help evaluate quarterbacks at the team's rookie minicamp.

The Chicago Tribune reported that a small camera was attached to the left side of quarterback Matt Blanchard's helmet on Friday during the Bears' first day of practice. The idea is to give coaches the same view the quarterback has when a play is developing and use that information to assess him.

Blanchard, who is a second-year player, is competing for the third quarterback spot behind starter Jay Cutler and backup Josh McCown.

Great Idea Buffalo should be doing this too!

Like it.

Very interesting. Surely this can't be the first time somebody tried such a thing...can it?

i doubt its the first. i know i have seen the glasses and such on sports science for evaluating how quick the eyes react to stimulus too which id guess is an interesting tool.

theres a lot out there, but not a ton thats been proven. its interesting getting into the resources out there though.

Lame. QBs are trained to have their helmets mismatch the direction of their eyes so the side helmet camera will generate useless data. Unless you couple and resolve that data with retinal direction tracking data tracking the direction of the QBs eyes. Sounds like trestman is using dinosaur age technology.

Lame. QBs are trained to have their helmets mismatch the direction of their eyes so the side helmet camera will generate useless data. Unless you couple and resolve that data with retinal direction tracking data tracking the direction of the QBs eyes. Sounds like trestman is using dinosaur age technology.

my initial take was it sounded a bit outdated. that glasses with the eye tracking would be the more hip-new approach.

and even once you get the data/video its certainly not easy to analyze, and only means so much by itself. id say it should be useful but in the end its something that could even end up just muddying the water.

Does anyone else remember the early days of the World League? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqa-Vqlin5U&feature=player_detailpage#t=35s

Very fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting. I'd rather listen to the players and coaches than any announcers that's for sure.

Of course the NFL would never let you peak behind the curtain for very long.

It was interesting to see how elementary the play calls were btw.

I understand your point but disagree with you dismissing the idea.

Firstly Trestman's considered a pretty brilliant offensive coach and secondly, "looking off" a defense or a safety or whatever is something that QBs only do occasionally, not all the time. Looking off the defense typically only happens when you're trying to move the safety over and it makes it harder for the QB to find and hit his primary target.

As the QBs are going through their progressions I would say that most of the time there head will be pointed at their reads. Even when that's not the case I think the coaches will be able to use the video to draw pretty strong conclusions.

So you're saying that a coach going over the video with a QB, seeing the QB's exact field of vision is lame? Glad you're not employed by this team. Your eyes can't see beyond the helmet's opening anyway. Your argument is invalid.

So you're saying that a coach going over the video with a QB, seeing the QB's exact field of vision is lame? Glad you're not employed by this team. Your eyes can't see beyond the helmet's opening anyway. Your argument is invalid.

+1

When reviewing plays from a camera up high, its easy to see what's supposed to happen. Looking at the same play at field level is a whole different perspective.

If the Bills want high tech, maybe they need to look at something like this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/alabama/post/_/id/13123/saban-tide-keep-eyes-on-ways-to-innovate

In it, (UA football trainer Jeff) Allen expressed the program's desire to test drive the company's technology, a package of wearable GPS monitors, gyroscopes and magnetometers capable of measuring an athlete's movement and exertion during competition. With Catapult's help, Allen and the coaching staff could see in numbers and figures what they previously sensed with only a trained eye and a gut feeling.

According to the article, only 4 NFL teams are using right now.