Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

Spoken like someone who only looks at stats and doesn't actually watch the games.

That doesn't even make sense. Last season Byrd's stats were better than Goldson's in every category except passes defensed. Yet the AP voters, who presumably watched the games, because they didn't go by stats, voted Goldson 1st team and Byrd 2nd team. Take it up with them.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't even make sense. Last season Byrd's stats were better than Goldson's in every category except passes defensed. Yet the AP voters, who presumably watched the games, because they didn't go by stats, voted Goldson 1st team and Byrd 2nd team. Take it up with them.

So your opinion is based on what sportswriters think?

So your opinion is based on what sportswriters think?

Yep. Considering sportswriters' jobs are to watch games and evaluate player's performances, and then vote on the best at the end of the year, I'd take their word over others'.

Boy, I am already tired of this BS. Trade him for whatever you can get at this point.

And just what BS is that? The noise from a handful of people on this forum who don't understand how the franchise tag works? *yawn*

And just what BS is that? The noise from a handful of people on this forum who don't understand how the franchise tag works? *yawn*

which people are you referring to?

The few that feel Byrd can simply just say no to the franchise tender and refuse to play, make the Bills make a choice if they want to lose him for nothing or trade him for draft picks?

Or the many that feel he absolutely has no choice but to sign a 1 year franchise tag and not be guaranteed anything after that, play the season, risk the possibility of getting injured and not receiving the biggest contract of his career?

I'll be sad to see Byrd go, but lets face it, with Parker you have to get deal done early. Once he feels your holding back or he decides to dig in, he will fight for way beyond what makes sense for his client, and have a feeling its close to that point already if not already past it.

if Bills play hardball, the likely franchise tag value for Jairus in:

2013 is $6.9 mil (1st time)

2014 is $8.3 mil (120% increase, 2nd time)

2015 is $11.9 mil (144% increase, 3rd time)

if the Bills play hard ball and don't make him the highest paid safety in the league, he won't sign his tender and hell be traded.

He'll eventually have to sign his tender, if he wants credit for the year, and more importantly, to get paid something for the year. The questions are whether he does it before the season starts or midway through the season and how much will they miss him? While he's sitting out the Bills will get a good look at his potential replacements, which may make them dig-in further, or succumb to his demands.

if the Bills play hard ball and don't make him the highest paid safety in the league, he won't sign his tender and hell be traded.

Why do you keep saying this? Why are the Bills compelled to trade him? Byrd has limited options as long as the Bills hold the right to tag him. Byrd can either sign the offer, negotiate a new deal, or sit out. If he sits out one year, it will be detrimental to his career. If he sits out two, it would be career suicide.

Now, if the Bills feel that he isn't a vital cog in their scheme, they could certainly entertain offers but, again, they aren't compelled to do so. If there is some team out there that would have made him the highest paid S in the league, then Byrd should feel comfortable knowing that team will step up to the plate and offer the Bills the high draft pick compensation that's warranted. Anything less of an offer by that team suggests they really DON'T value Byrd as much as we thought.

Either way, the Bills are not in a position where they have to panic one way or the other.

GO BILLS!!!

He'll eventually have to sign his tender, if he wants credit for the year, and more importantly, to get paid something for the year. The questions are whether he does it before the season starts or midway through the season and how much will they miss him? While he's sitting out the Bills will get a good look at his potential replacements, which may make them dig-in further, or succumb to his demands.

That's correct. He will sign the tender. Worst case, he does so and then shows up halfway thru the season to get his playing time credit but more than likely he would show up in September like Peters so as not to lose the paychecks.

That's correct. He will sign the tender. Worst case, he does so and then shows up halfway thru the season to get his playing time credit but more than likely he would show up in September like Peters so as not to lose the paychecks.

Most likely. Although Parker had Mankins, also a FP, hold-out for 7 games. But the Pats' offense was struggling without him. And in Peters' case, he was under contract, and there was something that made it imperative for him to show-up at the beginning of the season.

I may be of the minority here, but I still think a long-term deal gets done before the deadline. Byrd will probably get within the top 3 in relative money on his deal and everyone can call it a day.

The Bills do not have to trade him. They chose to do so with Peters. Byrd will likely sign the franchise offer at some point if another deal is not done. The question then becomes what happens next.

Why do you keep saying this? Why are the Bills compelled to trade him? Byrd has limited options as long as the Bills hold the right to tag him. Byrd can either sign the offer, negotiate a new deal, or sit out. If he sits out one year, it will be detrimental to his career. If he sits out two, it would be career suicide.

Now, if the Bills feel that he isn't a vital cog in their scheme, they could certainly entertain offers but, again, they aren't compelled to do so. If there is some team out there that would have made him the highest paid S in the league, then Byrd should feel comfortable knowing that team will step up to the plate and offer the Bills the high draft pick compensation that's warranted. Anything less of an offer by that team suggests they really DON'T value Byrd as much as we thought.

Either way, the Bills are not in a position where they have to panic one way or the other.

GO BILLS!!!

i keep saying this because the Bills are not going to pay Byrd the amount he is asking. They are Likely $2m/yr off what they need to be. At about 2 weeks before the season starts, the Bills will realize they are not going to get him signed and honestly, regardless of holdout or not, they would be better off trading him away for something instead of getting nothing for him.

What are the possibilities of him holding out the entire season? Not much IMO. But it will be so close to the season the Bills won't have many options. At that point get something for someone that doesn't want to sign here.

What are the possibilities of the team tagging him again next season? Not likely. It doesn't happen much. Especially since the tag amount goes up a few more million next year. Of they were going to allow another franchise tag, then why not just sign him for what he's asking.

You've got your opinions and I've got mine, and I'm cemented in my belief that he's gone. I also keep saying I think he's worth the money and would want him on this team. But I'm fully prepared to lose him and expect it.

The sooner you accept it, the less likely you'll be pissed when it happens.

i keep saying this because the Bills are not going to pay Byrd the amount he is asking. They are Likely $2m/yr off what they need to be. At about 2 weeks before the season starts, the Bills will realize they are not going to get him signed and honestly, regardless of holdout or not, they would be better off trading him away for something instead of getting nothing for him.

What are the possibilities of him holding out the entire season? Not much IMO. But it will be so close to the season the Bills won't have many options. At that point get something for someone that doesn't want to sign here.

What are the possibilities of the team tagging him again next season? Not likely. It doesn't happen much. Especially since the tag amount goes up a few more million next year. Of they were going to allow another franchise tag, then why not just sign him for what he's asking.

You've got your opinions and I've got mine, and I'm cemented in my belief that he's gone. I also keep saying I think he's worth the money and would want him on this team. But I'm fully prepared to lose him and expect it.

There will be a better trade market after the season than there is now. The veteran player market at the minute is not generous. Even if the Bills don't want to pay Byrd they should wait out the season, then franchise and trade him afterward. Teams will have another year to evaluate and discard failed draft picks and to lose veterans to expired contracts, and will be looking to fill those spots.

I've seen you project the Bills trading Byrd at a discounted value. Do you think this is logical or do you just expect the Bills to make a poor decision?

Are we assuming Marrone and Whaley are clueless because past Bills coaches\GMs have been clueless?

Just trying to get it straight where you stand.

My take: Pay the man. If the only issue is money, then pay the man. If the problem is he thinks Buffalo is a loser franchise and he wants out of here, then there is not much we can do about it. The only option then would be to be be extremely hard bargainers and hold strong on the franchise tag no matter what even if he sits. Franchise him again next year to send a message to future free agents that you will not weasel your way out of Buffalo. You will be hurting yourself and your career if you try this bullsh*t. Pay the man if it's the money. After all, we've got cap space. He's a very good player who has no character issues and is very young. Unless there is something in the mix we don't know about here like injuries like Levitre's knee or something.

Edited by The Voice of Truth

There will be a better trade market after the season than there is now. The veteran player market at the minute is not generous. Even if the Bills don't want to pay Byrd they should wait out the season, then franchise and trade him afterward. Teams will have another year to evaluate and discard failed draft picks and to lose veterans to expired contracts, and will be looking to fill those spots.

I've seen you project the Bills trading Byrd at a discounted value. Do you think this is logical or do you just expect the Bills to make a poor decision?

Are we assuming Marrone and Whaley are clueless because past Bills coaches\GMs have been clueless?

Just trying to get it straight where you stand.

at about 2 weeks away from opening day, with Jairus not present yet, they will feel like they have no other choice but to get what they can for him. They won't make a bad decision only because with No word from Jairus at that point they will get what they can for him. It will most likely be a 2nd and a 4th or 5th (possible incentives to become a 4th if its a 5th).

I don't get your point about not trading him now and waiting until next year and better market value. It's the offseason now. What's the difference between this offseason and next offseason. If a team wants/needs a pro bowl safety they will be in the market.

I won't be pissed one way or another. It's all about rooting for laundry and it has been for years. The sooner you accept THAT, the sooner you'll let crap you have no control over roll off your back.

But my point is that the Bills aren't in a panic position when it comes to him. And if he's as good as we all think he is, why would they just settlle for whatever they can fetch in a trade? There is absolutely no need for them to get anything less than the compensation for a franchised player dictates. Again, if he's as good as everyone thinks he is, why would a team have ANY problem paying that price? If some team out there was going to make him the highest paid S in the league when he hit the market, why wouldn't they pony up the draft picks necessary to get him?

He's a great player and the type of guy you want in the locker room. And I would prefer the Bills find a way to keep him, if possible. But there are holes in his game and he's been exposed during his career. I can certainly see why the Bills would have a question about making him the highest paid S in the league. He's certainly not the best I've ever seen. Heck, he's not the best FS the Bills have ever had.

GO BILLS!!!

I won't be pissed one way or another. It's all about rooting for laundry and it has been for years. The sooner you accept THAT, the sooner you'll let crap you have no control over roll off your back.

But my point is that the Bills aren't in a panic position when it comes to him. And if he's as good as we all think he is, why would they just settlle for whatever they can fetch in a trade? There is absolutely no need for them to get anything less than the compensation for a franchised player dictates. Again, if he's as good as everyone thinks he is, why would a team have ANY problem paying that price? If some team out there was going to make him the highest paid S in the league when he hit the market, why wouldn't they pony up the draft picks necessary to get him?

He's a great player and the type of guy you want in the locker room. And I would prefer the Bills find a way to keep him, if possible. But there are holes in his game and he's been exposed during his career. I can certainly see why the Bills would have a question about making him the highest paid S in the league. He's certainly not the best I've ever seen. Heck, he's not the best FS the Bills have ever had.

GO BILLS!!!

i could care less as well. It's all about the Bills for me. He's just a player on the team I love. If he's here, ill continue to root for him, if he's not, I wish him the best on another team.

You say the Bills aren't in a position to panic? You say the Bills should just ride it out and wait? Wait another year as well and franchise him again you say?

I say the Bills will decide that they will not be put into that situation. They will not be bullied by Jairus and his agent like they were Peters. And they will get something for him while they can. It would also clear up millions of dollars in cap space for them by doing this.

FWIW, I feel they will trade Jairus for less than what they would like, and at the same time, Jairus will sign less than for what he demanded the Bills to pay him.

Then everyone in TBD will threaten to burn OBD down to the ground because we let Jairus go for a few crumby draft picks, when we could have signed him for XX dollars. Truth is, Jairus won't have as many options but to sign for less than what he's asking.

This is all my opinion. I think I'm done on this topic now. Well all see how it plays out. Hope I'm wrong but I've got a feeling about this one. Well all see as it plays out. Everyone will know if I'm right or wrong by opening day.