Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

Journeymen center (currently with the Wizards) Jason Collins has "come out" to Sports Illustrated. Granted, at his age, and the fact that he has bumped around the league, he is likely going to retire (he doesn't want to)...but interesting development. Unless I am forgetting, I think this is a first for one of the 4 major American pro sports leagues...

http://sportsillustr...gay-nba-player/

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for him..now hopefully it becomes the non story it should be in all of sports. Can the dude play? For me, I could not care less about an athletes sexuality.

Only thing i dont like about this is his age and his journeyman status. I know nothing about the NBA, but this is the type of guy who gets cut all the time in all the sports...hope the Wizards are now not beholden to keep him on the roster just so they are are not accused of being homophobic etc.

I know this has been a fear of many commentators...an older fringe player coming out to secure another year or two. Again, not saying this is why this guy did it,so everyone just relax

Edited by plenzmd1

It's a nice step but until one that is "in the locker room" is out, there's still going to be a big hurdle to clear. Several retired players have come out, no one active though, and this might not change that.

I may have mischaracterized it...he is not retired, and, according to the article, wants to play next season. Even without the possible "stigma" of coming out, it is possible he might not be signed by anyone anyways. He played for the Celtics (my team) for the first part of this season, but was part of a trade deadline deal..a throw in. He wasn't horrible, but nothing special on the court...but every NBA team needs depth at center, at some point during the season.

I may have mischaracterized it...he is not retired, and, according to the article, wants to play next season. Even without the possible "stigma" of coming out, it is possible he might not be signed by anyone anyways. He played for the Celtics (my team) for the first part of this season, but was part of a trade deadline deal..a throw in. He wasn't horrible, but nothing special on the court...but every NBA team needs depth at center, at some point during the season.

If you pay attention to John Hollinger's PER ratings, Collins' 3.01 rating last season would have been low enough to qualify for worst in the NBA...except he didn't log enough minutes. Safe to say he's washed up.

Still, I really applaud the courage in coming out when one's profession involves so much machismo.

Good for him..now hopefully it becomes the non story it should be in all of sports. Can the dude play? For me, I could not care less about an athletes sexuality.

Only thing i dont like about this is his age and his journeyman status. I know nothing about the NBA, but this is the type of guy who gets cut all the time in all the sports...hope the Wizards are now not beholden to keep him on the roster just so they are are not accused of being homophobic etc.

I know this has been a fear of many commentators...an older fringe player coming out to secure another year or two. Again, not saying this is why this guy did it,so everyone just relax

The thing is it won't become a non story............The next thing is who is the first non journeyman.........Then, each sport will have to have their first.

I know the situation, but until someone's out in a locker room I still don't know that the barrier has truly been crossed. It may soon be him but as of now I'm not counting on it.

That's my concern too: he's using this as leverage to get another year or two in the league. Boxing NBA into corner by saying if he doesn't get signed somewhere its because he came out. Rather than being an aging journeyman whose not very good.

That's my concern too: he's using this as leverage to get another year or two in the league. Boxing NBA into corner by saying if he doesn't get signed somewhere its because he came out. Rather than being an aging journeyman whose not very good.

I would think, like any industry, no reason needs to be given for not hiring someone. Complain all you want.

So glad that our society continues to evolve and give all citizens the opportunity for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - just like the Constitution promises.

Amen,sister!

Seems like everyone on the NBA has been very supportive of Collins so far...Chris Broussard of ESPN (a good NBA analyst) has been the lone voice of criticism...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-espn-chris-broussard-sparks-uproar-after-jason-collins-remarks-20130429,0,1157118.story

No offense Joe, but you always have the strangest "concerns". Did you ever stop to think that an NBA owner might want to sign him just for the publicity? What do you want to bet Mark Cuban signs him? Who is boxing who into a corner? There are plenty of journeymen NBA centers in the leauge who are every bit as useless as Collins is, on the court. Centers, no matter how limited their talents are, are not easy to come by. Don't concern yourself so much...

If you pay attention to John Hollinger's PER ratings, Collins' 3.01 rating last season would have been low enough to qualify for worst in the NBA...except he didn't log enough minutes. Safe to say he's washed up.

Still, I really applaud the courage in coming out when one's profession involves so much machismo.

He's a large bodied center. Watch the playoffs, every team has one (some even two) guys just like Collins to play in junk time, or to spell a starter who is gassed, or in foul trouble. They are simply there to take up space on the defensive end, and maybe grab a rebound here or there...not much else. Collins barely played in Boston (the team I follow) while he was there...it is kind of hard to judge someone as the worst, if they never really play.