Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And it would be hypocritical for ESPN to fire him since a majority of their viewers probably make up Jewish, christian and Muslim faith." - Throw in Atheists, and you've pretty much included the entire world.

"If Collins really was this all understanding good guy bent on inclusion, he should make a similar statement too and let guys like Wallace and broussard off the hook." - So .. in order for Collins to prove himself worthy of "inclusion," he needs to publicly forgive people for being ignorant asses. Brilliant.

Atheists wouldn't call him a sinner because that would require a belief in god and absolute norms of behavior.

And yes if Collins wants to hold others to a standard of tolerance in beliefs and lifestyle of others, he should display those same traits.

Keep trying to deny the fact that Christians, Jews, Muslims and Atheists make up more than half of the world, Einstein.

Hey, you're the one that linked to a study of US religious participation to prove a bull **** statement about the whole world that you're now backing away from.

Note that I'm not even calling you an idiot or a moron about it. That's because you've made it so self-evident, I don't need to.

Hey, you're the one that linked to a study of US religious participation to prove a bull **** statement about the whole world that you're now backing away from.

Note that I'm not even calling you an idiot or a moron about it. That's because you've made it so self-evident, I don't need to.

Now you're just boring me, Tom. I'm sure I'm not alone.

broussard should not be suspended IMO.....the PC police shouldn't run over everyone............good for Collins, happy that he was able to get this huge weight off his chest.

people that disprove though should be able to do so and it doesn't seem that's the case anymore. make an anti-gay comment or "the bible says marriage is a man and a woman" comment and you will be trampled nowadays it seems.

broussard does suck..........but is he not allowed to live by the bible? is he wrong for alledgedly being a devout christian? interpretation gets real funny sometimes...

gay non-gay whatever floats your boat i say.......but bible thumpers have had certain thoughts ingrained since a very young age.........hard to fault either side.

I listened to Jason Whitlock's podcast yesterday. He thinks that this is as big as Jackie Robinson and he thinks the homophobia in the black community is a major problem (he knows a woman who has AIDS due to the fact that her husband was doing this downlow thing - married guys being gay on the side).

And, even though he disagrees totally with Broussard, he said he is one of the best people he's ever known. He said he is deeply religious and he knew those would be his thoughts.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying..........In a similar vein, I listened to Tony Kornheiser's radio show today (from yesterday - damn sales weasels). He's in Washington, and started the show by saying obviously the big news of the day is that Jason Collins is a Washington Wizard - who knew?.................I guess he got traded there from Boston in a deadline deal.

Now the next thing will be the first male athlete from the big four sports that somebody had heard of before Monday.

Bingo! That is why this is a much bigger deal than some of you seem to realize. The Jackie Robinson comparisons might be a little over-dramatic, but they are appropriate in some ways. The first makes it easier for the second, third, so on and so forth. There are plenty of celebrites who have "come out" over the years, so as been said, it is no big deal. There have been few athletes...and we usually remember who they are. There is a reason for that too...

Bingo! That is why this is a much bigger deal than some of you seem to realize. The Jackie Robinson comparisons might be a little over-dramatic, but they are appropriate in some ways. The first makes it easier for the second, third, so on and so forth. There are plenty of celebrites who have "come out" over the years, so as been said, it is no big deal. There have been few athletes...and we usually remember who they are. There is a reason for that too...

again, ill point out - until he actually is on a roster next year no boundary has been broken yet. other athletes without a team have come out, it just hasnt been a guy in the locker room, on the field/court, one that has to face fans and teammates.... Former 49ers offensive lineman Kwame Harris was outed just this year, but is a couple years removed from play for example.

this getting positive attention is still good though for those that may be thinking about living openly in the future.

Edited by NoSaint

For sure. Coming out at the tail end of his career, during the offseason no less, just doesn't compare to Jackie. In order to be the type of trail blazer that Jackie Robinson was he's going to have to blow a guy at center court in front of 30,000 hostile fans.

For sure. Coming out at the tail end of his career, during the offseason no less, just doesn't compare to Jackie. In order to be the type of trail blazer that Jackie Robinson was he's going to have to blow a guy at center court in front of 30,000 hostile fans.

Seriously. Some people are so desperate to have a hero for their cause, they're willing to create a hero where no hero exists.

And I may take some flak for this but was Jackie really a hero? Who really took the chance here? Jackie or the Dodgers? They approached him and said "you wanna play first base for us?" and Jackie probably said "!@#$ yeah!!"

also listened to the Jason Collins/Bill Simmons podcast and Collins is pretty low key about the whole thing. He's smart (Stanford) his backup Center was Jason Segal (forgetting Sarah Marshall) funny movie IMO. It's out there and lets move on is pretty much the tone. He just wants to play some basketball.

And I may take some flak for this but was Jackie really a hero? Who really took the chance here? Jackie or the Dodgers? They approached him and said "you wanna play first base for us?" and Jackie probably said "!@#$ yeah!!"

I consider him more of a pioneer than a hero, but a hero, nonetheless. The fact that Whitie picked the most talented black baseball player who happened to be better spoken than 99% of white people back then was noteworthy as well. That said, Jackie Robinson is a hero, in my opinion, simply because he literally risked his life for his race and others.

I consider him more of a pioneer than a hero, but a hero, nonetheless. The fact that Whitie picked the most talented black baseball player who happened to be better spoken than 99% of white people back then was noteworthy as well. That said, Jackie Robinson is a hero, in my opinion, simply because he literally risked his life for his race and others.

I never really thought about him risking his life but it was a different time and he may very well have been.

Keep trying to deny the fact that Christians, Jews, Muslims and Atheists make up more than half of the world, Einstein.

LOL is that what you thought with your comment "Throw in Atheists, and you've pretty much included the entire world." Completely missing a billion Hindus in India and probably more than a billion Buddhists in China, Japan and other Asian countries. No where near "the entire world" without these Asian religions. Your post was even more ignorant than I thought, what a hick!

I never really thought about him risking his life but it was a different time and he may very well have been.

I remember being afraid that Hank Aaron was going to get assassinated during the winter when he was at 713 home runs. I figured if he was getting death threats approaching 714 at the end of the season, somebody now has a whole off season to hatch a plan to do that.

And, that was at least 25 years after Jackie Robinson.