Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

The Red Sox have invited him to throw out a first pitch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/redsox/2013/04/29/red-sox-invite-openly-gay-jason-collins-to-throw-out-first-pitch/2121751/

I hope he practices. A lot of people skip em in, and if he limp wrists one into the dirt, the 'mos are right back at square one. B-)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad that our society continues to evolve and give all citizens the opportunity for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - just like the Constitution promises.

In the late 80's and early 90's I used to follow tennis pretty closely. I remember once getting free tickets to see the Virgina Slims tournament at Madison Square Garden. All the big name female players were slated. Everyone was there to see Chrissy, me included. However, Martina Navratilova, that day, became one of the people I admire most... not only was schooling younger players late in her career, but she put up with some of the nastiest, foul, insults from the crowd. She heard them, and discarded them, with such dignity and grace. The thing that struck me then, was how it seemed to be completely acceptable to throw slurs her way, even in a liberal city like New York. I can't imagine that happening now...and that is a good thing. I have heard Martina speak about those days a few times...talking about having to be robotic, and pretend she didn't hear things, or have any feelings.

WAIT.....did someone above really use getting heckled in NEW YORK CITY as an example of UNIQUE mistreatment?

Come on.

This is a great first step and, hopefully, an open door through which others can follow.

There was a "ban" on gay players before today?

So glad that our society continues to evolve and give all citizens the opportunity for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - just like the Constitution promises.

Please help me understand what rights Collins was denied before today. {writer's note: this is the THIRD time Im posting my comments on the subject. Im not being offensive at all or joking about the story, so Im unclear as to why they are getting removed. If you delete the comments this time pony up an explanation as to why.}

Edited by RkFast

Possibly health care for a partner/spouse.

And I know you have discounted this and I know its not a right, but his ability to live his life on a socially equal level as heterosexual... And yes that includes not being heckled for being gay.

And not to speak for the mods but your'tone' could be viewed as trying to bait responders in such a way as to quickly take thread to PPP.

WAIT.....did someone above really use getting heckled in NEW YORK CITY as an example of UNIQUE mistreatment?

Come on.

Please help me understand what rights Collins was denied before today. {writer's note: this is the THIRD time Im posting my comments on the subject. Im not being offensive at all or joking about the story, so Im unclear as to why they are getting removed. If you delete the comments this time pony up an explanation as to why.}

Edited by The Poojer

Seems like everyone on the NBA has been very supportive of Collins so far...Chris Broussard of ESPN (a good NBA analyst) has been the lone voice of criticism...

This is offensive, Broussard is an awful analyst and a worse "reporter" who habitually plagerizes scoops from other insiders and passes them off as his own. Total scumbag. Now, what did he say about this story?

This is offensive, Broussard is an awful analyst and a worse "reporter" who habitually plagerizes scoops from other insiders and passes them off as his own. Total scumbag. Now, what did he say about this story?

Ah... his opinion was based completely on his interpritation of Christianity and what defines a good Christian...his was a "faith based" voice of opposition.

And I know you have discounted this and I know its not a right, but his ability to live his life on a socially equal level as heterosexual... And yes that includes not being heckled for being gay.

That's not a right.

Rude, and poor behavior? Yes But it's not a right that someone's feelings are protected.

Ah... his opinion was based completely on his interpritation of Christianity and what defines a good Christian...his was a "faith based" voice of opposition.

If one's religion supports discrimination, then the problem is the religion; not the person being discriminated against.

If one's religion supports discrimination, then the problem is the religion; not the person being discriminated against.

Yeah, I wasn't agreeig with it, just answering the question that was posed.."what did Broussard say?"

Come on.

Mine get deleted as fast as I hit post. Only one opinion allowed here.

http://www.sun-senti...,0,424020.story

and dolphins WR mike wallace chimes in with a comment probably better left for his friends than twitter:

"all these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess around with other guys smh"

Sometimes malicious hatred is easier to swallow than this sort of thing...a blissful ignorance in which one simply can't or won't acknowledge that people perceive the world differently.