Current NBA player comes out...Jason Collins

Buftex

LOL is that what you thought with your comment "Throw in Atheists, and you've pretty much included the entire world." Completely missing a billion Hindus in India and probably more than a billion Buddhists in China, Japan and other Asian countries. No where near "the entire world" without these Asian religions. Your post was even more ignorant than I thought, what a hick!

And maybe half a billion in "traditional" religions, and confuse "agnostic" with "athiest," and then back away from "pretty much the entire world" to "more than half"...

Yeah, he's a bigger idiot than you are. And that's really saying something.

I never really thought about him risking his life but it was a different time and he may very well have been.

He probably was...but just risking your life (for a game, no less) doesn't make one heroic. Fig has it right (yeah, that hurts to type. A lot) calling him a "pioneer," which is no small compliment itself.

(And just to remind you all - my standard for "hero" is very high, and I cringe at how overused the word is in American culture. If you disagree...well, that's entirely within your right, to be wrong.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And maybe half a billion in "traditional" religions, and confuse "agnostic" with "athiest," and then back away from "pretty much the entire world" to "more than half"...

He probably was...but just risking your life (for a game, no less) doesn't make one heroic. Fig has it right (yeah, that hurts to type. A lot) calling him a "pioneer," which is no small compliment itself.

(And just to remind you all - my standard for "hero" is very high, and I cringe at how overused the word is in American culture. If you disagree...well, that's entirely within your right, to be wrong.)

I. Just. Shed a tear.

And I over-exaggerated with the "pretty much the entire world." Mea culpa.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?

Seriously. Some people are so desperate to have a hero for their cause, they're willing to create a hero where no hero exists.

I guess it depends on how you define "hero"... but lets face it, you aren't a closeted gay male athlete (I don't think?), so, obviously he wouldn't be a "hero" to you, or most anyone else here. There is no doubt that things get overstated nowadays, but consider, maybe his "coming out" in a male team sport makes it easier for some high school kid in the future to play a team sport, not having to worry about keeping his essence a secret, or being subjected to humiliation. To that kid, Collins might be a "hero", and what business does anyone else have telling him otherwise? As much as this thing may be overstated by the media (lets face it, what isn't overstated by the media in this day and age?), it seems many are going out of their way to make it seem as if it is just some insignificant moment.

Edited by Buftex

Bingo! That is why this is a much bigger deal than some of you seem to realize. The Jackie Robinson comparisons might be a little over-dramatic, but they are appropriate in some ways. The first makes it easier for the second, third, so on and so forth. There are plenty of celebrites who have "come out" over the years, so as been said, it is no big deal. There have been few athletes...and we usually remember who they are. There is a reason for that too...

And people forget, or don't realize, that there were two other black players in baseball the same year as Jackie Robinson, he just happen to make it on the field first. For those that really want to get technical, he wasn't even the first black player on an interracial team, he just happen the be the first during this modern era of baseball.

You're an idiot!!

Chef Jim...........Hero.

2013-05-04-KPAGR.jpg

Per a response to this cartoon I saw earlier this week:

"Well, Tim Tebow is a hero. He's spent his whole life dealing with persecution from the gays, the gays telling him he's going to hell and that his lifestyle is amoral, being ostracized and disowned by his family for being christian, seeing some of his christian friends bullied to the point of committing suicide plus the fact that gays are such a majority in this country (at about 75%) and christians are such a minority. There's usually only like 1 or 2 christians in each town and their forced to hide in the shadows and live a lie to the point that it slowly drives them insane, while the gays have cathedrals and churches on nearly every street in the country..."

Per a response to this cartoon I saw earlier this week:

"Well, Tim Tebow is a hero. He's spent his whole life dealing with persecution from the gays, the gays telling him he's going to hell and that his lifestyle is amoral, being ostracized and disowned by his family for being christian, seeing some of his christian friends bullied to the point of committing suicide plus the fact that gays are such a majority in this country (at about 75%) and christians are such a minority. There's usually only like 1 or 2 christians in each town and their forced to hide in the shadows and live a lie to the point that it slowly drives them insane, while the gays have cathedrals and churches on nearly every street in the country..."

Love it.