MMD 2013 Draft threads - Hold on to your socks

We're not going anywhere next year the way we sit, we need a huge draft from a deep draft. Knowing that the talent doesn't fall off much from the 15th pick to the 115th pick, we need to go deep. So here's the plan:

1.) Trade our #8 pick to Falcons - Our compensation is #30, #60, and #92 plus their next years 1st round pick (Value on the chart is a Bills ahead a bit)

2.) Trade Byrd to San Fran - Our compensation is their #31 / #34 pick & some type of extra 6th. Byrd is leaving after this season so keeping him gets us nowhere quicker. Byrd's already unhappy as well.

When you combine all our picks you get us picking at #30, #31, #34, #41, #60, #71, #92, #105 or 8 picks in the first 3 1/3 rounds of a deep draft. These are all doable deals & have huge merit. Let's come up with drafting scenario's as well, I'll set the table for copy / paste:

#30 Pick -

#31 Pick -

#34 Pick -

#41 Pick -

#60 Pick -

#71 Pick -

#92 Pick -

#105 Pick -

Go Billls!!

The best teams are a combination of strong QBing, and a few stars at any position, surrounded by several strong players across the offense and defense, with solid cogs and role players mixed in. The Bills right now have no QBing, one or two stars, and a couple strong players, and littered with role players. You don't find stars generally by picking up a lot of 2nds and 3rds just because we have a bunch of holes to fill. Stars are usually drafted high. Of course there are exceptions but the odds are not good.

We need stars so we need to take one at 8, or get two first rounders in the top 25, and it's possible but unlikely to get strong QBing outside of the top 15.

Just out of curiosity, are you of the opinion that Nix is a good evaluator of talent and does a good job drafting?

I see a lot of trade down threads to acquire more picks but also hear that Nix's draft suck for the most part.

#30 Pick - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame

#31 Pick - Nassib - QB - Syracuse

#34 Pick - Keenan Allen - WR - Cal

#41 Pick - Menelik Watson - OT - Florida State

#60 Pick - Jon Bostic - ILB - Florida

#71 Pick - Jamie Collins - DE/OLB - Southern Miss

#92 Pick - Sean Porter - OLB - Texas A&M

#105 Pick - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers

Just out of curiosity, are you of the opinion that Nix is a good evaluator of talent and does a good job drafting?

I see a lot of trade down threads to acquire more picks but also hear that Nix's draft suck for the most part.

There's strength in numbers, to put it nice for Nix's sake.

#30 Pick - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame

#31 Pick - Nassib - QB - Syracuse

#34 Pick - Keenan Allen - WR - Cal

#41 Pick - Menelik Watson - OT - Florida State

#60 Pick - Jon Bostic - ILB - Florida

#71 Pick - Jamie Collins - DE/OLB - Southern Miss

#92 Pick - Sean Porter - OLB - Texas A&M

#105 Pick - Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers

I would love that draft, I would bet anything however, your first two picks are already gone by the time we draft. So it's a moot point.

It would change the course of the team if I was even close, we're so in need of more talent & depth. This is draft to get us back in order & right now we're sitting with very few picks.

It's easy to have an awesome mock draft when you're selecting players that aren't going to be there. I would probably bet that both of those guys are gone in the top 20. It's impossible to know for sure, obviously. Eifert is one of the biggest sure things in the draft, at a position which is skyrocketing up the importance level. I think Nassib is going high, regardless of its validity, the same way Ponder and Tannehill and Gabbert and Locker and others have recently.

We're not going anywhere next year the way we sit, we need a huge draft from a deep draft. Knowing that the talent doesn't fall off much from the 15th pick to the 115th pick, we need to go deep. So here's the plan:

1.) Trade our #8 pick to Falcons - Our compensation is #30, #60, and #92 plus their next years 1st round pick (Value on the chart is a Bills ahead a bit)

2.) Trade Byrd to San Fran - Our compensation is their #31 / #34 pick & some type of extra 6th. Byrd is leaving after this season so keeping him gets us nowhere quicker. Byrd's already unhappy as well.

When you combine all our picks you get us picking at #30, #31, #34, #41, #60, #71, #92, #105 or 8 picks in the first 3 1/3 rounds of a deep draft. These are all doable deals & have huge merit. Let's come up with drafting scenario's as well, I'll set the table for copy / paste:

#30 Pick -

#31 Pick -

#34 Pick -

#41 Pick -

#60 Pick -

#71 Pick -

#92 Pick -

#105 Pick -

Go Billls!!

1) why would Atlanta give up a #8 for 3 picks? They have no dire need that they can't fill with those picks... they did finish in the top two of the NFC.

2) why would SF give up their 1st rd pick + pay him $9m/yr? They just signed their starting free safety from the Rams. Their is no dire need to acquire Byrd... they have 14 picks in this draft they will use some picks to move up and they will probably trade some of those picks for picks in 2014. They have no need to add a soft safety to a physical defense and inflate their salary cap.

I read some stuff elsewhere about swapping with Tampa. I think that came from a Freeman thread, but not sure if that is viable without the trade. IF for some reason Tampa wanted to move up, for say Milliner, trade down with them for 2 2nds. Then if we could move down again with the Falcons for 2 1sts and 2 2nds. I would be all for it....I think?

It is a tough spot because in theory by trading down you lose talent, and boy do we need talent.

Also not for trading Byrd, as long as he is willing to sign an extension

It's easy to have an awesome mock draft when you're selecting players that aren't going to be there. I would probably bet that both of those guys are gone in the top 20. It's impossible to know for sure, obviously. Eifert is one of the biggest sure things in the draft, at a position which is skyrocketing up the importance level. I think Nassib is going high, regardless of its validity, the same way Ponder and Tannehill and Gabbert and Locker and others have recently.

QBs do have the tendency to go higher, so you may have somethin' there. Personally, I'm not enamored by any of these QBs, so I'd love to see the Bills get very good players @ other positions that will fill holes and solve problems as opposed to graspin' @ straws by takin' a QB for the sake of takin' one. Draftin' for need has always worked out so well in the past, especially for the Bills, huh?

1) why would Atlanta give up a #8 for 3 picks? They have no dire need that they can't fill with those picks... they did finish in the top two of the NFC.

2) why would SF give up their 1st rd pick + pay him $9m/yr? They just signed their starting free safety from the Rams. Their is no dire need to acquire Byrd... they have 14 picks in this draft they will use some picks to move up and they will probably trade some of those picks for picks in 2014. They have no need to add a soft safety to a physical defense and inflate their salary cap.

Byrd would probably eliminate the reason SF lost the Superbowl, deep passing.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

Not to mention that they just let a sure thing, Goldson, go because they didn't want to pay him that much.

Not to mention that they just let a sure thing, Goldson, go because they didn't want to pay him that much.

You're completely discounting that I want this trade to happen and how much impact that has on the 49ers decision.

#30 Pick - Cordarelle Patterson WR Tennesee (available here in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#31 Pick - Matt Barkley QB USC (available here in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#34 Pick - Zac Ertz TE Stanford (not in forst round in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#41 Pick - Kyle Long OG Oregon (not in forst round in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com

#60 Pick - Philip Thomas S Texas

#71 Pick - Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennesee Tech

#92 Pick - Logan Ryan CB Rutgers

#105 Pick - Jon Bostic ILB Florida

#30 Pick - Cordarelle Patterson WR Tennesee (available here in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#31 Pick - Matt Barkley QB USC (available here in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#34 Pick - Zac Ertz TE Stanford (not in forst round in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com)

#41 Pick - Kyle Long OG Oregon (not in forst round in Don Bank's mock on cnnsi.com

#60 Pick - Philip Thomas S Texas

#71 Pick - Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennesee Tech

#92 Pick - Logan Ryan CB Rutgers

#105 Pick - Jon Bostic ILB Florida

Wow, this is a really good one as well.

I know the spirit of the thread is what if - but I believe Nix can still come away from this draft with 4 starters - without trading. By position, QB rd1, TE Ertz / ILB rd2, WR rd 3, and TE / ILB - whichever wasn't drafted in 2nd, rd 4. I think the draft is deep enough to get starters at those places.

I know the spirit of the thread is what if - but I believe Nix can still come away from this draft with 4 starters - without trading. By position, QB rd1, TE Ertz / ILB rd2, WR rd 3, and TE / ILB - whichever wasn't drafted in 2nd, rd 4. I think the draft is deep enough to get starters at those places.

An additional 5 picks increases the chances, even if we lose one starter.

Here's another scenario:

3.) Trade our 8th pick with Vikings - Our compensation is #23 & #25 pick.

So we'd have Picks #23, #25, #31, #34, #41, #71, #105 or 7 picks in the first 3 1/3 rounds of a deep draft. These are all doable deals & have huge merit. Let's come up with drafting scenario's as well, I'll set the table for copy / paste:

#23 Pick -

#25 Pick -

#31 Pick -

#34 Pick -

#41 Pick -

#71 Pick -

#105 Pick -

Go Billls!!

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

Again I don't see the Niners trading high draft picks for Byrd, signing him to a mega-contract, etc. when they just let Dashon Goldson walk.

There are some good safeties in this draft and IMO the Niners could spend fewer picks in a trade up to get one of them… or see if one falls to them. And it would save them a ton of money.

Again I don't see the Niners trading high draft picks for Byrd, signing him to a mega-contract, etc. when they just let Dashon Goldson walk.

There are some good safeties in this draft and IMO the Niners could spend fewer picks in a trade up to get one of them… or see if one falls to them. And it would save them a ton of money.

Drafting them doesn't make them a sure bet, like Byrd.

Byrd not signing his tender or whatever you call it does not mean he is unhappy. I would hope he stays on our team, I hate sending good players off to draft what, maybe busts. You try to keep your (proven) drafted talent. I hope they are working on doing so, now or at least before the beginning of the season. I am alright with trading back in the draft, UNLESS they miss their guy doing it. I really don't think if you throw more **** at the wall, flowers will necessarily grow at the base of the wall.

Byrd not signing his tender or whatever you call it does not mean he is unhappy. I would hope he stays on our team, I hate sending good players off to draft what, maybe busts. You try to keep your (proven) drafted talent. I hope they are working on doing so, now or at least before the beginning of the season. I am alright with trading back in the draft, UNLESS they miss their guy doing it. I really don't think if you throw more **** at the wall, flowers will necessarily grow at the base of the wall.

There's plenty of **** all over the room already, when need a clean-up crew.

It would change the course of the team if I was even close, we're so in need of more talent & depth. This is draft to get us back in order & right now we're sitting with very few picks.

You're never back in order until you have a QB. Wishing Nassib was there at #31 is a risky proposition if he's the QB you like. Most teams aren't totally stacked and if they are it doesn't last long and it blows up.

#30 Pick -

#31 Pick -

#34 Pick -

#41 Pick -

#60 Pick -

#71 Pick -

#92 Pick -

#105 Pick -

Go Billls!!

well, if this actually happened, it would be the play of the 2013 draft

The whole idea of trading Byrd is nonsense. I doubt Pettine would be in favor of getting rid of one of his best young players on defense. A ballhawking playmaker at that... The Bills will sit down after the draft and workout a long term deal with Byrd's agent...

If one of the 3 stuff OTs is left on the board when the Bills draft at 8, they will have a chance to trade back and get more picks. IMO no one after them in the first round will be drafting a QB. Use their 2nd and the extra pick from moving back to move into the end of the first and get the top QB on their board. Risky but the conservative approach has gotten them nothing in the QB derby since Jimbo retired.

You traded the 8th overall and Byrd for a net of 3 draft picks that leave us at 30 & 31 in the first round? I think they can do better than that. St. Louis needs a safety and has two first round picks. Byrd to the Rams for a 1st. Bengals have 2 second picks, see if they would like to move up- someone will in the first round to jump over the Jets- anyway- 1st (8th) to the Bengals for their 1st (21st) and their 2nd (37th). That's even on the trade value chart. That gives them:

1-16

1-21

2-37

2-41

3-71

plus their 4th, 5th and 6th round picks. Looking at all the mock drafts. This is what I would do.

1-16 Tavon Austin- WR

1-21 Fluker/Warmack/Cooper- OL- if any of the 3 are left or Eifert TE if he is still there.

2-37 Ryan Nassib- QB

2-41 Reid/Elam- S

3-71 Terrance Williams- WR

4- LB/CB

5-LB/CB

6-Whatever is left.

Knowing the Bills, they will not do anything worthwhile, blow the 8th overall on Nassib,...and not sign Byrd and he walks after this year for nothing.

2013 Bills draft picks:

8. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse: Jets forced their hand.

41. BB - Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee: For our quick uptempo offense.

71. Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Tennessee Tech: We're making the offense better, now.

105. Alex Okafor - DE - Texas: Yeah, he falls that far down & we can't resist.

143. Dion Sims - TE - Michigan State: 6'5" & 262 LBS, just throw him the ball then lookout.

177. Nico Johnson - ILB - Alabama: Dansby has to mentor somebody.

Top Ten Draft picks:

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Fisher - OT - Central Michigan: Has the Edge on Luke.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dion Jordan - OLB - Oregon: Biggest need looks to be filled.

3. Oakland Raiders: Luke Joeckel -OT - Texas A&M - Prayed for Eric but will take LJ.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson - OT - Oklahoma: Securing the trenches.

5. Detroit Lions: Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama: Jets won't play ball on the Lions demand, so they cook them.

6. Cleveland Browns: Star Lotulelei - DT - Utah: Can be put anywhere on the line.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Ziggy Ansah DE - BYU: BPA.

8. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse: Jets forced their hand.

9. New York Jets: Barkevious Mingo - OLB - LSU: Part of the rebuild that needs some time.

10. Tennessee Titans: Sharrif Floyd - DT - Florida: BPA