Bills sign LB Marcus Dowtin

Well, I certainly hope he succeeds . . . but my first reaction is that he is small for a LB, is he just a younger version of Bryan Scott?

I have been looking at this since yesterday evening. If he is a Bryan Scott type then this could be huge. I want to know if he can blitz from the D backfield - something Scott cannot do.

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Whether or not we like Bryan Scott, I think we all like the idea of what he was supposed to play: the tweener LB who plays in nickel formations, and is tasked with marking the TE. This is especially important since Pettine seem to be talking about playing a lot of nickel.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny all the negative posts.. A position of need, a guy who played for one of the new coaches, great measurables. Why not take a look? He will still have to make the team. He might be a depth player and a special teamer.

BTW, Considering that they have NFL tape on this guy I like his chances better than a round 5/6 guy from this years draft.

Good singing!

Funny all the negative posts.. A position of need, a guy who played for one of the new coaches, great measurables. Why not take a look? He will still have to make the team. He might be a depth player and a special teamer.

BTW, Considering that they have NFL tape on this guy I like his chances better than a round 5/6 guy from this years draft.

Good singing!

I don't see much, if any negative. He's a "can't hurt to give it a shot" signing. He doesn't change any plans going forward today, but come August maybe he does. Right now he's the type of guy that will have to play his way into the final 53, and maybe he will.

I don't see much, if any negative. He's a "can't hurt to give it a shot" signing. He doesn't change any plans going forward today, but come August maybe he does. Right now he's the type of guy that will have to play his way into the final 53, and maybe he will.

Maybe he is this year's Freddie Jackson...on the defensive side of course. It is these types of "cast offs" that have hunger in their bellies.

7) Wait, really? We have Pettine here and the only guy he brings in from his time with the Jets is guy?!

8) I really have to imagine this guy is brought in more for his work at the LB position.

All respect, I think 7) is reading too much into the situation.

This is an opportunistic signing. Pettine knows the kid and presumably thinks well of him, the Iggles cut him, we scooped him up. That doesn't mean we haven't tried to sign or won't sign other Jets - for some FA, I think we're waiting to see how the draft falls. Other players may have been approached, when the agents and the FO are involved that's business, nothing personal to Pettine. If the price and contract are right they sign, if they're wrong they go elsewhere or wait. We wanted DeVito and he signed elsewhere.

I do think you're correct that this kid is here for his potential as a LB.

One also must consider that while Pettine clearly knows something and the Jets' D has historically been good, it's fallen off the last 2 seasons and number of their players "aged out" (Pouha, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Bell, all over 30). They still have great DB but what else? Personnel decisions on D may have been one motivation for Pettine to move on. Do we really want the Bills to open the checkbook for a bunch of 34 yr olds?

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. Whether or not we like Bryan Scott, I think we all like the idea of what he was supposed to play: the tweener LB who plays in nickel formations, and is tasked with marking the TE. This is especially important since Pettine seem to be talking about playing a lot of nickel.

And whatever D formation we play, one thing I do NOT want to hear, ever again, is "43 is the Mike" emitted from the lips of Thomas Brady.

Maybe he is this year's Freddie Jackson...on the defensive side of course. It is these types of "cast offs" that have hunger in their bellies.

40 of them get cut in camp never to be heard of again. Every few years one makes it. I hope he's the one but there's a certain sense of being real here. He's at a thin position (especially lacking depth) so he will get a real look.... But as much as many are saying pettine loves him, he loved him enough to cut him a couple months ago knowing the jets were likely losing a lot of linebackers and would need cheap bodies real soon.

I maintain - you hope he overachieves but odds are he is a fringe guy. Nothing wrong with that. Well bring in 30-40 more like him and a couple will help us out, you just don't count on any specific one til they prove it.

I would like to think the reason Pettine isn't grabbing a bunch of ex-Jets is because he likes what he has to work with here and he doesn't think the guys the Jets released would be an upgrade over what we have. I still think one of the ex-Jet LB's like Scott or Pace will be brought in on the cheap to be depth and help teach the system but outside of that not much.

Who is saying Pettine loves him? I'm saying (and reading) Pettine knows him, that's all. It's not like bringing in a fringe guy based on a couple film clips and combine numbers.

Well also how do we know that Pettine cut him?

Pettine might have had some input but seeing as Rex is a DC by trade, I'm thinking it was mostly his call.

A lot of people complained early in FA when we lost some "great" special team guys and were all up in arms. Sounds like this guy is a replacement for them and maybe, just maybe, a defense contributor. I agree with those saying it doesn't mean he will make the team. We need to cut what, 40 some players at some point? I say bring in everybody that may contribute and see what they have to offer. The more you throw out, the better the rest will be. Also, just because coaches bring in players they know doesn't mean they are playing favorites or they "love" the guy. It just means they know a bit of what they are going to get from them and feel they deserve "a chance".

Some fans want to jump on or off the cliff. I just want to enjoy the view and see what happens.

Who is saying Pettine loves him? I'm saying (and reading) Pettine knows him, that's all. It's not like bringing in a fringe guy based on a couple film clips and combine numbers.

Several have said or implied it. Or resident "draft expert" even claims this takes ogletree or teo off our boards. All I was saying is this is a fringe guy.

Well also how do we know that Pettine cut him?

Pettine might have had some input but seeing as Rex is a DC by trade, I'm thinking it was mostly his call.

Truly we don't know the dynamic one way or the other behind closed doors but I find it unlikely pettine really went our of his way to try to keep him if he was cut.

I always loved this Buffalo Bills dumpster dive: Jamon Meredith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamon_Meredith

This gave me a nice chuckle. I see he must interview well as he's been on the roster, at some point, of like 8 or 9 teams.

All I can think of about this line backer is Maybin had more roster staying power than him.

I like this type of signing. Nix/Whaley have proven they are excellent dumpster divers. Whenever we pick up a young promising player off another team, it's a win-win situation. No sarcasm.

well, i agree.

but this in humor has me liking him.....and drawing a $15,750 fine for an October 28 hit on Miami quarterback Matt Moore.

those that say we need an edge ? Bradham and Bowtie will tear up special teams tackling.

But as much as many are saying pettine loves him, he loved him enough to cut him a couple months ago knowing the jets were likely losing a lot of linebackers and would need cheap bodies real soon.

How much of a stretch is it to think that pettine cut him so he could have a chance to develop him somewhere else? I know that probably sounds far flung, but didn't Pettine basically know he wasn't going to be back? That would be a hell of a play as a coach if it was true... ahhh wishful thinking.