Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Maybe the Bills are actually ahead of the curve on this thing. They bring in the Syracuse coach, and half his staff including O-coordinator and thereby eliminate much of the learning curve for this talented young QB from 'Cuse. With a few tweaks he can hit the ground running with NFL talent alongside him. I was more of a Glennon guy but I'm buying into the Nassib hype since he obviously became a very good QB with this regime.

I see the Colts are now trying to bring in Andrew Luck's O-coordinator from Stanford, so maybe the Bills are in front with a new trend.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW....how did you find SU games on youtube??..I typed in a bunch of stuff and couldn't find anything...just highlights and interviews...

Do a youtube search for "Nassib" and you will get results for Nassib cut-ups for I think 5 different SU games this year

Those include the 4 that I watched.

-Jon

Edited by jonramz

I haven't formed an opinion about Nassib one way or another (nor am I fully qualified to do so), but just because he played for Marrone/Hackett at Syracuse doesn't mean that:

1. The Bills offense will be the same scheme they ran at Syracuse

2. That Nassib is good enough to play in the NFL, even if they run the same system as Syracuse did.

3. Even if he is good enough, no guarantee that it won't take him considerable time to learn to read NFL defenses and adapt the the increased talent level of the opponents.

We know that Fitz is not quite good enough to get this team to the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that any of a large number of rookies from this class are as good or better than Fitz (immediately or ever).

You are right - it was an over simplification on my end to assume that he could step right in an play immediately. I will say this. If Marrone feels that he can be a top 10 QB in the NFL and wants to draft him with the 8th pick than he is making the right choice. Marrone will know better than anyone.

Nice post, I concur with much of your analysis. I hate to spout blasphemy on here, but when I see Nassib step into a throw on film, it reminds me of a younger Jimbo. Maybe the #12 has undue influence on what my subconscious mind is processing, but I can't be the only one who thought this!

I love the idea that our staff has more knowledge of this guy than any other team will have. But then again, the film tells any trained eye that this kid has loads of talent. He owns most Syracuse passing records, and they have had some decent guys under center over the years. He played against Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, and looked every bit as capable. He may need to develop his touch, but his arm strength is undeniable and, I think, important for playing in the Ralph.

If the Bills really like him, I want them to take him at the 8-spot ... armchair GMs and critics be damned. We have waited long enough to address this position. There will be thousands of casual fans who will cry foul (along with Jerry Sullivan, undoubtedly) and argue that they could have waited for him in the second round. Remember how much the Bills liked supposed second-tier Christian Ponder a few years ago? He went in the top ten.

If Nassib can be your future franchise QB, you'd better be sure you get him. I encourage Bills fans to open a youtube window and watch this guy - he can play in the NFL - sooner rather than later. Enough hedging bets, let's go "all in" and get somewhere.

Maybe the Bills are actually ahead of the curve on this thing. They bring in the Syracuse coach, and half his staff including O-coordinator and thereby eliminate much of the learning curve for this talented young QB from 'Cuse. With a few tweaks he can hit the ground running with NFL talent alongside him. I was more of a Glennon guy but I'm buying into the Nassib hype since he obviously became a very good QB with this regime.

I see the Colts are now trying to bring in Andrew Luck's O-coordinator from Stanford, so maybe the Bills are in front with a new trend.

My only fear with this is that it's so freaking obvious. Rarely do you see a team so clearly telegraph their pick if they aren't selecting #1.

Very fair assesment. Just remember, most of these guys will have warts, (unless it is Luck or Griffin), and sometimes it might be worth the reach.

Here are my thoughts, as I have watched quite a bit of him both this season and last season.

- Very smart with the football - rarely will you see him make one of those "What the hell was he thinking" throws ala Fitzpatrick.

- Tough as nails

- Can make all of the throws but agree that his touch could be better

However, I think we should seriously consider him at 8, and here is why. He can step in and play right away, as he has played in this offense for four years. There is enough talent on defense to be competitive right away, and for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years, if you have a chance to plug a guy in right away and he is an immediate upgrade over the garbage QBs that we have (or have had over the last several years) you take it. There is no guarantee that he will be there in the second round and there is not another QB, other than Tyler Wilson, that I think can start right away.

P.S. If one more person suggests Tyler Bray I will lose it. He will be a HUGE bust!

Good points. He can make all the throws, something we havent seen in Buffalo since fitz was starting.

I have been leaning on taking Nassib at 8 since Marrone became HC.

Go for it and nobody will really be all that surprised and I think we can make a very quick turnaround if we can get 2 LB's in the draft and in FA .

My only fear with this is that it's so freaking obvious. Rarely do you see a team so clearly telegraph their pick if they aren't selecting #1.

Well they know more about Nassib than anybody. It would make sense and when if anything coming out of OBD make any sense lately??

Actually it makes too much sense if you think about it. This will force the Bills to run the ball more and with CJ and Freddy coming back hopefully to 2011 form we have a backfield that takes alot of pressure off the kid.

I like the thought of the Bills running the ball as much as they can because the line is built for it.

I know. 30 seconds before the 7th pick i can picture the Jets jumping us and picking Nassib just because they know Buffalo is about to pick him and they really like the kid.

Nice post, I concur with much of your analysis. I hate to spout blasphemy on here, but when I see Nassib step into a throw on film, it reminds me of a younger Jimbo. Maybe the #12 has undue influence on what my subconscious mind is processing, but I can't be the only one who thought this!

I love the idea that our staff has more knowledge of this guy than any other team will have. But then again, the film tells any trained eye that this kid has loads of talent. He owns most Syracuse passing records, and they have had some decent guys under center over the years. He played against Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, and looked every bit as capable. He may need to develop his touch, but his arm strength is undeniable and, I think, important for playing in the Ralph.

If the Bills really like him, I want them to take him at the 8-spot ... armchair GMs and critics be damned. We have waited long enough to address this position. There will be thousands of casual fans who will cry foul (along with Jerry Sullivan, undoubtedly) and argue that they could have waited for him in the second round. Remember how much the Bills liked supposed second-tier Christian Ponder a few years ago? He went in the top ten.

If Nassib can be your future franchise QB, you'd better be sure you get him. I encourage Bills fans to open a youtube window and watch this guy - he can play in the NFL - sooner rather than later. Enough hedging bets, let's go "all in" and get somewhere.

What??? Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Christian Ponder.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never heard of anyone here wishing we had taken Ponder or still wishes he were our current QB.

I know. 30 seconds before the 7th pick i can picture the Jets jumping us and picking Nassib just because they know Buffalo is about to pick him and they really like the kid.

Please dont give Rex any ideas. He might do this because we just stole a damn good DC from the Jets.

Shhhhh lol

Maybe I missed it, but I've never heard of anyone here wishing we had taken Ponder or still wishes he were our current QB.

Fitz is better than ponder.....lol. Fitz is better than no one. Ponder can make every throw on the pass charts. Fitz cannot. Ponder led his team to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Sure, he had AP, but his play in the final 5 games were crucial. He played well. Much better than fitz.

All I meant is that QBs tend to go well before most draftniks have them slotted. If you like a guy, get him.

Ponder went way earlier than speculated. His ability versus that of Fitz is a moot point. And I think we are all done with the idea of Fitz as our guy.

I would venture that the Bills were poised to take Cousins last year, but the 'skins doubled up on rookie QBs ... point being, even if they liked him, someone else got him because they waited too long.

Please dont give Rex any ideas. He might do this because we just stole a damn good DC from the Jets.

Shhhhh lol

If they do, he'll need a new tattoo, at any rate.

Edited by Punch

It is unrealistic to expect that no QBs will be taken in the top 7 given the obvious needs of the teams in front of the Bills and others, like the Jets, who may well look to jump up. Nassib may not even be there at 8. like Eball, I am concerned about the Bills pick being a bit too obvious. My take is that their new Coaches certainly know everything they need to know about Nassib. if they like him and he is there at 8 they should take him. Waiting for QBs to fall to their perceived value position is how we got in this mess.

It is unrealistic to expect that no QBs will be taken in the top 7 given the obvious needs of the teams in front of the Bills and others, like the Jets, who may well look to jump up.

There is no way Nassib doesn't get picked in the top ten. Who is better and which teams need a quarterback? Looking at the upcoming draft. There are at least 4 teams needing a QB that draft before the Bills. Despite this being a thin QB class, the QB talent in the NFL is lean as well. Funny enough that out of the top ten draft teams I would say nine of them have low quality QB depth.

Nassib is our guy, I just hope he doesn't start the first year.

With the recent success of early round QBs the past couple of years and so many teams starving for QBs, you better believe they are going to go much higher than where any "Mock" has them slotted. The Bills are one of these teams and they have direct ties to a guy who should be available at 8. I think they grab him or another QB at that spot.

If the Bills wait and don't get him in round 1 and fail to trade up for another pick in the first, those first 7 picks of the 2nd round will almost surely take out a few more QBs before the Bills pick.

KC, Jax, Oakland, Philly, Cleveland, Arizona, NY Jets are all going to be looking at QBs.