Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Well I think the Bills will leave no stone unturned. To bad they a year or two late in getting a QB but having said that....

It's early in the process, we all are to early in our projections. Who know's how FA is going to effect the draft. You don't like Nassib and that's ok.

But I have a hunch he's gonna be a Bill. I like the kid. Maybe we get lucky and he lasts until the second round. That way we can get the best LB in the draft on the board not named Teo .

All we can hope for is they choose the right QB. Whoever that may be. Because we wont even sniff the playoffs until we do.

I like Nassib. I hate the idea of picking him at #8 when no one else in their right mind would do so. And he is not close to the prospect Smith is, IMO.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft is 3 months away.

The Senior Bowl has yet to be played.

The combine starts one month from today.

All of these authoritative judgements are ridiculously premature.

For the record, in the games I watched Nassib play (except for the Pinstripe Bowl which was played in horrific conditions) which only includes USC and Rutgers, I see a quarterback playing against a much higher level of competition. Both of those games were away games against Top 20 opponents.

I saw some things from Nassib: toughness and determination, good arm strength, great delivery, and football intelligence. Against both USC and Rutgers, Nassib almost without exception had little time to throw and was throwing to receivers who generally were not open. In both those games, the talent difference between Syracuse and its opponents was very noticeable.

I really don't know yet how I feel about Nassib but I've seen zero to disqualify him from inclusion in the discussion of the top quarterbacks in this draft.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Just out of curiosity, is there some evidence that the Bills plan to get Nassib, or is this all conjecture based solely on the fact that he was the HC's QB in college and the Syracuse OC said (long before he knew he'd be an NFL OC this year) that if he was in the NFL he'd want him?

I posted this in another thread. Russ Lande at National Football Post thinks that Nassib is the top QB coming out and may be worthy of #1 overall.

http://sports.yahoo....06820--nfl.html

Russ Lande-

"The big thing that Nassib must work on is his deep passing as he tends to put too much air under his throws which forces his receivers to slow up and wait for the ball. This allows the defensive back to close and make a play on the ball."

"After charting out Nassib in five games we consider him to be the best quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft and worth drafting with the first overall pick"

I haven't laughed this hard at a "draft expert" since the Blaine Gabbert mania a couple of years ago…LOL I seriously question if Lande is getting paid off by someone after reading that second quote. I don't know if NFP's Russ Lande knows this, but Ryan Nassib is the 10th rated QB and 98th rated player overall on the National Football Post's Big Board...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

To which I say, so what. You didn't see Carroll take Mark Sanchez, and he waited for a true franchise guy to come around this season. Do you think he regrets that decision? Your system will only take you so far. A great QB will take you further. If they grade out Geno far better than Nassib -- and I do, by at least a round -- and still take the path of least resistance, shame on them.

Just for the record, Carroll might not have taken Sanchez because...Sanchez was already under contract to another team. Unless the NFL has changed the rules, I don't think you can draft a guy off another team's roster.

And as to Carroll waiting for a "true franchise" QB to come around, I don't think he or anyone else thought that Wilson was going to be this good this soon. I'm pretty sure Carroll thought Matt Flynn was going to be that guy.

Just for the record, Carroll might not have taken Sanchez because...Sanchez was already under contract to another team. Unless the NFL has changed the rules, I don't think you can draft a guy off another team's roster.

And as to Carroll waiting for a "true franchise" QB to come around, I don't think he or anyone else thought that Wilson was going to be this good this soon. I'm pretty sure Carroll thought Matt Flynn was going to be that guy.

My mistake! Thanks for the info.

I am not sure they were that certain on Flynn, or else they wouldn't have drafted Wilson and given him the chance to compete for the job in camp, but point taken. Anyway, my point stands that I think it's ludicrous to pin your hopes on a guy you worked with in college if you're moving to the pros. If it all lines up, great, but you can't shut the door on better prospects just because you're familiar with a lesser one.

It's Taylor Mays that Carroll passed on from his own team, to correct my mistake.

I like Nassib. I hate the idea of picking him at #8 when no one else in their right mind would do so. And he is not close to the prospect Smith is, IMO.

You must of not seen Geno Smiths "highlights" in the PinStripe Bowl. He can't play in snow, he is overrated. He is no RG3 or Newton he is Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Rodney Peete. Basicly he sucks.

]

Edited by bisonbrigade

You must of not seen Geno Smiths "highlights" in the PinStripe Bowl. He can't play in snow, he is overrated. He is no RG3 or Newton he is Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Rodney Peete. Basicly he sucks.

]

what was Geno Smith's stat line in the game? and what was Nassib's stat line? Syracuse won because their two RBs combined for 373 rushing yards

What, Randall Cunningham and Steve McNair weren't available?

Gimme a f---ing break, dude. If you watched one game all season I think you forfeit your right to critique. Since that appears to be the case, I'll bite. If Nassib and Smith were the only two players on the field in that game, the stat lines are:

12-for-24 for 134 passing yards with two touchdowns and an interception

16-for-24 for 197 yards and two touchdowns, fumble, two safeties.

Looks to me like one player was clearly more accurate "in the snow," was in poor field position all day and trying to make things happen for his team while behind. The other tossed for 50% and an INT. Nassib's YPA was 5.58. Geno's was 8.2. If you want to factor in the two dropbacks for safeties, too, it's still almost two yards more earned per passing attempt.

This heroism for Nassib in the Pinstripe Bowl is some kind of myth. Can we also bring Prince-Tyson Gulley since we're rebuilding the vaunted Orange program in Orchard Park? Jesus.

Nassib may be a quality QB, but I don't understand why everyone wants to tear down a better prospect to help themselves believe it. Perhaps we're too comfortable with failure to believe we can do better than the familiar.

Russ Lande-

"The big thing that Nassib must work on is his deep passing as he tends to put too much air under his throws which forces his receivers to slow up and wait for the ball. This allows the defensive back to close and make a play on the ball."

"After charting out Nassib in five games we consider him to be the best quarterback in the 2013 NFL Draft and worth drafting with the first overall pick"

I haven't laughed this hard at a "draft expert" since the Blaine Gabbert mania a couple of years ago…LOL I seriously question if Lande is getting paid off by someone after reading that second quote. I don't know if NFP's Russ Lande knows this, but Ryan Nassib is the 10th rated QB and 98th rated player overall on the National Football Post's Big Board...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

I don't understand what's funny. Who cares what some site called the National Football Post thinks? Nobody is allowed to have a differing opinion?

Gimme a f---ing break, dude. If you watched one game all season I think you forfeit your right to critique. Since that appears to be the case, I'll bite. If Nassib and Smith were the only two players on the field in that game, the stat lines are:

12-for-24 for 134 passing yards with two touchdowns and an interception

16-for-24 for 197 yards and two touchdowns, fumble, two safeties.

Looks to me like one player was clearly more accurate "in the snow," was in poor field position all day and trying to make things happen for his team while behind. The other tossed for 50% and an INT. Nassib's YPA was 5.58. Geno's was 8.2. If you want to factor in the two dropbacks for safeties, too, it's still almost two yards more earned per passing attempt.

This heroism for Nassib in the Pinstripe Bowl is some kind of myth. Can we also bring Prince-Tyson Gulley since we're rebuilding the vaunted Orange program in Orchard Park? Jesus.

Nassib may be a quality QB, but I don't understand why everyone wants to tear down a better prospect to help themselves believe it. Perhaps we're too comfortable with failure to believe we can do better than the familiar.

Obviously, the statistics from that game (or any game, for that matter) are not simply a 1-to-1 comparison. Nassib played with the lead for the entire game. His passing numbers are pedestrian, but Syracuse was not in a passing mode for the majority of the game. Regardless, I would not argue that he had a great game.

Geno Smith never got anything going. Syracuse's defense is better than WVU's, which isn't saying much, but there was never really a threat to the Orange's lead. He looked a little rattled and couldn't elevate the play of his teammates. Is that fair? Probably not, but it's hard to say considering we look at intangibles such as "leadership" when evaluating a QB prospect. I would not argue that Geno Smith's struggles in the Pinstripe Bowl define either his leadership abilities or talent.

I've told you before in this thread, I wouldn't hate Geno Smith at 8. I might even love it. Nassib intrigues me as well, but maybe 8 is too high. Hopefully we'll get a better hint of where NFL talent evaluators see these 2 QBs in the coming weeks to give these threads more grist to mill.

Honestly, taking Nassib at 8 is just idiotic. We can't tell how these are gonna turn out until after the combine but Barkley, smith and glennon are most likely all gonna be higher. Nassib will be late 1st at the highest. Even if it turns out the bills miss out on him there are other decent qb prospects out there after him.

I don't understand what's funny. Who cares what some site called the National Football Post thinks? Nobody is allowed to have a differing opinion?

That Russ Lande article is from National Football Post. His own website must thinks he's nuts. Ryan Nassib is Ryan Fitzpatrick Jr. I've watched his videos and the guy can't throw the long ball at the college level. He will somehow be able to do it in the pros? I don't think so.

Edited by 1billsfan

Obviously, the statistics from that game (or any game, for that matter) are not simply a 1-to-1 comparison. Nassib played with the lead for the entire game. His passing numbers are pedestrian, but Syracuse was not in a passing mode for the majority of the game. Regardless, I would not argue that he had a great game.

Geno Smith never got anything going. Syracuse's defense is better than WVU's, which isn't saying much, but there was never really a threat to the Orange's lead. He looked a little rattled and couldn't elevate the play of his teammates. Is that fair? Probably not, but it's hard to say considering we look at intangibles such as "leadership" when evaluating a QB prospect. I would not argue that Geno Smith's struggles in the Pinstripe Bowl define either his leadership abilities or talent.

I've told you before in this thread, I wouldn't hate Geno Smith at 8. I might even love it. Nassib intrigues me as well, but maybe 8 is too high. Hopefully we'll get a better hint of where NFL talent evaluators see these 2 QBs in the coming weeks to give these threads more grist to mill.

My feelings exactly. I think what drives me nuts (and I must let go) is the idea that this game defines either player, especially when it would seem to define both as pedestrian.

Realistically, the prescription for that game was defense and the run, of which Syracuse excelled at both that day. It's not to say that Smith's play was outstanding, but Nassib's leadership in the snow remains a mythical quality for me. Intangibles are nice, but I don't know that they are a substitute for having a stronger supporting cast (in this case, 'Cuse's D >>>>>>> Canisius High School >>> WVU).

What major flaws are you talking about with E.J.Manuel. He seems to have it all - reminds me a lot of Cam Newton. He will probably be available in the second .

I like Manuel and he has a lot of upside but his delivery is a little slow, he didn't seem to go through more than two progressions or quickly scan the whole field, and while he's pretty fast his short area quickness isn't as good ( if he sees someone coming he's fast enough to roll out to buy time but if the pocket breaks down he's not quick enough to slide around in the pocket to buy time to make the completion).

I think QBs have to have thr

It doesn't mean it's true, but Russ Lande is a very good draft guy. He's not a Bleacher Report kind of guy. Like everyone, he's not always right, or even right 50% of the time (I would argue no one is even right 50% of the time). But he is a very good evaluator overall. It's not just immaterial that he is so high on Nassib. It doesn't at ALL mean he is right. But it's not just some schmoe saying that.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Nabbib 12-for-24 for 134 passing yards with two touchdowns and an interception

Geno Smith 16-for-24 for 197 yards and two touchdowns, fumble, two safeties.

Any QB who gets two safeties in one game is terrible. Give me a freakin break. Just because he puts up freaking numbers on 1-AA teams doesn't make him a NFL QB.

Edited by bisonbrigade