Colt McCoy To Be Released Soon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move by San Fran and best of luck to him.

Really? The SF offense doesn't seem suited for Colt.

Same thought here. Colt is a smart guy to hold the clipboard and assist in breaking down plays. If I remember correctly, he has played in a pro style offense since junior high school.

coached by his dad Brad

Same thought here. Colt is a smart guy to hold the clipboard and assist in breaking down plays. If I remember correctly, he has played in a pro style offense since junior high school.

coached by his dad Brad

Colt is the complete opposite of his brother, then.

How so does Colt "kind of fit"?

I agree.

While McCoy seems well-suited to the role of chief clipboard holder it always seems really odd to me when a backup QB has totally different competencies from the starter.

If Kaep goes down, the playcalling will have to be pretty different I would think.

Nice job, Buddy. Doomed.

?

Great move. Colt McCoy is better than kolb/tjax IMO. McCoy didn't get enough time as starter....raw deal from Cleveland.

49ers are smart, bills not so much lately.

Really Ryan?

I think a 5th rounder and a 7th rounder is pretty steep for a career backup.

I think the Bills did better with Kolb by far.

JMO.

Hasn't Kolb accomplished more in his career and shown more than McCoy?

Ya they actually throw the ball

?

Really Ryan?

I think a 5th rounder and a 7th rounder is pretty steep for a career backup.

I think the Bills did better with Kolb by far.

JMO.

Hasn't Kolb accomplished more in his career and shown more than McCoy?

The niners moved down 9 spots in the draft and gave up a 7th rounder... one of 14 picks they had previously

I agree.

While McCoy seems well-suited to the role of chief clipboard holder it always seems really odd to me when a backup QB has totally different competencies from the starter.

If Kaep goes down, the playcalling will have to be pretty different I would think.

Maybe that's what they want though. A little scrambler change of pace guy that other teams couldn't have prepped for. And athletically finding another CK would be a quite a challenge.

Maybe that's what they want though. A little scrambler change of pace guy that other teams couldn't have prepped for. And athletically finding another CK would be a quite a challenge.

Well that's true that they're not gonna find a Kaep-like player any time soon.

Still it seems like McCoy is at the totally other end of the spectrum being somewhat undersized and having a very average arm.

Still it seems like McCoy is at the totally other end of the spectrum being somewhat undersized and having a very average arm.

I think they figure the backup gets next to no snaps in practice so he won't be prepped to run the offense anyway. A guy who can scramble, run a simpler offense and improv some will be better to slot in for a game and a half. I think the mentality these days is banking on the starter to stay healthy enough to take you to the promised Land, rather than having a backup who you think is nearly as good and can do it too if called on. Starter quality backups are just too valuable in trade potential to keep on the roster (eg Alex Smith). Teams are focusing all their efforts on just "the guy" is what I see

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Colt is a smart guy to hold the clipboard and assist in breaking down plays. If I remember correctly, he has played in a pro style offense since junior high school.

Makes sense, Colt kind of fits what the 49ers want in a backup.

How so does Colt "kind of fit"?

I agree.

I think they figure the backup gets next to no snaps in practice so he won't be prepped to run the offense anyway. A guy who can scramble, run a simpler offense and improv some will be better to slot in for a game and a half. I think the mentality these days is banking on the starter to stay healthy enough to take you to the promised Land, rather than having a backup who you think is nearly as good and can do it too if called on. Starter quality backups are just too valuable in trade potential to keep on the roster (eg Alex Smith). Teams are focusing all their efforts on just "the guy" is what I see

I was thinking about this discussion earlier today.

It seems to me like Vince Young would be the perfect candidate to become Kaepernick's backup in San Fran. He has all the athletic gifts. He's desperate to get back into the league. If anyone could turn him around it would be Harbaugh.

Seems like a perfect fit to me.

I really still think you want your backup to have a similar skillset to your starter when possible.

That's why it made so much sense to me when Pat White signed on to backup RG III with the Redskins and Dennis Dixon signing with Philly to backup Michael Vick.