Criticism of Nix

You don't add, but well could, that Buddy thinking Fitz was a winning QB in the NFL doesn't excuse him from taking steps to find a future QB. Seattle signed Flynn, but still drafted Wilson when they had the chance. SF thought Smith could be made into something, but still drafted Kaepernick. Washington drafted RGIII, but also Cousins. etcetera.

But what's a Bafoon? is it a newfangled orchestral instrument?

Its speelled Bussom.

your and idiot sometimes i swear Hopeful

But i still love ya man.

I thought Seattle was wild doing that. Damned if that Carroll andCo.isn't smarter than they appeared :D

The only ones I would want as my starter are Wilson and Kapernick. The only pick I think Nix blew it on, even in retrospect, is Wilson in the third instead of TJ.

I just don't think Dalton or Ponder or Cousins are any good in the long run.

The

The only ones I would want as my starter are Wilson and Kapernick. The only pick I think Nix blew it on, even in retrospect, is Wilson in the third instead of TJ.

I just don't think Dalton or Ponder or Cousins are any good in the long run.

TJ move was a fringe move at best. very odd i think we can agree

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its speelled Bussom.

your and idiot sometimes i swear Hopeful

But i still love ya man.

I thought Seattle was wild doing that. Damned if that Carroll andCo.isn't smarter than they appeared :D

The

TJ move was a fringe move at best. very odd i think we can agree

I have said this before, but I don't think it was odd at all. At that point, we had just signed Mario and Mark Anderson, and Wanny was named DC. Most fans and most pundits, and Buddy Nix and the Bills brass, all thought our defense was going to be very good. Most everyone was talking that the Bills were on the verge of the playoffs.

Also most everyone thought the one thing the Bills needed was a speed WR to complement Stevie, as well as Nelson and Chander who ran seam patterns. Both were coming off solid years. CJ came on strong. We were getting Fred back. Nix had just got lucky and drafted Cordy Glenn to be the LT.

Nix also liked Wilson a lot and had said so. He was supposed to go in the third or fourth round. When faced with the above, and the prospects of the Bills reaching the playoffs in Chan and Buddy's third year, usually the make or break year, Nix thought that a speed WR would help this team reach the playoffs this year, even if he was raw he would do what Nix imagined Robert Meachem would do. He just had to be a threat, not catch 60 passes. The scouts and Nix liked TJ a lot, and chose him over Wilson.

It was a sensible and even predictable choice not a foolish one. The error was the misread on TJ being ready to play, and obviously, the same misread everyone else in the league made on Russell Wilson's height being a non-factor.

The thought process made all the sense in the world. The evaluation of talent, on TJ and on Wilson, was Nix's mistake.

I have said this before, but I don't think it was odd at all. At that point, we had just signed Mario and Mark Anderson, and Wanny was named DC. Most fans and most pundits, and Buddy Nix and the Bills brass, all thought our defense was going to be very good. Most everyone was talking that the Bills were on the verge of the playoffs.

Also most everyone thought the one thing the Bills needed was a speed WR to complement Stevie, as well as Nelson and Chander who ran seam patterns. Both were coming off solid years. CJ came on strong. We were getting Fred back. Nix had just got lucky and drafted Cordy Glenn to be the LT.

Nix also liked Wilson a lot and had said so. He was supposed to go in the third or fourth round. When faced with the above, and the prospects of the Bills reaching the playoffs in Chan and Buddy's third year, usually the make or break year, Nix thought that a speed WR would help this team reach the playoffs this year, even if he was raw he would do what Nix imagined Robert Meachem would do. He just had to be a threat, not catch 60 passes. The scouts and Nix liked TJ a lot, and chose him over Wilson.

It was a sensible and even predictable choice not a foolish one. The error was the misread on TJ being ready to play, and obviously, the same misread everyone else in the league made on Russell Wilson's height being a non-factor.

The thought process made all the sense in the world. The evaluation of talent, on TJ and on Wilson, was Nix's mistake.

Ah Thats not why i considered him a stretch pick. I do like the the kid and we did need speed and deep threat absotively.

And i would not compare him to a Wilson. That was luck.

I thought it it odd we traded out for him and did not do better. and did Gailey/Nix we feel we could actually get the ball to him.? we were doing the short drop quick relase gig at that point.

His development whether misjudged or not wasn't my issue. Some folks thought the kid would last a couple more rounds. I just did not see the upside at that point in time though i think we will over time

ps i do recall that Nix did like Wilson and i would guess some trades did not work out to land him

Edited by 3rdand12

You don't add, but well could, that Buddy thinking Fitz was a winning QB in the NFL doesn't excuse him from taking steps to find a future QB. Seattle signed Flynn, but still drafted Wilson when they had the chance. SF thought Smith could be made into something, but still drafted Kaepernick. Washington drafted RGIII, but also Cousins. etcetera.

But what's a Bafoon? is it a newfangled orchestral instrument?

I wish it was.....this organization certainly needs some harmony

Great post.

The error was also misjudging where Graham would get picked. While we'll never know for sure, my strong suspicion is that he would've been available in Round 4 (or 5 even). Buddy has proven an inability to predict the daft boards of his peers, perhaps because he has not been a GM very long.

I agree with the OP. Even if we had drafted Russell Wilson, he never would have played. Chan was all in with Fitz and that lead to both of their dismissals.

So if we had Russell Wilson on our roster right now, most everyone would still be clamoring for a new QB.

You must admit one thing. Buddy Nix took a shambles of an O-line and turned it around pretty quickly and inexpensively. If Fitzpatrick would have progressed as he was supposed to, this draft would be for best player available in just about every round.

The error was also misjudging where Graham would get picked. While we'll never know for sure, my strong suspicion is that he would've been available in Round 4 (or 5 even). Buddy has proven an inability to predict the daft boards of his peers, perhaps because he has not been a GM very long.

Who knows. There were a lot of varying reports on when he would go. I just looked back at the nfl.com profile on him before the draft and they said he could go as high as the third round.

How about Buddy's OTHER PICKS??? You know, the ones he actually drafted??? Like Troup, and the aforementioned Aaron Williams... in fact only Spiller has had any great success from that first draft....

And Dareus hasn't exactly lived up to his billing either although most of us still have high hopes for him... But wouldn't A J Green or Julio Jones have been better picks based on their track record so far???

And I can remember one or two guys I'd rather have than Troup too...

15 Draft Picks in 3 years on Defense...3 Defenses that were historically bad for this Franchise...3 of the 5 worst Defenses in Franchise history...

So...Nix has that going for him... :thumbsup:

Nix came into a rough position in 2010. The awful coach hired forced a 3-4 defense on him that was completely unwarranted, and he had a horrible draft because of it.

But, the QB woes fall on Nix, and he has to go. He forced himself into the awful position where the Bills must take a QB in this draft that is weak at the position. No foresight. The team is worse off than when he started.

I agree with the OP. Even if we had drafted Russell Wilson, he never would have played. Chan was all in with Fitz and that lead to both of their dismissals.

So if we had Russell Wilson on our roster right now, most everyone would still be clamoring for a new QB.

You must admit one thing. Buddy Nix took a shambles of an O-line and turned it around pretty quickly and inexpensively. If Fitzpatrick would have progressed as he was supposed to, this draft would be for best player available in just about every round.

Where is that OLine today? And remember that Wood, Byrd and Levitre were 2009 draftees - Buddy's 1st draft was 2010...

Levitre is gone... Rhinehart is gone.... Wood seems to get injured much of the time...

Good post OT1960, it's nice to see some real perspective discussed. Unfortunately, I expect most of its rationale to be lost here.

I don't think so. Posters have posted real arguments regarding the other draft picks and not-picking-a-QB. Good GMs prepare for the future not for the present.

How about Buddy's OTHER PICKS??? You know, the ones he actually drafted??? Like Troup, and the aforementioned Aaron Williams... in fact only Spiller has had any great success from that first draft....

And Dareus hasn't exactly lived up to his billing either although most of us still have high hopes for him... But wouldn't A J Green or Julio Jones have been better picks based on their track record so far???

And I can remember one or two guys I'd rather have than Troup too...

Troup was picked in front of Gronk. The worst thing about the Bills recent misses is that the guy right after is AMAZING. Whitner--Ngata; Maybin--Orakpo; Troup Gronkowski. I wouldn't mind the miss so much if the miss was surrounded by other misses.

2012:

Andrew Luck, RG III and Ryan Tannehill all went before the Bills' first pick

Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler went after the Bills' pick and then Seattle took a chance on the "too short" Russell Wilson and appears to have struck gold - however note it is still early in his career. It is possible that defenses will find schemes to keep him in the pocket and make his height work against him.

I agree on that. I hate when people think he will be the next brady or something. I will say he had a great rookie in a offense that no one knew how to stop. I will wait till his junior year before I give the guy the credit.

I agree with most of your stuff. I think he had great 1st round picks so far. He had crappy picks though on some. But I will be like a regular TBD and just blame wilson.

that is a great post. I remember everyone was talking about ponder or locker in rd 2 and it was a collective jaw hitting floor when ponder went as high as he did.. I look at this years draft a lot like that draft. Barkley is Locker, Nassib is Ponder, glennon is mallet, and believe it or not manuel reminds me of newton but clearly isn't as dynamic

exactly we should have drafted the great quarterback who didnt exist

Remember, this is the same genius who agreed with Gailey that Trent Edwards was a better QB than Fitz. So far, he has failed miserably as GM and will likely ride off into the sunset soon leaving a bigger mess than he inherited.

^ This.

Not to mention drafting CB #1, and wasting our 3rd round pick on that WR that couldn't even break the starting lineup until injuries.

This is an excellent point. Russell Wilson for the Bills may not be near as good as Russell Wilson for the Seahawks. For a lot of players, the team and situation they are drafted in to are as important as their talent.

That being said, Buddy has certainly had his blunders, hindsight being what it is.

Troup was picked in front of Gronk. The worst thing about the Bills recent misses is that the guy right after is AMAZING. Whitner--Ngata; Maybin--Orakpo; Troup Gronkowski. I wouldn't mind the miss so much if the miss was surrounded by other misses.

Or if the guys we picked instead weren't so spectacularly unproductive. I'll give you Whitner...but the Bills just haven't gotten enough, even competent, play out of many of their highest draft picks in recent years.