UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

So, basically, he visited the Bills and will get back to them if he doesn't get a better offer, will will likely happen after the draft.

i wouldnt go that far - there are some good ILBs in the draft and not a ton of teams with glaring holes... plug in Teo, ogletree, minter and a couple others as day 1 starters and his market is thin post draft. he might be able to squeeze a couple extra bucks but it wont be a free agency free for all trying to get him

I actually disagree with that. I think its far more likely to have agreed to a deal and Dansby agreed to wait until after the first couple of rounds, if not the whole draft, in order to keep the Bills draft strategy more secret, especially in this draft that is being speculated could break the all time trade record during a draft.

as others have noted, the risk of someone missing their guy and taking him is a huge risk (ie we dont fill a glaring hole in the draft thinking we have him AND miss out on the last impact FA available), and the gains are insignificant. whats the smokescreen - that we might take ogletree or teo? the risk reward is AWFUL for the team. decent for dansby though. hence i think its coming from his side.

like i said, if someone was willing to pay him what he wanted, hed be signed already. this screams one last power play from his side. cant blame him for wanting to get paid, and/or play for a contender. we are not a contender, and have not given a cant pass offer so he may slow play it still.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely we will take him. Money will be lighter than he wanted and we had leverage. He can still play and can help us for two years. I agree on all of the draft speculation. Marrone is starting to run this place like Belicheck. We're not going to get lots of info from these guys.

When (I hope) we start winning we'll all be happy and not worried about the shhh.

It could be a mutual agreement between the two. They basically agreed on a contract although one or both sides aren't completely happy with it. The Bills want to see if some LB they love if available in the draft that makes Dansby a little less valuable, AND, they want other teams to think they are definitely in play for a LB when they are not, which may be the wee little element that sends that team over the top on taking a player the Bills don't want.

Simultaneously, Dansby wants more money than the Bills are offering but knows it may be his best offer/situation. He wants to wait a few more days, until after the draft, to see if there is a team that needs a LB, wants to take one in the draft but goes a different way for whatever reason, and then because of that, is willing to pay Dansby a little more than the Bills are because they now know the draft is out of the question.

I don't like that scenario myself. If I were the Bills I would sign the guy and not risk losing him over a relatively small amount of money and the slight chance the signing will alter another team's moves. But I could see this being the case.

http://profootballta...l-keep-talking/

Karlos Dansby and Bills will keep talking

Posted by Josh Alper on April 25, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT

AP

The Bills hosted veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby earlier this week for a visit that ended without a contract offer.

Wait... What is the difference between keep talking and no contract was offered?

Wait... What is the difference between keep talking and no contract was offered?

Translation, his asking price is too high for the Bills. For a team starved of talent at the position, and his age aside what else can it be.

Front office blows big bucks on 2 DE's in 2012. Then cannot afford a guy who can certainly help day one the next year. This is no super star but far from a Merriman type signing. At least the guy was productive the past few years.

Translation, his asking price is too high for the Bills. For a team starved of talent at the position, and his age aside what else can it be.

Front office blows big bucks on 2 DE's in 2012. Then cannot afford a guy who can certainly help day one the next year. This is no super star but far from a Merriman type signing. At least the guy was productive the past few years.

Cheers, I thought as much. So translation is if we dont land our guy in the draft we'll pay you X, however if we do you are still more then welcome to sign at the previously mentioned Y. hmmm

Didnt Merriman make like 5 mil last year?

Cheers, I thought as much. So translation is if we dont land our guy in the draft we'll pay you X, however if we do you are still more then welcome to sign at the previously mentioned Y. hmmm

Didnt Merriman make like 5 mil last year?

Regarding merriman. I think when the resigned him after cutting him he may have been close to vets minimum with incentives. He did make bucko bucks for his very limited production while in Buffalo. Nix is in way over his head and that signing was part of the proof.

Regarding merriman. I think when the resigned him after cutting him he may have been close to vets minimum with incentives. He did make bucko bucks for his very limited production while in Buffalo. Nix is in way over his head and that signing was part of the proof.

Hmmm I thought that if a player was cut and then resigned his original contract would be reactivated... Could be wrong though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He would be a fantastic addition, much more productive than a lot of the naysayers imagine, in my opinion.

I think Tim Graham's title makes it sound like signing Dansby is less likely than it might be...it seems like it is only based off of what Buddy said earlier.

This http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631825/kiko-alonso, from CBS player analysis page, goes here as well. Apparently we drafted Karlos Dansby when we took Alonso. :lol:

To wit:

Compares To: Daryl Washington, ILB, Arizona Cardinals -- Like his predecessor with the Cardinals, Karlos Dansby, Washington's blend of instincts, athleticism and physicality has quickly turned him into a Pro Bowler. The frenetic Alonso has a similar upside but must show the same level of commitment on and off the field that Dansby and Washington have undertaken to enjoy this kind of success.

I still hope we sign him.

this. We sign Dansby and we officially enter playoff expectations IMO. We have his replacement as early as next year with Alonzo. Same with the QBs with Kolb and Manuel. I would be expecting playoffs with Dansby. He just puts us over the top IMO. Edited by mrags

this. We sign Dansby and we officially enter playoff expectations IMO. We have his replacement as early as next year with Alonzo. Same with the QBs with Kolb and Manuel. I would be expecting playoffs with Dansby. He just puts us over the top IMO.

I'm all for signing the guy, but I'm not sure how Dansby changes your outlook from no playoffs to playoffs.

Here's hoping that we wrap up Dansby soon - we may have some very stiff competition as a result of the draft:

GMen fans are livid Reese didn't draft a single LB at their greatest position of need - The consensus is that he's most likely going to go get Dansby for the middle positon.