Bills FO not the only ones that screw up! ELWAY (not)

Buftex

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Dumervil and/or his agent intentionally miss the deadline in the hope that the Broncos would fail to cut him, thereby guaranteeing him the $12 million? Is it possible that, during those fateful 35 minutes, Dumervil's agent heard from another team that would pay his client big money and made the delay-of-game call on the fly?

Did the Broncos, having gauged the market, decide after the fact that $8 million was too pricey for Dumervil and claim that the paperwork hadn't arrived as an excuse to part ways without reneging?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--what-the-fax--elvis-dumervil-contract-snafu-could-shift-balance-of-power-in-afc---002225119.html

But (agent) Magid told USA Today Sports a different story saying the paperwork wasn't transmitted in time because the Broncos made late changes to the financial details.

Magid claims the team changed the terms of the contract the sides had been negotiating all week and didn't send him a correct copy of the final deal until after 3:30 p.m. EDT.

The key point in the new contract offer allowed the Broncos to cut Dumervil after this season without paying him, Magid said, adding Denver said they made the change because Dumervil had taken all week to accept their offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-release-dumervil-both-sides-003122408--nfl.html

So he doesn't have the courage to just say they changed their mind which is far less damning then what happened

Or he tried to trick a team with a move he would deserve to be blackballed for?

Neither really makes much sense when you weigh even the ideal outcome of this messed up plan versus easier and cleaner alternatives.

Something happened - but I'm not sure I'm buying it was an elaborate scheme where the risks seem to far outweigh the rewards. If it was the agent pulling something, and I'm a GM I just took his number out of my phone for all future negotiations.

Odds are they were hammering out details and just didnt get it done. Who took it to the press first? Or did the nfl office leak the info?

Edited by NoSaint

Saw this yesterday on PFT. There's plenty of "blame" to go around on this one.

Have to wonder just exactly why an agent would screw the pooch when chances are high he'll have to deal with the fallout of this forever going forward. If he's proven to have mucked up the works, that'll seriously color his future dealings not just with Denver and Elway, but I dare say most if not all of the other clubs and GMs in the league. Then again, it's a cut-throat league.

"the real question is whether one side or the other was up to something. The Broncos had nothing to gain by creating the impression that they were forced to cut Dumervil, unless they somehow decided from a P.R. perspective that the accidental departure of Dumervil would be received more favorably by the fan base than the intentional release of Dumervil.

In contrast, Dumervil could have duped the Broncos into guaranteeing his entire contract if the team failed to cut him before the end of the business day. Alternatively, Magid may have decided to force the release after word got out that Dumervil would make $8 million in 2013 — and after possibly hearing from another team that would be willing to pay Dumervil more than that." Florio PFT
Edited by Nanker

Broncos team president John Elway issued a statement Friday night, explaining the situation from the team's point of view.

"Due to the procedural elements that were involved in executing the new proposal, we imposed a 1 p.m. MDT deadline for a decision, one hour before the NFL's waiver wire at 2 p.m. MDT. Our deadline was clearly communicated to Elvis' representative," Elway said in the statement. "At 1 p.m. MDT, we were informed by Elvis' representative that he declined our offer. We then prepared Elvis' termination notice to officially file his release with the NFL office.

"At approximately 1:25 p.m. MDT, however, we were informed that Elvis changed his mind and accepted the same contract we proposed nearly two-and-a-half hours earlier. Although we expressed our concern regarding the time constraints, we were assured that the signed documents would be submitted to us before the league's waiver deadline.

"We did not receive the documents from Elvis by the league's deadline and were forced to release him shortly before 2 p.m. MDT.

"Due to this situation, there are now salary-cap implications associated with this transaction that we must consider with regard to potentially re-signing Elvis. At this moment, we are discussing all of our free-agency options to determine what's best for the Denver Broncos."

NFLPA to look into Dumervil gaffe

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9059247/nflpa-look-elvis-dumervil-contract-dealings-report

evil intent? i doubt it. sometimes people just make mistakes--some mistakes are harmless, and some cost you a lot of money. probably time to get a new agent.

Maybe someone unplugged the fax machine to charge their phone...

Its still unclear how the tentative deal to restructure Elvis Dumervils contract imploded. The NFL Players Association plans to seek some clarity.

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, the union has asked for an inquiry regarding the events culminating in Dumervil being released.

For starters, Dumervil may not want an inquiry, because an inquiry could uncover that his agent, Marty Magid, got cold feet after reportedly agreeing to cut the players salary from $12 million to $8 million in 2013, opting instead to sign elsewhere and get more. (Then again, no free-agent pass rusher has gotten more than $7.5 million per year in the current hiring cycle.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/16/report-nflpa-wants-inquiry-into-dumervil-debacle/

Edited by papazoid

At the end of the day, it's Dumervile's fault. After having everyone do everything but wipe his ass for him since landing in the NFL, he's just sour that he was given one simple responsibility and he failed. It's tough being a multimillionaire NFL player these days. That said, faxing is one of the most archaic ways of communicating.

Yeah, I am sure Kellto83TD is referring to me. Was at work when I heard this story, on the radio, framed as Elway/FO screwing up, not accounting for time differences...I wanted to find a link for it, and posted one, without reading it, assuming the radio story I heard was true...it appears it wasn't.

I think everyone in the thread I started told me my take was wrong...fair enough....Kellyto83TD is starting another thread about it, I guess, cuz he wants an apology? Okay...sorry Kellyto83TD....now you can continue with your "Bills suck" cmpaign...as if we didn't already know that! :rolleyes:

The Sabres not so much.

As for being archaic... How else is a signature on a piece of paper gonna get there any faster. I guess he could have just drove to the stadium? Was he in Denver?

Take a picture of it or scan it, then email it. 100x more secure and the means to do are in everyone's home office (not at Kinkos).

At the end of the day, it's Dumervile's fault. After having everyone do everything but wipe his ass for him since landing in the NFL, he's just sour that he was given one simple responsibility and he failed. It's tough being a multimillionaire NFL player these days. That said, faxing is one of the most archaic ways of communicating.

But like for many other organizations, FAX is still the official accepted mode of communication. It is a shame because, my iphone app can do a much better job of scanning and sending a document than a stupid FAX machine.

Why wouldn't the NFL provide a Web based software for agents/players to put in all their paper work online?