It's a business, and a business needs a brand to sell to customers

Virgil

I've been lurking the past few days with nothing to add that hasn't already been said in terms of disappointment around lack of visits set up, lack of certainty with QB's in the draft, and just overall confusion around what the plan is. I do believe that Marrone has a plan, but I'm getting concerned about his ability to sell it.

Yes, we just signed a new lease and our future is fairly secure. However, we are also a fan base who is beaten down by years of missing the playoffs and being AFC East whipping boys. As far as a brand goes, what is going to be the selling point this year? Last year we had Mario and the hope of a great defense.

This year? Is there a FA left that would inspire that level of hope? Is there a QB or draft outcome that would either?

I get that we typically don't have an idea of what the real plan is and we are typically left guessing. But as of right now, it seems like the Dolphins and Pats are either getting better or maintaining. The Jets look pathetic, but who knows if they get Kolb.

Either way, I'm concerned about sell outs this year and the overall affect this is going to have on the franchise's ability to garner fan interest.

Anyways, just thoughts...

I've been lurking the past few days with nothing to add that hasn't already been said in terms of disappointment around lack of visits set up, lack of certainty with QB's in the draft, and just overall confusion around what the plan is. I do believe that Marrone has a plan, but I'm getting concerned about his ability to sell it.

Yes, we just signed a new lease and our future is fairly secure. However, we are also a fan base who is beaten down by years of missing the playoffs and being AFC East whipping boys. As far as a brand goes, what is going to be the selling point this year? Last year we had Mario and the hope of a great defense.

This year? Is there a FA left that would inspire that level of hope? Is there a QB or draft outcome that would either?

I get that we typically don't have an idea of what the real plan is and we are typically left guessing. But as of right now, it seems like the Dolphins and Pats are either getting better or maintaining. The Jets look pathetic, but who knows if they get Kolb.

Either way, I'm concerned about sell outs this year and the overall affect this is going to have on the franchise's ability to garner fan interest.

The Bills are like cigarettes. No matter how much you want to quit, it's addicting and extremely difficult to do.

Marrone does have a plan and it's simple. Get a viable DC so he can concentrate on the offense and most importantly identifying a QB he wants/can work with from the draft. We will see if the plan works.

Marrone does have a plan and it's simple. Get a viable DC so he can concentrate on the offense and most importantly identifying a QB he wants/can work with from the draft. We will see if the plan works.

If true, and I hope it is, Marrone has one season to get this done. If no forward momentum at the end of this (non-playoff) season, the FO will again make gimmic moves that will doom Marrone to 3 and out and keep us in the basement another half decade at least.

I agree with what you are saying and I do believe there is a plan. I'm merely saying from a marketing standpoint, what's the sell?

For now heavily discounted Fitz jersey's. But really it's way to early to see what the product will be. Probably by training camp there will be a good feel for what Brandon is selling. Honestly, it would seem improbable for the season ticket base to even remain flat. I think past the home opener, there will be difficulty moving inventory. Edited by Best Player Available

I don't know why people are so dismissive of the OP. It's a good point. What's the hook? What is going to draw the casual fan--like me (and I am a casual fan; I'm a Buffalonian but a hockey guy)--into the games? What's going to get the team to sell out games? I bid for the NE game last year in a charity auction, but I think I'd be hard pressed to do it again.

Derek,

I am with you. I am excited about the new coaching staff (somewhat), but I feel a little like I do about the Sabres right now. Simply not enough talent to compete. Take a look at the Chicago Blackhawks (and other contenders) and simply compare the roster. There is no way the Sabres compete. They are not similar talent wise. And the Bills, while the D has some talent, it's still has a few holes. And the offense, damn, right now my Aerosmith T-shirt from 86 has less holes.

The draft will fill some needs....we'll add a free agent or 2 and the base will be excited....(And I am not Debbe Downer).

But who is further away from a Championship right now...the Bills or Sabres????

Damn....that's a question I don't even want to think about!!

Go Bills.

I don't know why people are so dismissive of the OP. It's a good point. What's the hook? What is going to draw the casual fan--like me (and I am a casual fan; I'm a Buffalonian but a hockey guy)--into the games? What's going to get the team to sell out games? I bid for the NE game last year in a charity auction, but I think I'd be hard pressed to do it again.

Winning. No more gimmicks.

You dont' have to worry about a product with the Buffalo fan base and Russ/Ralph know it. They will flock to the stadium even if the team is 0-16

I agree with what you are saying and I do believe there is a plan. I'm merely saying from a marketing standpoint, what's the sell?

It's a good question...

First, before I try to answer...This Franchise is clearly in a bit of disarray, and Brandon knew it when he took charge. I think he immediately moved to get the HC he wanted knowing it would be his guy...I now choose to believe (because I truly have no idea), no matter what Brandon said, Buddy is not his guy. I'm going to assume (for the sake of my sanity) Ralph asked him to let Buddy down easy...And that's what he's doing...Whaley is Brandon's guy at GM...

Anyway...Back to the question...I'm thinking, at least for the 2013 Season, the Bills are going to try to sell a prayer...Because realistically Brandon and Whaley know this Roster is a mess with a ton of question marks. They are going to use 2013 to build the foundation...And I'm sure they're well aware that it could get ugly...But it's the NFL, in an area of the country that is rabid. They won't worry much about sales this coming season...But they do know they are going to have to build that foundation so they can sell hope in 2014...Because, unfortunately for us Bills fans, it will likely be 2014 before the Bills can even try to sell winning...The good news is there is a least a chance that 2014 will be a very strong QB class...I think The Bills will still Draft a QB in the first 2 Rounds this year...Maybe they get lucky and get ahead in the process...But if things go bad...the hope would be on opening day of 2014 you have a QB like Nassib, or Manuel, backing up a Rookie like McCarron, or Bridgewater...

I'm hoping Brandon and Whaley are smart enough to understand that they have some pieces, but a lot of damage has been done...And now it's time to carefully build a strong team moving forward. Marrone will be key in this plan obviously. And in the next 2 Drafts the Bills will have to find a REAL good, young QB...But I truly think they realize in the meantime they're selling Spiller and a prayer... ;)

They will try to sell us a rookie QB taken in the first round of the draft. At this point, it is their only option, and it is unfortunate that the Bills will be forced to make this pick in a year where there are probably no first round quality QBs (even Jim Kelly agrees with this). If you look on Buffalobills.com, they are already hyping a pre-draft, in person visit with Geno Smith. This is all they have.

It's a good question...

First, before I try to answer...This Franchise is clearly in a bit of disarray, and Brandon knew it when he took charge. I think he immediately moved to get the HC he wanted knowing it would be his guy...I now choose to believe (because I truly have no idea), no matter what Brandon said, Buddy is not his guy. I'm going to assume (for the sake of my sanity) Ralph asked him to let Buddy down easy...And that's what he's doing...Whaley is Brandon's guy at GM...

If that hypothetical assumption is even remotely close to being correct. Then this franchise will flail it's arms for years longer.

No one ever bases decisions on letting a GM down easy. Especially one that has sucked for many years. For some it's hard to see if Whaley even has what it takes. All Whaley's reputation is based on to date, is "he's liked throughout the league." So far now, that's simply not enough. Brandon is also not a long term answer with the Bills.

It's hard to think of anyone in sports especially a losing team that can throw years away, letting a 73 year old glorified scout with a poor track record, And really zero success as a GM. But still receive The dignity of a soft exit. The owner would have to be nuts to allow that.

Edited by Best Player Available

If that hypothetical assumption is even remotely close to being correct. Then this franchise will flail it's arms for years longer.

No one ever bases decisions on letting a GM down easy. Especially one that has sucked for many years. For some it's hard to see if Whaley even has what it takes. All Whaley's reputation is based on to date, is "he's liked throughout the league." So far now, that's simply not enough. Brandon is also not a long term answer with the Bills.

It's hard to think of anyone in sports especially a losing team that can throw years away, letting a 73 year old glorified scout with a poor track record, And really zero success as a GM. But still receive The dignity of a soft exit. The owner would have to be nuts to allow that.

Well...I don't disagree...But we all better hope Brandon and Whaley can get the job done, because that's what we're getting for the foreseeable future...

I'm hoping internally Buddy has been stripped of his ability to have final say...The fact that he's still around is unquestionably a joke...But there has to be a reason for it...However misguided that reason may be...It is what it is... B-)

Well...I don't disagree...But we all better hope Brandon and Whaley can get the job done, because that's what we're getting for the foreseeable future...

I'm hoping internally Buddy has been stripped of his ability to have final say...The fact that he's still around is unquestionably a joke...But there has to be a reason for it...However misguided that reason may be...It is what it is... B-)

Agreed, all we have is a hope and a prayer.....................Wait.................There's a song there somewhere.

They will try to sell us a rookie QB taken in the first round of the draft. At this point, it is their only option, and it is unfortunate that the Bills will be forced to make this pick in a year where there are probably no first round quality QBs (even Jim Kelly agrees with this). If you look on Buffalobills.com, they are already hyping a pre-draft, in person visit with Geno Smith. This is all they have.

Well since we're talking from a branding perspective, "this is all they have" (i.e. a rookie qb) is quite a lot. People LOVE rookie qbs, especially before the season starts.

What if the reason is not to let him down easy, but to leave him holding the smoldering bag as the whole thing implodes? It gives them someone to point at and another year of breathing room if the poop hits the fan. On the other hand, if Buddy pulls a bunch of miracles out of his keister, they're geniuses for keeping him around.

For me, its football. I love it. They dont need to sell me anything. Ill be watching.

Not everyone sees it like I do and I get that

What if the reason is not to let him down easy, but to leave him holding the smoldering bag as the whole thing implodes? It gives them someone to point at and another year of breathing room if the poop hits the fan. On the other hand, if Buddy pulls a bunch of miracles out of his keister, they're geniuses for keeping him around.

Well, it's possible I guess. I can see some script material developing here. It's going to get creepy if Brandon's next presser is filmed with him and a white cat on his lap.

Guys: a rookie QB. Think. Especially if it's one who played just up the Thruway.

That would get me as about as excited as signing Manny Lawson did. Next idea?

I can't even imagine what the board will do when we draft Warmack in rd 1 and a lb rd 2. 2013 has "first year of a three year plan" written all over it.

Edited by ndirish1978

I've boiled down my feelings about the Buffalo Bills to these 2 options, one of which will happen, both of which are mutually exclusive (I live out of market, btw):

1) If we draft a qb in the first 2 rounds, I will be excited about the coming season, I will talk myself into being optimistic, I will purchase NFL sunday ticket once again, and I will spend every sunday of the season, until we are mathematically eliminated (read: the first 10 weeks) watching the Bills. In this scenario, we draft a talent like Geno Smith, and I remind myself that we still have spiller, we still have stevie, and with a new D coordinator, maybe we catch lightening in a bottle and win 10 games. Hell, Brady was a 6th round pick, Ryan Leaf was a 1st round pick. I know nothing about how good these quarterbacks are coming out of college, because I dont watch college football. Likely, that statement applies to you as well. Maybe we strike gold on a rookie qb like the Bengals or the Seahawks. A middle of the road guy who can manage games with our defense to get us into the playoffs--thats all we wanted out of Fitz last year.

2) If we DONT draft a quarterback, I will not be buying Sunday ticket this year. I will find things to do with my family on sundays, and will just get updates from espn.com while out and about, or fixing up my house. This strategy would tell me the Bills are, once again, in full-on rebuild mode, and will be going another season without the playoffs. At that point, I will have no interest in this season. I'm done with the mindset of "if i stick with this team through the bad times, it will make the good times that much better." f*ck that--show me some good times again, and ill tolerate the bad times the NEXT time we rebuild. i dont need to show my fan card to anyone. leave buffalo, and tell someone you like the bills. no one is going to question if youre a "real" fan, i promise you. theyll just question why the hell you like the bills.

A new coaching staff that people are largely sold on, even with little evidence. A new, probably rookie, QB that they can sell. Russ Brandon is a marketing guy, he will come up with some gimmick. And last but certainly not least, Bill fans want DESPERATELY to Billieve. There is a hard core group of season ticket holders, many of them post here, who would buy seasons if the Bills went 0-16 for 5 straight years, so long as they were in Buffalo. Plus lots of others who look for any shred of hope to use as a reason to buy tickets and/or go for the tailgating.

There are bound to be blacked out games, but I doubt you will see games like Jax where it looks like a closed practice in their stands.