Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolb is not the answer. He has failed with two organizations. Who was the last QB to do that and then turn out to be a top player? It doesn't happen. And the Bills already have a stop gap veteran in Jackson so what's the point of this?

I'm not excited by the move, but it gives them the option of not drafting a rookie. Not saying they won't or shouldn't, but it gives other teams something to think about and doesn't force the Bills into making a poor pick out of need.

Kolb is not the answer. He has failed with two organizations. Who was the last QB to do that and then turn out to be a top player? It doesn't happen. And the Bills already have a stop gap veteran in Jackson so what's the point of this?

Either Kolb or TJax will be on the roster. Can't see both making it to week 1.

I'm not excited by the move, but it gives them the option of not drafting a rookie. Not saying they won't or shouldn't, but it gives other teams something to think about and doesn't force the Bills into making a poor pick out of need.

Good point Jeremy.

This is a good strategic move which pragmatically strengthens the position, at the same time creating uncertainty about what the Bills will do in the draft.

I'm not big on Kolb, but saying he 'failed' at Philadelphia is a bit much.

Does this take Kolb away from Oakland and force Oakland to draft Geno? That is my concern.

Wasn't Oakland going for Flynn?

This is a pretty "meh" move to me. I guess it gives them a quality backup, but I still want them to draft a QB in R1-2.

And the concussions are a real concern.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

Well I didn't really see the point in the Bills picking up another veteran QB because it could impede the development of the rookie QB-of-the-future but this is probably a sound signing.

Signing Kolb didn't cost the team any draft picks and the guy has some credentials and is probably an upgrade over TJax.

I really preferred to go all-in with the rookie QB but bottom line, our QB situation as a result of this signing is more solid than it was.

Pretty much this. So this doesn't cost us any draft picks then ? If true then yes, I'd say a pretty solid FA signing. Thanx.

EDIT: But we still need to draft a QB ....................I think?.

jb

Edited by jaybee

Either Kolb or TJax will be on the roster. Can't see both making it to week 1.

Can't afford a QB competition between two no-future veterans with a rookie who needs reps and attention in training camp and preseason sitting on the sidelines.

@ChrisBrownBills

Reports: QB Kolb to be cut, Jets interested http://wp.me/plmrg-7FT

@AdamSchefter 7m

Bills and former Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb finalizing a deal tonight that will give Buffalo one more starting-caliber QB.

Does this sound like desperation to anyone else?

They cut a mediocre Fitzpatrick for a mediocre Kolb?

What a franchise!

Edited by Billsguy

Yes but apparently they can't afford Flynn unless he restructures and he is resisting.

... which is smart, to a point. If he gets cut he gets free rein, or if Seattle has to keep him he is one rough play away from starting for a SB contender.

Starting is nice in the NFL, but so is making a sh-- ton of money to be on a Super Bowl-worthy roster, whether you play or not.

The cut a mediocre Fitzpatrick for a mediocre Kolb?

What a franchise!

I said it in the other thread and I'll repeat it here. It seems like a move to not force them into a corner. As it stood, everybody and their mother knew the Bills were taking a QB. Maybe the Raiders wanted to trade back, but it seemed certain the Bills were taking a QB. Now it's not so certain. Maybe the Raiders trade back and Bills take a QB. Maybe they don't like the 1st round on any QB, but the risk of waiting until the 2nd with only tjax on the roster was too much.

I see it as a move opening them up to options. Which mitigates my...distaste..for Kolb.

Kolb had zero chance behind that awful Cardinal Line.

And yet, Kolb completed 59 percent of his passes for 1,169 yards with eight touchdowns and three interceptions in an injury-plagued 2012 season.

It was only two seasons ago that Arizona sent a 2nd round pick and a quality starting cornerback to Philly for Kolb.

This for sure.

If he comes in, and does a bang up job and wins games, who will complain?

They cut a mediocre Fitzpatrick for a mediocre Kolb?

What a franchise!

No.

It sounds like a very sound move to me.

After seeing everything Fitz had to "offer," I'd much rather move on to a different player who may have more to offer.

Who was the last 7 year vet QB who bounced to his third team and went from mediocre to a star?

I never said he would...I just said, if he does good, who will complain? Whats the harm in giving him a shot at this point? Have the bills bottomoed out? when the bills take a qb in this draft, at least now, there are some options so you don't have to throw him to the wolves in week one.

The only thing I want Kolb (or Jackson or rookie QB) to master is the "hand the ball off to Spiller" play.

If only the modern NFL worked that way. The Vikings had a running back with one of the top seasons in NFL history and barely made the playoffs, and were eliminated in the first round.

Which almost for sure means we are out for Geno Smith, correct?

It doesn't look like Geno will be there at 8 to me, unless OAK trades out of the #3 spot. If he is I'd still take him. If he's gone we don't need to reach for Barkley or anyone else. I'd rather take my chances with with Tyler Wilson or Nassib in the 2nd if that's the case.