Has anyone seen this team worse off than right now?

We reportedly were so after Smith that it drove up the price for KC. We have 6 picks this year.

How can we address our "ton of weak spots" by trading away all of our picks to get Alex Smith?

This is typical Bills fan BS where you want to have your cake but eat it too. There are limited resources to work with.

Everyone complains, but if it were up to this board the Bills would have spent all of their cap space on a Guard, all of their draft picks on San Fran's backup QB... and then youd all be bitching about not being able to address LB, WR, TE, etc.

So which is it?

Most of the posters are not that ignorant to what the facts are and the holes we have. The frustration is due to the consistent poor decisions from the front office. We could have 9 draft picks this year and we would most likely hit on 2 at best. Right now this team is in a monster bind with no way out except being in the basement this year. Thats the sad reality of it. I cant speak for everyone but personally I am not heart broken at all. I will be a Bills fan because thats how I was bred, my family had seasons from the very first year of their existence up to 32 years later. Trends never ever lie and you cant ignore the fact we have more losing seasons than winning and havent been to the playoffs in 13 years. And in 1 of 13 we barely sniffed them. We lost to the Steelers back ups, yep I was at that game. I am not being a jerk just being honest. We are really good at losing.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tough to beat the Dan Darragh, Gary Marangi years of the late sixties. After we traded LaMonica Kemp got hurt and we went into a slump and never came up for air until OJ Simpson was drafted. I think that was the worst. Don't give up hope though..if we keep this up we will put together the worst situation we ever had.

The bad 60s years were bookended by AFL championship game appearances from 1964-66 and the OJ-oriented team that went 9-5/9-5/8-6 from 1973 to 1975. The fallow period was 6 years.

The bad 1970s team was bookended by the OJ team from 1973-75 and the 1980-81 Chuck Knox teams. The fallow period was four years.

The bad 1980s period was bookended by the good Knox teams and the great teams of the 1980s/1990s. The fallow period was again 6 years (1982-1987).

The bad 2000s period began in 2000 (although one could argue 2001) and has lasted until now. It is either 12 or 13 years depending on how you count 2000, which was either the last gasp of a good era or the beginning of the nadir period.

I think it's pretty inarguable that this is the worst period in team history even though the bad seasons in the 60s and 80s were worse than the bad season now and the fact that attendance was so poor in the mid-1980s. It's the length of the dry period that's the clincher.

I dont mean this in a negative way. I am merely calling it as I see it. Has anyone else seen the Bills in more dire straits than right now? Ive been going to the stadium since the early 70's and suffered through some tough times like the rest of you. But I dont ever remember it being as bad as it is right now. From the Buddy nix phone call that was just pathetic from a GM. To a long term deal with a journeyman contract. At one point we had Russ Brandon as the GM not too mention we have only hit on a few draft picks in the last ten or so years. 13 years of no playoffs. People can flame away at me, franky I dont care my life will go on. As of right now, and I know its been discussed already, but we have 1 wide receiver, no tight end until some point in the season, just lost the top or close to the top guards in the NFL, Fred Jackson has wear and tear so we have no depth at RB. We have one QB on the roster that we gave a 7th round pick for then never dressed him the whole year. Oh, and this QB cant hit the broad side of a barn. On defense we have no linebackers and wow, we signed a second stringer from Cinci. Maybe our D line is a strength but the jury is still out and Dareus hasnt played like a number 3 over all. He gets a pass for his brothers death. At safety we are weak and at CB too. I am bracing for 1-15 to 3-13 at very best. Yes my friends, its that bad. So get your popcorn ready for the comedy show.

Meh,

Chris Kelsay is gone. This is the first time in YEARS that I can look at the roster and not identify any long-time, stone-cold losers that will drag the team down just by their mere presence, all the proven trash is gone. The true new beginning won't happen until the ownership finally changes, but it's coming. Right now, I'm happy. :)

tough to beat the Dan Darragh, Gary Marangi years of the late sixties. After we traded LaMonica Kemp got hurt and we went into a slump and never came up for air until OJ Simpson was drafted. I think that was the worst. Don't give up hope though..if we keep this up we will put together the worst situation we ever had.

I hate to break it to you but your memory is failing...Gary Marangi was Fergy's backup in the mid-'70s, not the late '60s. ;)

The 2013 Bills have talent on the roster. The '84-'85 Bills were almost completely devoid of talent save for RB Greg Bell ('84) and Andre Reed & Bruce Smith (both arriving in '85). The franchise started turning the corner in '86 with the arrival of Bill Polian, Marv Levy, & Jim Kelly. Is there a parallel between that team and the 2013 team? By all accounts, Doug Whaley will be taking over for Buddy Nix and there's a new sheriff in town in the form of Doug Marrone. Can they get their franchise-type QB like Polian & Levy? Time will tell.

(Yes, I know Kelly was drafted in '83 [pre-Polian] but Polian finally got him to Buffalo)

I'd put us even now with 3 years ago when Coach Gailey came in. We had even less talent then and no decent QB. At least Marrone has more talent to work with. He'll have an NFL DC. He'll have a new QB who hasn't taken a snap for Buffalo. Hopefully said QB is good and we win more than 6 games. We'll see. It's a long time until September.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the Bills reportedly called Lawson's agent at 12:01 a.m. on the first day negotiating was allowed. I'd suggest that shows a sense of urgency and a specific plan. Whether it's the plan anyone likes is another matter, and I can't say I disagree with your comments about doing something with Fitz before the 11th hour. Again, however, even Fitz said he and Buddy were having regular conversations over the last several weeks.

They specifically waited until the 11th hr on Fitz so that they could both avoid paying the bonus, and designate him as a June 1 cut to spread his cap hit over 2 years.

The 2013 Bills have talent on the roster. The '84-'85 Bills were almost completely devoid of talent save for RB Greg Bell ('84) and Andre Reed & Bruce Smith (both arriving in '85). The franchise started turning the corner in '86 with the arrival of Bill Polian, Marv Levy, & Jim Kelly. Is there a parallel between that team and the 2013 team?

Don't forget Talley ('83), Jim Richter at guard and Fred Smerlas at NT were on the '84 roster and definite talent, then Conlan (#1 in '87 draft) and The Trade for Bennett ('87).

So actually I would say we might be a little ahead of '84 - Wood and Glenn on the OL, Spiller and Jackson RB, SJ at WR, Kyle Williams and Dareus on the DL, Byrd and Gilmore as DB,

I think that's a bit more talent (or more developed talent) than we had 3 years ago - lesse, Williams dates from 06, Wood and Byrd were drafted in 2009, SJ and Jackson were already on the roster but unrecognized talents, Spiller Dareus and Gilmore are the only proven additions of the last 3 years and I say "proven" in quotes for both Gilmore and Dareus so far.

Maybe we're about where we were in '86 before the draft and the return of Kelly? Uncertain.

I've been a fan since 1964. The teams in the late 60s and mid 80s were objectively worse. I remember the one-win seasons.

I have been a diehard fan, and I will continue to be a fan, but having said that, I have zero, absolutely zero, confidence in the new coaching regime.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I've finally given up the dogged optimism I have mustered over the last decade. Maybe Doug Marone will will turn out to be some sort of genius, in which case I will eat crow in public, but with the exception of Gregg Williams, a complete horse's a$$ whom I hated from day one, I can't think of a hire I have had less faith in going back to Harvey Johnson. Danny Crossman as ST coach? What does that suggest about Marone's judgment? Could he really think Ryan Nassib is going to be anything other than a backup QB in this league?

Add in the way they have let Levitre walk and dumped David Nelson and a half dozen other things, and I'm just going to sit back and let them prove to me they know what they are doing. I see no evidence to inspire the belief that they do.

I've been a fan since 1964. The teams in the late 60s and mid 80s were objectively worse. I remember the one-win seasons.

I have been a diehard fan, and I will continue to be a fan, but having said that, I have zero, absolutely zero, confidence in the new coaching regime.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I've finally given up the dogged optimism I have mustered over the last decade. Maybe Doug Marone will will turn out to be some sort of genius, in which case I will eat crow in public, but with the exception of Gregg Williams, a complete horse's a$$ whom I hated from day one, I can't think of a hire I have had less faith in going back to Harvey Johnson. Danny Crossman as ST coach? What does that suggest about Marone's judgment? Could he really think Ryan Nassib is going to be anything other than a backup QB in this league?

Add in the way they have let Levitre walk and dumped David Nelson and a half dozen other things, and I'm just going to sit back and let them prove to me they know what they are doing. I see no evidence to inspire the belief that they do.

I think we should all take that attitude.

Sure there is potential. To be decent or better and generating excitement, but also to suck golf balls through a garden hose.

I stay a fan but as to projecting ? I am a wait and see type of guy at this point. with a splash of optimism , of course

Edited by 3rdand12

The bad 60s years were bookended by AFL championship game appearances from 1964-66 and the OJ-oriented team that went 9-5/9-5/8-6 from 1973 to 1975. The fallow period was 6 years.

The bad 1970s team was bookended by the OJ team from 1973-75 and the 1980-81 Chuck Knox teams. The fallow period was four years.

The bad 1980s period was bookended by the good Knox teams and the great teams of the 1980s/1990s. The fallow period was again 6 years (1982-1987).

The bad 2000s period began in 2000 (although one could argue 2001) and has lasted until now. It is either 12 or 13 years depending on how you count 2000, which was either the last gasp of a good era or the beginning of the nadir period.

I think it's pretty inarguable that this is the worst period in team history even though the bad seasons in the 60s and 80s were worse than the bad season now and the fact that attendance was so poor in the mid-1980s. It's the length of the dry period that's the clincher.

Can't argue this at all. The bad seasons/talent were worse at previous times, it's the length and the absolute mediocrity which makes this so painful. At least consecutive 2-14 seasons get you good draft picks.

Meh,

Chris Kelsay is gone. This is the first time in YEARS that I can look at the roster and not identify any long-time, stone-cold losers that will drag the team down just by their mere presence, all the proven trash is gone. The true new beginning won't happen until the ownership finally changes, but it's coming. Right now, I'm happy. :)

It's an interesting point that of the Bills' reported top-15 compensated players (depends some on what site you use), 5 are gone and 1 is a FA - Fitz, Kelsay, Wilson, McGee,Barnett released and Spencer Johnson a FA.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the Bills reportedly called Lawson's agent at 12:01 a.m. on the first day negotiating was allowed. I'd suggest that shows a sense of urgency and a specific plan. Whether it's the plan anyone likes is another matter, and I can't say I disagree with your comments about doing something with Fitz before the 11th hour. Again, however, even Fitz said he and Buddy were having regular conversations over the last several weeks.

In 6 days of free agency, on a team so full of holes if it were a ship it would already be sunk, they called the Bengals backup linebacker? And that is urgency? Really? WOW?

Breaking: Alex Smith blows, without Harbaugh.What does trading the farm for Smith buy anyone?

It is interesting that KC seems to have this repeating pattern of trying to win the QB lottery by picking up other team's discarded one-time starters -

Montana past his prime was the best, Cassel, now Smith.

Seattle had the same pattern (Hasselbeck, TJax, even backups - Flynn) until they broke it last year by drafting Wilson despite having Flynn as the annointed starter and TJax as the designated hitter.

It is interesting that KC seems to have this repeating pattern of trying to win the QB lottery by picking up other team's discarded one-time starters -

Montana past his prime was the best, Cassel, now Smith.

Seattle had the same pattern (Hasselbeck, TJax, even backups - Flynn) until they broke it last year by drafting Wilson despite having Flynn as the annointed starter and TJax as the designated hitter.

I agree.....but you can't really count Hasselbeck in that class as he never started for GB, backing up Favre for 2 years there before being traded.

Meh,

I definitely agree with this Bro...It may take a year to really show up on the field...But at least The Bills seem to be showing they are no longer going to reward complete mediocrity...It seems like the freshest of the recent fresh starts at least... :lol: