Bills sign Manny Lawson

BRAWNDO

That would mean the Bills were probably successful, so in one respect that would not be bad

It'll be bad if our defense becomes top 5 leads us to 6-9 wins and the QB that we drafted sucks. Pettine leaves, defense sucks again and we pick 14th, missing out on the good QBs. Ugh. We're Bills fans. We should realize that there's a chance that happens.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be bad if our defense becomes top 5 leads us to 6-9 wins and the QB that we drafted sucks. Pettine leaves, defense sucks again and we pick 14th, missing out on the good QBs. Ugh. We're Bills fans. We should realize that there's a chance that happens.

I am REALLY hoping that the Nix/Whaley/Marrone/Hackett consortium has a specific idea of which QB(s) in the draft will be able to get the job they need done in this offense. I know we've been down this road many times over the past 16-17 years, but for some reason I do have more faith in our new HC and OC than I have in the previous decision makers.

Look, the chances are damn near 100% we'll have either Geno, Barkley, Nassib, Wilson, or Manuel on the roster going into camp -- one or more of those guys are going to wind up being solid NFL starters. It's time for the Bills to catch a break and pick the right guy.

The more I think about this signing, the more I am believing he was signed to fill a specific role, which was to cover TE's. I don't believe he will be an every down LB, but I can envision him having an important role to what this defense will be looking to accomplish moving forward.

The more I think about this signing, the more I am believing he was signed to fill a specific role, which was to cover TE's. I don't believe he will be an every down LB, but I can envision him having an important role to what this defense will be looking to accomplish moving forward.

While I don't think he will play every down, I think most of the guys the Bills will sign and/or draft will be like him, who can play in a multitude of defenses. They want to disguise what kind of defense they are going to be in so the O won't be able to tell from the personnel on the field is it going to be 3-4,4-3, 46, or other variations. Lawson does everything pretty good, not great. I doubt we will see many one dimensional guys, like guys who are good run stuffers or just good pass rushers but do little else.

The exception would be, of course, if you get a guy like Jarvis Jones who really excels at one thing.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but Lawson is a tremendous cover linebacker. Won't generate a lot of sacks but he blankets TEs and slot WRs.

but he can rush the passer. In san Fran, he was a 34 olb. He rushed a lot. The last two years, he was a 43 olb. Didn't rush so much. With us he, and that position will be hybrid. I am Sooo excited to see how it turns out. Dude can cover, rush, and may be our fastest line backer now. I see him as the closest thing to a three down linebacker we have Edited by JaxBills

I am REALLY hoping that the Nix/Whaley/Marrone/Hackett consortium has a specific idea of which QB(s) in the draft will be able to get the job they need done in this offense. I know we've been down this road many times over the past 16-17 years, but for some reason I do have more faith in our new HC and OC than I have in the previous decision makers.

Look, the chances are damn near 100% we'll have either Geno, Barkley, Nassib, Wilson, or Manuel on the roster going into camp -- one or more of those guys are going to wind up being solid NFL starters. It's time for the Bills to catch a break and pick the right guy.

Praying that we pick the right guy. I too, have more confidence in our current coaches than the previous regime.

Praying that we pick the right guy. I too, have more confidence in our current coaches than the previous regime.

Maybe you really do, but I see this type of statement a lot. But what I remember here is very few people expressing doubts about Gailey and Stache right after they were hired. It was pretty much all "I have much more confidence in Gailey than I did with Jauron" etc. .

Edited by CodeMonkey

but he can rush the passer. In san Fran, he was a 34 olb. He rushed a lot. The last two years, he was a 43 olb. Didn't rush so much. With us he, and that position will be hybrid. I am Sooo excited to see how it turns out. Dude can cover, rush, and may be our fastest line backer now. I see him as the closest thing to a three down linebacker we have

The every down line backer . I suppose most intend that to mean a guy that can stop the run, and cover.

Lawson can do that i suppose. I mean i have read up on him.

But Mikes defense is about bringing pressure and being sneaky about it. if you are going to pressure you might need to confuse the qb during his reading of coverages.

Lawson is the type of guy who will provide a more open playbook to pettine.

Freedom to react or counter the call at pre snap. as compared to Sheppard last year who most probably is a thumper type and every one knew who would not be in coverage long if at all.

Lawson will be an asset and probably find a sweet spot with the Mike Pettine Buffalo bills defense.

He is going to ruch the passer too. More than he did with bengals especially in the 4-3.

Manny played De at N.C. opposite M Williams and they tore it up big time. Albeit almost 8 years ago. But they were extremely dominate together.

I can see Mr Lawson being a strong player for us. A bit of a surprise to our board in general I would wager.

Very well thought out pick up by Whaley and company, The 12:01 phone call thing tells us they knew exactly who they wanted before hand.

Now if we could find another guy who could play MLB with Kelvin we might have something.

Go Bills ! !

Edited by 3rdand12