Levitre signs with Titans

Mango

$8 mil for an OG is ridiculous. You've got to look at your projected budget for your entire OL, for not only this year, but the years in the future. Wood's due next year, and i see OC as much more vital than OG. So Levitre walk this year for insane money may help keep the rest of the line intact.

It sucks losing him, but every team loses good players via FA. Its the nature of the game.

What makes you think that they will sign Wood? Remember the Briere - Drury debate? How did that turn out?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you think that they will sign Wood? Remember the Briere - Drury debate? How did that turn out?

Those that don't know their history are damned to repeat it. Sign Wood already! Don't wait until first day Wood is free agent numbskulls

Take OT with 8th pick, we over paid Mario, there are consequences like the Flacco contract. I would have matched the $7.8 million a year for Levitre but now we have to use a high draft pick to replace him. " OL is critical " a great qb will get hurt without one. Why didn't they trade Levitre if they wouldn't pay him big money???

Edited by independent

Not much more than they signed Dockery for back in the day

Dockery signed a *7 year 49M contract* with *13M in guaranteed money*. Also, Dockery was going to make only 18M over the first three years of the contract. I don't believe Levitre's deal is anywhere close to that deal.

We should extend contracts of good players 1 year before they become free agents. If we can't reach a fair deal, trade them for a draft pick at the least. We let too many good players walk.

It doesn't work like that, this isn't a fairy-tale world. There is no way on earth Levitre's agent is going to agree to a deal when he's 1 year away from being the top available UFA at his position and aligned for the biggest payday in his life. Despite what lip service you may have believed from Andy, his intention all along was to test FA.

It doesn't work like that, this isn't a fairy-tale world. There is no way on earth Levitre's agent is going to agree to a deal when he's 1 year away from being the top available UFA at his position and aligned for the biggest payday in his life. Despite what lip service you may have believed from Andy, his intention all along was to test FA.

Agreed but I don't think it was lip service. He probably did want to re-sign here. But when a team offers you that much money on the first day of FA, it's very hard not to jump at it. Levitre did the right thing, no question. I don't think the Bills mishandled it either. He and his agent knew the marketplace. You're right, there was no way they were signing with the Bills early unless the Bills made an outrageous offer.

when Chris Johnson's numbers are up and spiller & Freddy's are down.......paying an extra million more than you wanted to for a stud guard won't seem so crazy.

yea, when the overworked back is a year removed and likely recovered from the beating he took putting up 2k, and our 30+ back is a year older and slowing down.... it will be all the proof most need in order to complain

yea, when the overworked back is a year removed and likely recovered from the beating he took putting up 2k, and our 30+ back is a year older and slowing down.... it will be all the proof most need in order to complain

Prepare yourself for the onslaught of posts slamming the Bills every time Johnson rips off a big gainer and Spiller gets stuffed in the backfield. Because, you know, that NEVER happened when we had Levitre and the Titans didn't.

GO BILLS!!!

when Chris Johnson's numbers are up and spiller & Freddy's are down.......paying an extra million more than you wanted to for a stud guard won't seem so crazy.

Levitre will be missed, and his replacement will be inferior, but I think at this price this is a good move. As to your comments about an extra million, I don't think that is the real financial picture. And as for RB numbers up or down, Levitre is more highly regarded as a pass protector than a road grader run blocker.

Truly a dedicated and talented player, and I wish him nothing but the best, and I am happy he got his payday with the Titans, but I am also happy that our front office isn't inclined to spend $46m on one of the more fungible positions in the NFL. Addressing our needs at QB, WR, LB are more crucial, and taking a slight downgrade at OG in the process is a reasonable sacrifice to make.

PFF's take:

Andy Levitre (OG) to TEN: 6-year, $46.8m deal

"We like Levitre. He was our ninth ranked guard and can really hold up in the pass blocking game. But is he a player that is going to be the difference between the Titans winning and losing games? In all honesty no. He’s not a difference maker in the run game, and while good in space, he’s getting considerably more money than guards like Evan Mathis and Ben Grubbs who are just far better players. The Titans got their man, but at the end of the day, they’ve spent a lot of money over a long period without pushing their team on."

Pretty much my take on this...he's getting paid a lot more than he is worth...very good player, but not a great one, and not worth the type of money he is getting...not happy to lose him, but our money can be spent better elsewhere...

PFF's take:

Andy Levitre (OG) to TEN: 6-year, $46.8m deal

"We like Levitre. He was our ninth ranked guard and can really hold up in the pass blocking game. But is he a player that is going to be the difference between the Titans winning and losing games? In all honesty no. He’s not a difference maker in the run game, and while good in space, he’s getting considerably more money than guards like Evan Mathis and Ben Grubbs who are just far better players. The Titans got their man, but at the end of the day, they’ve spent a lot of money over a long period without pushing their team on."

Pretty much my take on this...he's getting paid a lot more than he is worth...very good player, but not a great one, and not worth the type of money he is getting...not happy to lose him, but our money can be spent better elsewhere...

Presuming the Bills actually spend it, and that players are prepared to take it from them to come here and play good football, I agree with you.

That's a big presumption given past history, last year's Mario bonanza notwithstanding.