Levitre signs with Titans

Mango

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have to spend the money. the front office designating fitz a june 1 implies we plan on spending it this year.

lets see what we do with that before we get toooo upset.

I guess I am too upset. Historically the Bills have struggled to staff the OL and I hate to break up one of the most competent units we had in years. I don't see to many better available options out there but am willing to wait (have no choice anyway)

lol are you related to Levitre? Sorry but that post is nonsense.

Ignoring the condescending tone of your post, care to specify in what way it did not make sense ?

I can name 6-7 better guards than Andy right now off the top of my head, and if I used Google, probably 3-4 more.

How many of them are available to help the Bills this season ?

I guess I am too upset. Historically the Bills have struggled to staff the OL and I hate to break up one of the most competent units we had in years. I don't see to many better available options out there but am willing to wait (have no choice anyway)

Ignoring the condescending tone of your post, care to specify in what way it did not make sense ?

my hope is that nix and his staff have actually done very well with interior lineman.

Did you listen to that phone call and the 3 day rule, it seemed no team is able to sign there players. They are nearly all going to test FA to see how much money they can get. And judging by a few of these contracts already, players are getting OVERPAID.

Ofcourse. It is only right that FAs do so, they owe it to themselves. I am just surprised that the Bills pegged his value at less than $7.8 MM/yr

I see the roughly 8 million and realize that is a lot of money. However, what would be a good amount, 6 mi? If that's the case, I would gladly pay an extra 2 mil a year to lock up a young, homegrown guy like Levitre who is solid and will probably get even better.

If you think Levitre is worth $6 million a year, paying a 33% premium on top of that is not sensible in any way, shape, or form. I think $8 million a year is simply too much to pay an OG, and if the Bills are serious about approaching the football operation analytically, this is the kind of decision you need to make - the players you don't sign are as important as the ones you do.

The Bills have absolutely struggled to staff the OLine...but not since 2009:

Levitre, Wood, Glenn, Urbrik, Peers, Hairston---that's more talent right there than they could find in the near-decade preceding.

We have all this money, and for what? Would it have been overspending a bit, sure. But maybe we need to reward our own and stop rebuilding after our picks walk and never move forward

What money? There's a reason they aren't playing let's make a deal today. They are strapped by some huge contracts, and now some dead money. Blame that on a GM that should never have been hired as one. They will get a couple of guys in a couple of days, just like they telegraphed the entire league weeks ago. Edited by Best Player Available

Ofcourse. It is only right that FAs do so, they owe it to themselves. I am just surprised that the Bills pegged his value at less than $7.8 MM/yr

Technically 7.8 is not 7.8 in Buffalo. No income tax in Tennessee. They would have had to offer more. Potentially overpay, actually definitely over pay. Bidding war would ensue, and at the end of the day he could still end up picking Tennessee.

If you think Levitre is worth $6 million a year, paying a 33% premium on top of that is not sensible in any way, shape, or form. I think $8 million a year is simply too much to pay an OG, and if the Bills are serious about approaching the football operation analytically, this is the kind of decision you need to make - the players you don't sign are as important as the ones you do.

you will never sign a top tier guard if thats a line you draw in the sand.

its big money, but when comparing to the top tier at any other position its still relatively cheap

Technically 7.8 is not 7.8 in Buffalo. No income tax in Tennessee. They would have had to offer more. Potentially overpay, actually definitely over pay. Bidding war would ensue, and at the end of the day he could still end up picking Tennessee.

5% on top of 7.8 is 8.2...

I didn't say your post did not make sense, I said it was nonsense. This line in particular - "There is simply no way to reconcile our way out of this loss." Really?

Whelp this doesn't look like its happening. Looks like Landry and Devito will go elsewhere. I'd be pissed if they went warmack at 8. If they want to upgrade the line, run to the podium for Fisher if he is there. Dude is a stud. Glenn can kick inside which could upgrade both positions.

Manuel in the 2nd

Whelp this doesn't look like its happening. Looks like Landry and Devito will go elsewhere. I'd be pissed if they went warmack at 8. If they want to upgrade the line, run to the podium for Fisher if he is there. Dude is a stud. Glenn can kick inside which could upgrade both positions.

Manuel in the 2nd

In the past I would have agreed with you but not today. The prototype OG used to be a total mauler. Now it's a passing league, and Levitre has that left tackle footing. He doesn't pancake his opponents so much, but he gets good angles on the run.

This will not help Glenn in terms of his development.

I certainly agree with your assessment about Levitre and the shift in value for linemen. It is indeed a passing league. There's a reason he's getting such a big contract - he's a very good player for the (relatively) new NFL.

That being said, Byrd is exceptionally valuable too. A guy who can force that many turnovers (in the form of INTs) in a passing league is great to have too.

Edited by dave mcbride

you will never sign a top tier guard if thats a line you draw in the sand.

its big money, but when comparing to the top tier at any other position its still relatively cheap

Well, that brings up a good point - should you sign a top tier guard? I'd be inclined to say no. You should invest your money at other positions. It's impossible to have top tier players across the board, and guard is a position where the drop-off between a top player and lower-rated player is less severe.

All IMO, of course, and maybe I'm way off base. But I think every personnel decision needs to be approached in that light - really examine what you're losing if you sub in a lesser player.

Well, that brings up a good point - should you sign a top tier guard? I'd be inclined to say no. You should invest your money at other positions. It's impossible to have top tier players across the board, and guard is a position where the drop-off between a top player and lower-rated player is less severe.

All IMO, of course, and maybe I'm way off base. But I think every personnel decision needs to be approached in that light - really examine what you're losing if you sub in a lesser player.

for sure, but i think thats why you see them at 8m instead of 12m, or 16m

just something to consider in that discussion. if a great guard helps you get by with a stop gap type tackle next to him - thats not awful either.

all depends on scheme and plan. id have liked him, but im not outraged over the loss either.

Edited by NoSaint

Awesome, precisely the site I was hoping for! Thanks.

JESUS! I based my estimate on our ludicrous rates here in IL!!

Well only the home games get the no income tax. All away games are taxed at rate of the state played in. So, I thought your 5% was a pretty good average over the course of the year.