Bill Polian talks Geno & Barkley

I think the weather thing is so overrated. How many terrible weather games did the Bills play in this year? Also, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are from Cali. They seem to do fine in the elements.

And what is this value thing when it comes to QBs? Why would you risk losing a QB you like because Mel Kiper says he should go in the 2nd round? It is the most important position in football. If you are willing to wait on a guy so you get good value, is he really the type of guy you want to build your franchise around?

ive always said - follow the draft board and take BPA, with one caveat:

Is there a qb I believe in? Yes, take him. No, take the best player left.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalo...f-geno-barkley/

“I can tell you Geno Smith’s strength is the ability to throw the ball down the field,” said Polian. “He’s got good arm strength, he has good athleticism, and can pretty much function in any system."

" he’s a guy that can pretty much fit into every system. He has a quick release, gets the ball out quickly, so that’s a real plus."

Based on these comments, why would we pass on Geno if he was available at #8.

Ability to throw down the field, good arm strength, athletic, quick release, watching tape you know he can hit his wr in stride on the intermediate and short passes add in the fact that he's known to be a smart Qb and gym rat and I really can't see a legit argument to pass if he were sitting there @ #8.

Two of the most important traits for a QB to have are accuracy and the ability to read defenses quickly. It's unfortunate that Polian had very little to say about how strong either QB was in those areas.

I agree that if Geno makes it to #8 that we take him.

I also agree that it's unlikely that he'll be there at #8.

I wouldn't say it's unlikely at all. I could see Arians following the Colts lead. They drafted a left tackle two seasons ago and were in position to draft a QB without having him killed.

Now, we all know that Arizona has the worst OL in the league. There will probably be a LT worth taking at #7 out of Joekle, Fischer or Johnson. I can definitely see Arians drafting his LT with an eye on big QBs like Manuel or Glennon with either second pick or trading up a few spots.

To answer the OP's question - why would "we" pass on Geno if he's available at #8?

Arm strength isn't everything. He's inconsistent and doesn't read defenses well from what I've heard about him.

He might be coachable, but he is not the full package. Barkley seems to have a better field presence and a decent arm and can make all the throws too. He's injured and coming off a sub-par (for him) year. He's not the full package either. And that's probably a good thing, because if either one of them were, The Bills wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting either one of them at #8.

But yet Geno is rated ahead of all other QB's. Recognize the smokescreen when you see it. If the QB's were just judged on arm strength, Glennon would be a lock. They will all have to adjust to reading the pro defenses just as they did the college defenses. I am more concerned with their ability to make the offensive reads and progressions as oppose to locking on to one receiver and then checking down. Pocket presence is important as well. QB's that get rid of the ball quickly can usually put opposing the defenses on their heels.

Edited by VADC Bills

To answer the OP's question - why would "we" pass on Geno if he's available at #8?

Arm strength isn't everything. He's inconsistent and doesn't read defenses well from what I've heard about him.

He might be coachable, but he is not the full package. Barkley seems to have a better field presence and a decent arm and can make all the throws too. He's injured and coming off a sub-par (for him) year. He's not the full package either. And that's probably a good thing, because if either one of them were, The Bills wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting either one of them at #8.

As for what you've heard about Geno...Watch some of his tape and tell me if he can read Defenses or not...Now...I'm not saying there is no room for improvement with Geno...He did struggle at times later in the year...But I could care less what anyone says about the kid reading Defenses...You can not easily look past that completion percentage in his Sr year...Heck in his College Football career... 71.2% as a Sr...67.4% College career on over 1400 attempts...No QB gets those numbers on accident...

I'll be the first to admit there is a leap of faith involved in Drafting Geno...But look...If you're going to gamble, you might as well gamble with a super athletic kid who has a plus arm, high completion numbers, and 98 TD's to only 21 INT's in 3 years as a Starter at WVU...The sky is the limit for Geno potential-wise...It's going to take a great Coach with a great system that match his talents...But if Geno is the guy Marrone wants, I think his chances of NFL success are very good... B-)

I don't think Geno or Barkley will be there at 8

I think both will be there and we will pass on both. There are better players at other positions at #8. I think they will try to trade back up into round 1 to get either Barkley or Manuel. Indy at #24 is short on picks and probably will be open to a trade down.

I think both will be there and we will pass on both. There are better players at other positions at #8.

A similar theory got the Bills Aaron Williams instead of Kaepernick, and TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson...So...I agree...That's probably exactly what Buddy will do... B-)

Even a RB? My guess is next year is the time to draft Spiller's replacement.

at 8, maybe not but thats made easy by not having an adrian peterson in this class.

generally i want the draft to be about talent acquisition not filling holes. the contract whims of players, injuries, etc... makes it so the best thing you can do is get the most talent possible.

Do you think buffalo would trade up to get Geno? And what would it take?

I like him, I believe he would have been the third QB taken last year.

Edited by frogger

Has anyone ever said so-and-so is a bum and shouldn't be drafted?

PTR

most people outside of buffalo are saying that Nassib is a 3rd round pick at best. I have heard career backup, and never a starter from some NFL scouts. Only Buffalo takes him a round or two early and throws him behind enter day one

Even a RB? My guess is next year is the time to draft Spiller's replacement.

Good point but I think next year is the year they draft Fred Jackson's replacement. I expect a big time drop in his production this season.

If geno manages to get by the raiders @ #3..he wont pass by cleveland @ #6 barkley wont make it to #8 arizona @ pick #7 are reportedly"" extremely impressed with barkley"".....seems like another draft without a ""franchise type prospect at QB""......:cry:

If geno manages to get by the raiders @ #3..he wont pass by cleveland @ #6 barkley wont make it to #8 arizona @ pick #7 are reportedly"" extremely impressed with barkley"".....seems like another draft without a ""franchise type prospect at QB""...... :cry:

there is absolutely no way the Bills don't take a QB day 1. fans would go nuts. Nix is desperate and everyone knows that. If this was like poker then unfortunately he has shown his hand. If their guys are gone at 8 I wouldn't be surprised to see something like what the Broncos did to get Tebow where we trade away our whole draft to go after someone late in the 1st

^^

Great post right there. If either one of these guys was anywhere near a sure thing, we would have to trade up to get one of them

Why are we listening to people like Kiper and Polian, etc., when we have people right here on TBD that knew Tom Brady was going to be a superstar before he committed to going to Michigan?

Personally, I believe they should draft BPA at 8 (won't be a QB) and draft Tyler Wilson in round 2. I think that kid will be something special.

So special that a team that hasn't had a good QB for 20 years, should let the rest of the league have 39 chances to select him, before allowing him to come to Buffalo and be special. Makes sense.

I think both will be there and we will pass on both. There are better players at other positions at #8. I think they will try to trade back up into round 1 to get either Barkley or Manuel. Indy at #24 is short on picks and probably will be open to a trade down.

I think there's a better chance of us trading up for geno. If they love the kid, go get the kid. No excuses. If they don't love him.....well, trade back or draft whichever QB they do love.

^^

Great post right there. If either one of these guys was anywhere near a sure thing, we would have to trade up to get one of them

No one is saying geno is a "sure thing", but it is possible to get a GREAT QB at #8....as well as rd2-7. There's a chance that we will trade up for one.

Why are we listening to people like Kiper and Polian, etc., when we have people right here on TBD that knew Tom Brady was going to be a superstar before he committed to going to Michigan?

We even had a guy once say that the Patriots made up the Bledsoe "sheared blood vessel in the chest" injury so they could start Brady without all the fan backlash. I can't remember who that poster was but I remember laughing so hard I kinda choked on my diet coke.