Bill Polian talks Geno & Barkley

There's alot I could say here, but I'll make just a few points:

1: Smith's completion % is a great indicator of his pro potential

2: to the guy that said smith played in a worse conference than Mccoy...THey both played in the Big 12

3: to those who question his ability to read defenses, go back and check into the coaching staff interviews, they rarely asked him to make more than 2 reads. Like many spread offenses, he had his 2 primary reads, then the checkdown. However, when asked about his "Football IQ" everyone agreed that that Smith's is very high.

and Finally, how many yrs have an "andrew luck, or Rg3" been available? the answer is few and far between, yet somehow, teams have managed to win anyway. If Smith turns out to be a Drew Brees type, or Aaron Rodgers, I'll be happy with that.

You can't base the strength of this QB group on the fact that there isn't a once in a decade guy available. That doesn't mean he's a "scrub".

IMHO, Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson for that matter, are guys that you can build a team around. Consider the fact that we have a solid line in place, a premier RB, top shelf #1 WR, and a young WR that would benefit from a guy that has the ABILITY to throw downfield. Its a good situation for a young QB to come in to.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

332 attempts 433 completions 34 TDs 8 Ints;

That was Colt McCoy's Jr season in a much better conference that Geno Smith played in. I am not saying that Smith is Colt McCoy - he has a stronger arm, but isn't much bigger, has very small hands (FWIW) and had far fewer Ws in his career.

Jason Campbell completed 70% of his passes as a SR with a 3-1 TD-INT ratio in a GREAT conference.

I *like* Geno Smith and think he has a chance to be a decent to good starting QB in the NFL. I just don't know if the likelihood of him being an above average starter is high enough to justify drafting him with the 8th pick. Never mind what the probability of him being a top 10 NFL QB would be.....

I can align, to some extent, with the "we've got to have a QB that is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick" argument, but it all comes down to how strongly the Bills' professional scouts believe that he can be a good enough NFL QB to make them competitive in the playoffs. If they think there is a pretty good chance that he'll become that good, then by all means use the 8th pick in the draft on him. If not, then take someone at another position who has a better probability of being very good at their position.

Just a hunch old timer, but I think you may have those attempts and completions for Colt backwards :)

Its funny how ppl say we need a game changer at #8..do you honestly believe if the bills draft a Lb at #8 that he will make this defense sooo much better and have a greater impact on the field then drafting a Qb who becomes a solid starter? You can put patrick willis on this defense and we still wont make the playoffs...add a solid starting qb to the bills and we can be contenders for a wildcard....no other position has a greater impact then a Qb....Bills have nothing at the most vital position...

Did... Ummm... Did we.... Just agree?

Just a hunch old timer, but I think you may have those attempts and completions for Colt backwards :)

I thought you were calling him "old timer" like he was an old fogey. Then I realized you were talking to OldTimer. So, never mind.

Did... Ummm... Did we.... Just agree?

Well this is awkward.

Jeez man, the NFL cast off wagon is littered with #1 scrub QB's that didn't make it. Why reach for a player who isn't graded as a #1 or even a top 10 player.

Its not just Kiper, its every scout out there! I trust what Mike Mayock over anyone else and he is also stating there isn't an elite QB that should be taken in the top ten this year. But, some idiot teams will fall in love with some scrub and draft him way earlier then they should. Blane Gabbert, Tim Tebow, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn. Jake Locker, Vince Young. Cam Newton who was ranked by just about everyone as a #15-32 player and was drafted #1 overall still hasn't gotten his team near the playoffs.\

SUPER LOLZ.

I think picking a quarterback at 8th overall in this draft is a reach. Yes, the Bills need a quarterback, but reaching for one at number 8 can only set the franchise back further. The Bills should be able to draft a very good player at number 8 that can help the team immediately. Go defense, then get a quarterback later.

The highlighted is the only argument that I have with your post. It isn't because I think that Barkley is a great prospect, but rather to argue that he is a poor prospect because other USC QBs have failed. By that logic, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would be no good because their predecessors at their respective schools were not good NFL QBs.

Just sayin that thru some of the things I've read about USC QB's leads me to believe they suck. I dunno, Barkley might just be different. The guy is graded by some as a second round pick

http://walterfootbal...013mbarkley.php

Feb. 20: I've heard from multiple sources that NFL teams are souring on USC quarterbacks because they are viewed more as Hollywood stars than football players. Matt Barkley's decision not to throw at the Combine has prompted similar sentiments from two scouts:

"Here we go again, another L.A. movie star quarterback who needs his own day to throw," a veteran scout told Yahoo!

"And you wonder why guys from Southern California (are bad)?" a veteran team executive said. "Everything is like they have to draw attention to themselves."

When Barkley not being cleared was mentioned, the executive just grew angrier.

"I'm telling you, it's always [something] with guys from down there… not just USC, the whole area. I don't know what it is."

Its clearly not just me.

I do recall almost everyone on this board stating they didn't want another USC Rob Johnson type. Johnson left USC holding virtually ever major passing record and spent much of his senior year as a HT candidate. In his final game for the school, Johnson led his team to victory in the 95 cotton bowl, dominating Texas Tech by a final score of 55-14

How players play in college doesn't always translate to the NFL and USC seems to be the opposite of a QB factory for the NFL. I just don't trust Geno Smith either because in some games where his team got behind in the score he couldn't bring them back, and looked very defeated on the sidelines. Jeez, haven't we Bills fans seen enough of that?

Edited by FeartheLosing

Just sayin that thru some of the things I've read about USC QB's leads me to believe they suck. I dunno, Barkley might just be different. The guy is graded by some as a second round pick

http://walterfootbal...013mbarkley.php

Feb. 20: I've heard from multiple sources that NFL teams are souring on USC quarterbacks because they are viewed more as Hollywood stars than football players. Matt Barkley's decision not to throw at the Combine has prompted similar sentiments from two scouts:

"Here we go again, another L.A. movie star quarterback who needs his own day to throw," a veteran scout told Yahoo!

"And you wonder why guys from Southern California (are bad)?" a veteran team executive said. "Everything is like they have to draw attention to themselves."

When Barkley not being cleared was mentioned, the executive just grew angrier.

"I'm telling you, it's always [something] with guys from down there… not just USC, the whole area. I don't know what it is."

Its clearly not just me.

I do recall almost everyone on this board stating they didn't want another USC Rob Johnson type. Johnson left USC holding virtually ever major passing record and spent much of his senior year as a HT candidate. In his final game for the school, Johnson led his team to victory in the 95 cotton bowl, dominating Texas Tech by a final score of 55-14

How players play in college doesn't always translate to the NFL and USC seems to be the opposite of a QB factory for the NFL. I just don't trust Geno Smith either because in some games where his team got behind in the score he couldn't bring them back, and looked very defeated on the sidelines. Jeez, haven't we Bills fans seen enough of that?

His defense was giving up over 40 pts/gm. It's kinda difficult to "lead your team back from behind" when the defense continually gives the lead right back to the opponent. Kinda like the TCU or Oklahoma games this yr.

How inconsistent was he? He completed 70% of his passes.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/488025/geno-smith

Yeah, because of his "Lights Out" performances against such power houses as James Madison, Marshall, and the juggernaut which is Kansas. :rolleyes: Baylor as well had a poorous defense this year. He is inconsistent at times and struggles with progressions when teams take away his first read.

http://espn.go.com/c...8025/geno-smith

Yeah, because of his "Lights Out" performances against such power houses as James Madison, Marshall, and the juggernaut which is Kansas. :rolleyes: Baylor as well had a poorous defense this year. He is inconsistent at times and struggles with progressions when teams take away his first read.

Yeah, it's almost like Alabama didn't play Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, or Western Carolina. You play the teams on your schedule. Geno's stats across the whole season are fairly strong. I've pointed out in another thread that his stats from his "poor" Nov-Dec are actually fairly consistent if not remarkable.

BTW Geno had a great game against Oklahoma but his team's defense was more "poorous" than Baylor's.

Yeah, it's almost like Alabama didn't play Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, or Western Carolina. You play the teams on your schedule. Geno's stats across the whole season are fairly strong. I've pointed out in another thread that his stats from his "poor" Nov-Dec are actually fairly consistent if not remarkable.

BTW Geno had a great game against Oklahoma but his team's defense was more "poorous" than Baylor's.

Continue to drink your koolaid my friend and I will continue to hope we steer clear. :thumbsup:

To the people that want to draft Matt Barkley didn't learn anything from the Mark Sanchez at #5 in 2009, didn't learn anything from at # 10 in Matt Leinart in 2006. USC QB's are babies. While very QB thats ever drafted looked awesome in his highlight reels, what about when the game is on the line and his team is down by 10+ points. Geno Smith folded in games like that this year.

I'm hoping Doug Marrone has some say in this years draft and the Bills skip on the prospect for reaching for a scrub QB.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever! I'm not a USC fan, but lets look at the facts:

3 USC started in the NFL last year. More than any other school

A. Carson Palmer was a top 10 QB in the league before his injury. 2 time probowler. nice career.

B. Mark Sanchez lead his team to one game of the Super Bowl twice. Should have made the probowl in 2011 minus his int's. 1 bad year in 4 year career.

C. Matt Cassel has had an average career. 1 time probowler. Lead his team to the playoffs once, which is more than I can say for any Bills QB in the last decade.

I know none of them are of the "Elite" status, but to say USC QB's are babies is insane. And yes, I think Barkley is clearly the top QB this year. Barkley, T. Wilson, Glennon, Geno Smith and Nassib are my top 5 after 2 months of watching film.

http://espn.go.com/c...8025/geno-smith

Funny you failed to mention his 2011 performances against #2 LSU and #15 Clemson in a bowl game. Throwing for 463 yards against those scrubs at LSU is hardly impressive.

Funny you failed to mention his 2011 performances against #2 LSU and #15 Clemson in a bowl game. Throwing for 463 yards against those scrubs at LSU is hardly impressive.

Continue to drink your koolaid my friend and I will continue to hope we steer clear. :thumbsup:

I will. And if we get a QB with 98 tds to 21 ints who had one of the worst defenses in college football, I will chug pitchers of kool aid.

:lol: And if he does that in the NFL I will give you a lifetime supply. Personal opinion, he may be the second coming of Jason Campbell. We have to take him @ #8 then.........or we could just pick the original up in FA.

:lol: And if he does that in the NFL I will give you a lifetime supply. Personal opinion, he may be the second coming of Jason Campbell. We have to take him @ #8 then.........or we could just pick the original up in FA.

Well, I give you credit for not comparing him to a running black QB. :thumbsup: Obviously, neither of us have any idea but for the sake of comparison: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jason-campbell-1.html Campbell had a 45 td to 24 int ratio in college. He also played a team with a very good defense. I think some folks underestimate how much pressure was on Smith (and Barkley for that matter) knowing they had to score 35+ points per game because they had a terrible defense. At this point in the franchise's history, I'm ready to draft a QB on a resume. Both Smith and Barkley were talked about at various times as 1st overall picks. Now they're bums? I'll "settle" for either.

And separate point, I think Campbell is a pretty solid NFL QB who got jerked around a lot. For instance, I think he could have put up better #s under Gailey than Fitz. He was playing really well for the Raiders and got hurt. Then the Raiders made one of the worst trades in NFL history.

The LSU game made me a beliver. That was a GREAT defense with arguably the BEST secondary in the country and Geno Smith made them look silly. Not only with his throws but with his ability to check in and out of plays at the LOS. He used the entire field and had that defense on its toes the entire game.

GO BILLS!!!

His defense was giving up over 40 pts/gm. It's kinda difficult to "lead your team back from behind" when the defense continually gives the lead right back to the opponent. Kinda like the TCU or Oklahoma games this yr.

This is the most ridiculous thing ever! I'm not a USC fan, but lets look at the facts:

3 USC started in the NFL last year. More than any other school

A. Carson Palmer was a top 10 QB in the league before his injury. 2 time probowler. nice career.

B. Mark Sanchez lead his team to one game of the Super Bowl twice. Should have made the probowl in 2011 minus his int's. 1 bad year in 4 year career.

C. Matt Cassel has had an average career. 1 time probowler. Lead his team to the playoffs once, which is more than I can say for any Bills QB in the last decade.

I know none of them are of the "Elite" status, but to say USC QB's are babies is insane. And yes, I think Barkley is clearly the top QB this year. Barkley, T. Wilson, Glennon, Geno Smith and Nassib are my top 5 after 2 months of watching film.

Jeez guys, stats and production in college doesn't always translate into the NFL. Just Google failed first round QB's and look at all the bums. Kinda why its so difficult for NFL teams to find a franchise QB. Looking at some college players stats you would think that they would be NFL HoFers once drafted, and instead some don't even make decent back up QB's!

So, all in all stop throwing stats and highlights at others, instead look how they played in adversity and "IF" they can win in bad situations. No matter how great the college defense they have faced, its still college its not the pro's.

There is a reason why Smith and Barkley are not graded higher then mid first round picks by almost every scout.

Edited by FeartheLosing