on Dan Patrick this morning A. Smith talk, G. Smith talk

Interesting. So the Bills lost out. That's my takeaway.

If true, another takeaway is that Buddy is now willing to trade picks for a QB. This from someone who was adamant about not giving up high picks to move around on draft day in years past. Last year it was breaking the bank on UFA and now it could be trading draft picks.

Nix has not traded a high (1st-3rd) pick for anything during his tenure as GM. I guess they're getting desperate.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lost me on this. Everywhere you said Cards I assume you meant the Chiefs.

Possibly more important than all else is what this report reveals about how the Bills like the QBs in this draft.

I agree..I feel the Bills are going to take a QB this year more for the fact if they don't the fans will come running with pitch-forks...3 or 4 QB's coming out next year look so much better...I wouldn't mind a later round QB this year and going after a day 1 QB next year...

ditto....would love to lose out on Alex Smith and win out by getting Geno.

Only Bills fans would want to lose out on a guy that in the last couple of years has turned the corner and had success vs. a guy who has done nothing in the NFL with very serious consistancy issues.

And Many wonder why the Bills continue to stink?

If true, another takeaway is that Buddy is now willing to trade picks for a QB. This from someone who was adamant about not giving up high picks to move around on draft day in years past. Last year it was breaking the bank on UFA and now it could be trading draft picks.

Nix has not traded a high (1st-3rd) pick for anything during his tenure as GM. I guess they're getting desperate.

Or he thinks there is enough of a foundation of talent that he can afford to use picks to move up, as he mentioned during one of his interviews this past season. I think it was one of the wgr interviews. Or you could look at it your way.

Only Bills fans would want to lose out on a guy that in the last couple of years has turned the corner and had success vs. a guy who has done nothing in the NFL with very serious consistancy issues.

right, lets get another average fitz style can't lead a team qb.............i think you nailed it though it is my fault the bills continue to stink..........fans like me.

guess you can conveniently forget all of the young qb's that are littered throughout the playoffs lately?

can you make up some more stuff to add to your post? Geno sure struggles with his 70 plus percent completion percentage. :wallbash: :wallbash:

agree to disagree sir.........enjoy your alex smith's of the world. guy who lost his job to another YOUNG qb.

I agree..I feel the Bills are going to take a QB this year more for the fact if they don't the fans will come running with pitch-forks...3 or 4 QB's coming out next year look so much better...I wouldn't mind a later round QB this year and going after a day 1 QB next year...

I'm with you. A high round QB this year, no matter how bad they look, means no QB on say 1 next year. I would rather go high risk/high reward in a later round this year, then take a high first rounder next year if he doesn't work out.

I still dont want Smith. I just dont think he is very good.

I'll be interested to see how many QBs go before the Bills pick. I could see anywhere from none to 3.

I read in an article quoting some NFL scout that its believe in NFL circle that the Bills are targeting Nassib, and are hoping to get him in the 2nd (thats an obvious assumption, who knows if its warranted). But the scout went on to say that teams know that if their team wants Nassib, they need to leapfrog Buffalo to get in front of them, and he said teams are preparring to do that.

Basically, I dont think there will be any QBs left by the time our 2nd round pick comes along.

Exactly. Nix is DESPERATE to get a QB. Typically when you are desperate like that you end up reaching. There's nothing scarier to fans than a GM that is desperate and has nothing to lose

Alex Smith was the best QB available. We wanted an athletic qb who is strong and experienced. A winner who is best at a west coast style offense and worth less than $ 10M a year. I would have given up a #2 for him. We want to win now and I admire the FO for trying. I don't think Barkeley who is the best west coast qb but is not super accurate or Geno Smith who is not a winner are the answer with our #1 pick. I would take either in round 2 but I would rather have Alex Smith before those two.

You lost me on this. Everywhere you said Cards I assume you meant the Chiefs.

Possibly more important than all else is what this report reveals about how the Bills like the QBs in this draft.

What happens if the Bills do not select a QB at all? Joe B was on WGR talking about the possibility that the Bills might fill their other needs this year and have the team in place they want for a rookie QB in 2014.

The 49ers were singing Hallelujah when Smith got hurt. They had their opening to make the change and did. Still got beat up a little over it but clearly they didn't make that decision based on a game or two with Colin. They had to have been thinking about that for a while. Look at Smith's numbers compared to Fitz's, the only thing he has over him is interceptions. If you don't like Fitz you would have disdain for Smith.

I still dont want Smith. I just dont think he is very good.

I'll be interested to see how many QBs go before the Bills pick. I could see anywhere from none to 3.

I read in an article quoting some NFL scout that its believe in NFL circle that the Bills are targeting Nassib, and are hoping to get him in the 2nd (thats an obvious assumption, who knows if its warranted). But the scout went on to say that teams know that if their team wants Nassib, they need to leapfrog Buffalo to get in front of them, and he said teams are preparring to do that.

Basically, I dont think there will be any QBs left by the time our 2nd round pick comes along.

The Bills must already know that Nassib is a backup QB at the NFL level. I've read this stuff could be a smoke screen by them. Marrone was the line coach on a Saints team who had Drew Brees. He has to know what it takes both physically and mentally. Nassib may be a hard worker, but there's nothing he can do about being slower than 12 offensive lineman in the combine. Or that out of the entire cast of defensive players at the combine he was only faster than 10 of them. You know, the guys that will be chasing him?

In his career, Barkley has -113 yards rushing the football. Think that had something to do with him not wanting to run the 40 yard dash? Ryan Nassib at least had 139 positive yards rushing and he was one of the slowest players at the combine.

I know that some fans of these two players will say, "hey, he's supposed to throw the football not run with it!". But consider that these defensive players will be waaay too fast for them to even get the pass off. That is, unless you have the mid-90s Cowboy offensive line.

I like two guys who I think have the traits you want in a franchise QB, Matt Scott and EJ Manuel. I'm very wary of Smith because of his subdued personality, but the guy obviously has the physical traits. If they picked Geno Smith, I would be at least happy they have the guy with the physical traits to play the position at an elite level. Nassib and Barkley are backups at best in the NFL.

Edited by 1billsfan

What happens if the Bills do not select a QB at all? Joe B was on WGR talking about the possibility that the Bills might fill their other needs this year and have the team in place they want for a rookie QB in 2014.

Well, then I would like a discounted price for my season ticket cost for 2013.

People have been saying that since Nix took over. This is the 4th straight offseason of "let's fill other needs first, then draft a QB next year" talk. For real, 4 straight years. (And yet, the other needs don't seem to be filled yet.) For that reason, plus the new front office structure/coaching regime, I think there's virtually no chance that the Bills don't draft a QB in rounds 1-3, and they'll probably draft one in round 1. I kind of think the most likely scenario is that they take a defensive player at #8, then immediately start trying to trade back into the first round for a QB. For the record, I do not like this approach. Like others, I think this is a really weak QB class, and drafting one in the 1st just because you're desperate is how you wind up with Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, or Jake Locker. If Jimmy Claussen had been drafted in the 1st round instead of the 2nd, the Panthers never would've drafted Cam Newton one year later. I'm comfortable with taking that chance with Geno Smith at #8, but beyond him, I say stay put and take whomever's left at #41. If we get lucky, awesome. If not, I really like Murray and Boyd next year.

I don't buy it. The Bills still could've drafted Russell Wilson, had they really wanted him. They missed the boat, plain and simple. As little as Graham has done, I'll still take him eight ways to Sunday over MeachBUM.

Thank You for a dose of reality.

The Bills were not looking to get Russell Wilson or they would have gotten him. They traded up to get TJ because they really wanted him. The "they were going to get Russell Wilson" theory is BS they feed to the fans to make you think that they aren't as inept as they are. The fact is they honestly felt Fitz was their guy they rewarded him accordingly. We have to be honest with ourselves, our front office rides the short school bus to the draft every year. They do a good job of justifying why we should not sign or resign players but we do an awful job of player evaluation for new talent and draft day strategy. It has been like this ever since Russ Brandon has been in a position of power. I expect no changes. The wheels on the bus go round and round......

Edited by VADC Bills

The Bills must already know that Nassib is a backup QB at the NFL level. I read this stuff could be a smoke screen by them. Marrone was the line coach on the a Saints team who had Drew Brees. He has to know what it takes both physically and mentally. Nassib may be a hard worker, but there's nothing he can do about being slower than 12 offensive lineman in the combine. Or that out of the entire cast of defensive players at the combine he was only faster than 10 of them. You know, the guys that will be chasing him?

In his career, Barkley has -113 yards rushing the football. Think that had something to do with him not wanting to run the 40 yard dash? Ryan Nassib at least had 139 positive yards rushing and he's was one of the slowest players at the combine.

I know that some fans of these two players will say, "hey, he's supposed to throw the football not run with it!". But consider that these defensive players will be waaay too fast for them to even get the pass off. That is, unless you have the mid-90s Cowboy offensive line.

I like two guys who I think have the traits you want in a franchise QB, Matt Scott and EJ Manuel. I'm very wary of Smith because of his subdued personality, but the guy obviously has the physical traits. If they picked Geno Smith, I would be at least happy they have the guy with the physical traits to play the position at an elite level. Nassib and Barkley are backups at best in the NFL.

Many great QBs were slower than Molasses. 40 times don't mean anything for a pocket passer. (not saying Nassib is any good, simply that I would not immediately discount him because he is slow. Joe Flacco just won a Superbowl and is the highest paid QB in the league and he would not outrun a glacier).

I find it hard to believe the cards would take Barkley over smith.... but if they do, hell, i'll take Geno over any of the others.

Well, Arizona did so well with the last USC QB they drafted in Leinart.