on Dan Patrick this morning A. Smith talk, G. Smith talk

yep. Rumors of the Bills interest in Spiller and Cordy Glenn were just draft smokescreens too.

Very true...Some good info does leak through no question...

But I am guessing that a ton of the Nassib rumors are coming from the obvious connection to his College Coaches...It's easy (and maybe even probable) speculation...Not sure how much actual truth is behind it...I do think there are (some) more talented QB's in this Draft...I think that's pretty obvious...I think Marrone and Hackett are Offensive guys that are going to be like kids in a candy store when they see the overall talents of QB's like Geno and EJ Manual...I think Coaches will always look at the positives first and assume they can build a system around the talent...I've always been of the mind that Marrone/Hackett will like other QB's in this Draft more than Nassib...I could be wrong for certain about that...We'll see... B-)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? And did he say specifically Barkley going to AZ? I don't care as much about Alex Smith because its over with, but Barkley to AZ interests me. The only thing I see here is a youtube clip Dan posted on twitter with Florio where they say that Fitz is done,Tavaris is under contract, and Matt Moore is an intriguing option for Buffalo. Was there something else I'm missing? I really want to believe this Barkley to AZ talk.

https://twitter.com/...980899494645761

Good link - thanks. Matt Moore. Wow. He was actually decent in 2011, but he doesn't seem like an answer to me at all.

I found the most interesting part of the DP interview was when Florio said Fitz is gone next Tuesday (as someone mentioned above). I'm assuming that means if he doesn't restructure. (?) DP seems to have a Buffalo connection for info rather it be Florio or Dungey.

For 2 second round picks, I am glad the Bills lost out.

For Aaron Williams and Troup? That price is too rich. We value our second round picks.

Matt Moore? Geez, did we even release Thigpen yet?

Edited by Mr. WEO

I enjoy reading peoples opinions,when there just regurgitating a talking head,and have MAYBE seen the prospect there dissing play 1 time.

I mean I feel like I learned something,maybe not about football, but definitely about the herd mentality that can run rampant on TBD,for let's say,oh 95 percent of the off season.

Edited by mob16151

1/2 the reason Fitz has to go is becuase he is an interception waiting to happen.

I think ASmith would be a nice gap for a year or two so the Bills wouldn't have to reach this year in an awful draft class of QB's.

What does being a stop gap mean. We have a QB now who can't get us to the playoffs. So we trade for another guy who can't? And if he can get us to the playoffs we should replace him? I'm confused.

PTR

What happens if the Bills do not select a QB at all? Joe B was on WGR talking about the possibility that the Bills might fill their other needs this year and have the team in place they want for a rookie QB in 2014.

If that were to happen, it might indicate he is ok with fitz... at least for a season or two.

Exactly. Nix is DESPERATE to get a QB. Typically when you are desperate like that you end up reaching. There's nothing scarier to fans than a GM that is desperate and has nothing to lose

Those two things don't go together. If Nix is desperate he has everything to lose by reaching and missing.

I think ARZ put out a Barkley smokescreen to protect against Buffalo swapping picks with Cleveland to select Geno. No way do I think they go with another USC QB after missing on Leinart. Then again, these are the ARZ Cardinals we're talking about...

Alex Smith was the best QB available. We wanted an athletic qb who is strong and experienced. A winner who is best at a west coast style offense and worth less than $ 10M a year. I would have given up a #2 for him. We want to win now and I admire the FO for trying. I don't think Barkeley who is the best west coast qb but is not super accurate or Geno Smith who is not a winner are the answer with our #1 pick. I would take either in round 2 but I would rather have Alex Smith before those two.

I would prefer Smith over Fitzpatrick and Jackson, then add another via the draft.

Did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? And did he say specifically Barkley going to AZ? I don't care as much about Alex Smith because its over with, but Barkley to AZ interests me. The only thing I see here is a youtube clip Dan posted on twitter with Florio where they say that Fitz is done,Tavaris is under contract, and Matt Moore is an intriguing option for Buffalo. Was there something else I'm missing? I really want to believe this Barkley to AZ talk.

https://twitter.com/...980899494645761

Thanks for the link.

QB Matt Moore, hrmmm buh bye fitz

I think ARZ put out a Barkley smokescreen to protect against Buffalo swapping picks with Cleveland to select Geno. No way do I think they go with another USC QB after missing on Leinart. Then again, these are the ARZ Cardinals we're talking about...

You're probably right on with this thinking. Barkley had -113 yards rushing in his four year career. That right there tells me he has feet of stone and this is at the collegiate level, can you imagine what very fast NFL defenders will do to him?

I think Barkley free falls to the end of the 1st round (someone trades up) and possibly into the second round. I refuse to believe that modern NFL evaluators think that a slow QB is worthy of a high first round pick. This isn't the 70s, 80s or even 90s. You need to actually have some speed to run away from very fast people in the modern NFL if you're a QB. BTW, if you bring up Joe Flacco, he probably runs the 40 yard dash a half second faster than Barkley. I can't wait for that 40 time at Barkley's pro day...LOL

Edited by 1billsfan

I've never been the biggest Barkley fan...But outside of the fact that they both went to USC, there is almost nothing about Barkley and Leinart's game that is similar...They are no where near being the same player...And while Barkley may not have all the tools necessary to be a great NFL QB, he's tough as nails...Just watch the tape of that Stanford game and tell me Barkley is not tough...Leinart on the other hand is pillow soft...So... B-)

Here is the problem with this...I hear this stuff all the time and its simply just not true. While fans label college QB's all the same that come from a school, scouts do not. Just because they took Leinart has no impact what so ever on their opinion of Barkely. There are not even similar QB's, they don't even play for the same staff.

Fans focus on this stuff and say things like "I will never take a USC QB" kind of stuff which is a ridiculous way to judge a prospect. Sure, some schools might be known for producing LB's or something, and they get that reputation because other top LB's want to go there because of that rep, so therefore they have a tendency to produce good NFL LB prospects. But a team does not write off a school because they drafted a guy of some position there, under a different staff on top of that, and he did not work out. Otherwise, no school would ever had a player drafted because they have ALL produced huge busts.

Now, they may very well be doing this as a smoke screen and secretly want Geno as you can never trust what teams think or say at this time of year. So, I could see that or any team doing that. But I disagree it has anything to do with Leinart if that is the case. FWIW, I believe their interest in Barkely is legit, and rightfully so as he is probably the best QB prospect in this draft. I prefer Geno, but those two are probably 1a and 1b really and it will come down to who fits the teams style.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The Bills must already know that Nassib is a backup QB at the NFL level. I've read this stuff could be a smoke screen by them. Marrone was the line coach on a Saints team who had Drew Brees. He has to know what it takes both physically and mentally. Nassib may be a hard worker, but there's nothing he can do about being slower than 12 offensive lineman in the combine. Or that out of the entire cast of defensive players at the combine he was only faster than 10 of them. You know, the guys that will be chasing him?

In his career, Barkley has -113 yards rushing the football. Think that had something to do with him not wanting to run the 40 yard dash? Ryan Nassib at least had 139 positive yards rushing and he was one of the slowest players at the combine.

I know that some fans of these two players will say, "hey, he's supposed to throw the football not run with it!". But consider that these defensive players will be waaay too fast for them to even get the pass off. That is, unless you have the mid-90s Cowboy offensive line.

I like two guys who I think have the traits you want in a franchise QB, Matt Scott and EJ Manuel. I'm very wary of Smith because of his subdued personality, but the guy obviously has the physical traits. If they picked Geno Smith, I would be at least happy they have the guy with the physical traits to play the position at an elite level. Nassib and Barkley are backups at best in the NFL.

seems to me that the only person on the team jim kelly could beat in a foot race was fred smerlas, and he did ok for himself. but the game, and the qb position have changed a bit since then.

Many great QBs were slower than Molasses. 40 times don't mean anything for a pocket passer. (not saying Nassib is any good, simply that I would not immediately discount him because he is slow. Joe Flacco just won a Superbowl and is the highest paid QB in the league and he would not outrun a glacier).

Most of the QBs who are or were statues were phenomenal throwers.

Barkley and Nassib are guys with average arms who also can't run.

Nassib can outrun Tom Brady (5.06 to 5.28 in the 40).

And who throws the nicer ball?

Like I've been saying, Barkley and Nassib better have some incredible intangibles because they're both physically underwhelming.

thanks for the link. There you guys go Florio says he thinks Fitz gets cut...phew one can only hope.

So LV did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? I didn't hear it in the video, but then again you said it happened before Florio was on. I can find any links anywhere on this.