on Dan Patrick this morning A. Smith talk, G. Smith talk

So LV did Dan actually say the bills were in on the Alex Smith deal? I didn't hear it in the video, but then again you said it happened before Florio was on. I can find any links anywhere on this.

What DP said was that the Bills were the ones that drove the price for smith up. He didn't cite a source of course but I imagine he has a good inside one. DP seems pretty connected.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would AZ choose to take another USC QB (not that I believe that that means Barkley is as bad as Leinart, but from a PR standpoint) over the consensus best QB in the draft? If anything we take Barkley because they took Smith.

I've never been the biggest Barkley fan...But outside of the fact that they both went to USC, there is almost nothing about Barkley and Leinart's game that is similar...They are no where near being the same player...And while Barkley may not have all the tools necessary to be a great NFL QB, he's tough as nails...Just watch the tape of that Stanford game and tell me Barkley is not tough...Leinart on the other hand is pillow soft...So... B-)

Understanding that you're not a big Barkley fan which I'm clearly not, it's interesting that you picked the Stanford game to show a possible positive aspect of Barkley. While I appreciate that the guy took his beating like a man, I think that game shows exactly why he will be a huge bust. Barkley will get killed in the NFL because he simply is not fast nor athletic enough for that level. I'd be shocked if NFL teams were as high on him as the NFL media and mock draft experts are. Let's compare the play in the Stanford games of Matt Barkley to Matt Scott who while he's a raw prospect, actually does have the speed and athletic ability to become a real starting NFL QB and possibly a star...

Matt Barkley vs Stanford -

20/41 254 0 TDs 2 INTs USC scored 14 Pts

Matt Scott vs Stanford -

45/69 491 3 TDs 1 INT Arizona scored 48 Pts

Edited by 1billsfan

For 2 second round picks, I am glad the Bills lost out.

Jesus, that's too high. He is a game manager, everything we dreamed Trent could be. His best season he averaged less than 200 yards per game. The guy will bounce around for a bit, then backup somewhere. He is the benefactor of a great D. The only thing he is required to do is not turn the ball over and convert 3 and 6 through the air. Most other yardage can be taken care of by Gore and the D can put up points

I am not a huge fan of this QB class but I would rather roll the dice with Barkley or Geno then trade 2 2nd's for A.Smith

I like Alex Smith and I am glad to hear that the Bills were in on him AND made it more difficult for the Chiefs to get him.

I know SF looks like they are building a powerhouse but I am not all too concerned about them right now, because the Bills need to stop being the punching bag of their division before they can even think about SF's window of contention. So, the idea that the Chiefs had to lose high picks - that's good, because the Bills compete with them for wild-card spots.

Only when we get to talking about the Niners moving those picks to another AFC team, particularly the Jets, do I get more concerned about this situation.

Here is the problem with this...I hear this stuff all the time and its simply just not true. While fans label college QB's all the same that come from a school, scouts do not. Just because they took Leinart has no impact what so ever on their opinion of Barkely. There are not even similar QB's, they don't even play for the same staff.

Fans focus on this stuff and say things like "I will never take a USC QB" kind of stuff which is a ridiculous way to judge a prospect. Sure, some schools might be known for producing LB's or something, and they get that reputation because other top LB's want to go there because of that rep, so therefore they have a tendency to produce good NFL LB prospects. But a team does not write off a school because they drafted a guy of some position there, under a different staff on top of that, and he did not work out. Otherwise, no school would ever had a player drafted because they have ALL produced huge busts.

Now, they may very well be doing this as a smoke screen and secretly want Geno as you can never trust what teams think or say at this time of year. So, I could see that or any team doing that. But I disagree it has anything to do with Leinart if that is the case. FWIW, I believe their interest in Barkely is legit, and rightfully so as he is probably the best QB prospect in this draft. I prefer Geno, but those two are probably 1a and 1b really and it will come down to who fits the teams style.

I do get that J.D. Booty, Mark Sanchez, Rob Johnson, or any other failed USC QB, doesn't mean that Matt Barkley will fail as well. They're all different people. However, some of these scouts do lump the failures of the past with the present, fair or not.

Two NFL scouts criticized USC QB Matt Brkley for not throwing at the Combine, saying, "Here we go again, another L.A. movie star quarterback who needs his own day to throw."

"And you wonder why guys from Southern California (are bad)?" a veteran team executive told Jason Cole of Yahoo!. "Everything is like they have to draw attention to themselves." The scouts were then told that Barkley is being held out of the Combine due to medical issues, one answered "I'm telling you, it's always [something] with guys from down there... not just USC, the whole area." Source: Yahoo! Sports Feb 20 - 9:51 AM

Understanding that you're not a big Barkley fan which I'm clearly not, it's interesting that you picked the Stanford game to show a possible positive aspect of Barkley. While I appreciate that the guy took his beating like a man, I think that game shows exactly why he will be a huge bust. Barkley will get killed in the NFL because he simply is not fast nor athletic enough for that level. I'd be shocked if NFL teams were as high on him as the NFL media and mock draft experts are. Let's compare the play in the Stanford games of Matt Barkley to Matt Scott who while he's a raw prospect, actually does have the speed and athletic ability to become a real starting NFL QB and possibly a star...

Matt Barkley vs Stanford -

20/41 254 0 TDs 2 INTs USC scored 14 Pts

Matt Scott vs Stanford -

45/69 491 3 TDs 1 INT Arizona scored 48 Pts

I chose the Stanford game only to point out Barkley's toughness...If you watch the game you will see Barkley get absolutely mangled...I mean...He gets hit, and hit hard on almost every pass play...But he keeps getting up and firing...It was not Barkley's best effort...But that game, IMHO, clearly showed he's a tough kid... B-)

What does being a stop gap mean. We have a QB now who can't get us to the playoffs. So we trade for another guy who can't? And if he can get us to the playoffs we should replace him? I'm confused.

PTR

That's the heart of the matter right there. But I've given up expecting your logic to penetrate a certain sector of blockheads on this site. You know the ones I mean, those who chirp up with "Fitz sucks, so get rid of him and sign a guy some other team believes sucks. And then let's draft a guy that the most knowledgeable talent evaluators believe will suck, and then the Bills will somehow magically have a franchise QB and win ten Super Bowls in a row."

Why are people speaking as if the Bills offered two 2nd rounders?

The rumored deal is that Kansas City gave up a 2nd rounder and a conditional mid-round pick that might be as high as a 3rd rounder.

If the Bills offered two 2nd rounders, you can be sure the Niners would have traded him to Buffalo.

The rumored deal is that Kansas City gave up a 2nd rounder and a conditional mid-round pick that might be as high as a 3rd rounder.

If the Bills offered two 2nd rounders, you can be sure the Niners would have traded him to Buffalo.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be. But lest we forget, they're not in need of draft picks (a) and may be the organization that drafted him, faced with two interchangeable offers, put the decision in AS's hands...

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be. But lest we forget, they're not in need of draft picks (a) and may be the organization that drafted him, faced with two interchangeable offers, put the decision in AS's hands...

I seriously doubt that because they're not interchangeable offers.

Joe Flacco (2008 NFL Combine) - 4.84

That's actually a passable number for an NFL QB especially one who's so tall with long arms and legs which buys you time.

Now the question should be whether Nassib or Barkley could outrun a glacier. Unfortunately, NFL teams don't put glaciers on their defense.

Who cares what Barkley's 40 time is. Running the football is not his style of play, he's a pocket QB that has good pocket awareness and can slide to buy time. Do you think Manning or Brady can outrun most defenders? No, and they don't need to. BTW, Barkley's negative rushing numbers are misleading (as are all rushing numbers for QB's in college) because the NCAA counts sack yardage as rushing yards, and he doesn't run all that much anyway.

I honestly didn't like him, but am slowly coming around after watching his games from 2011 and 2012 over the weekend. Just my opinion. Glad we didn't overpay for Alex Smith.

Lets not bring up unknown facts. It has to be 2 two's. (conditional picks always = a 2nd)

Thank goodness we didn't do that as AS sucks and isn't better than Fitz and would not have taken us to the playoffs. Maybe we should send the chiefs a big thank you letter. Afterall what does ANDY REID know about quaterbacking in the NFL?

Who cares what Barkley's 40 time is. Running the football is not his style of play, he's a pocket QB that has good pocket awareness and can slide to buy time. Do you think Manning or Brady can outrun most defenders? No, and they don't need to. BTW, Barkley's negative rushing numbers are misleading (as are all rushing numbers for QB's in college) because the NCAA counts sack yardage as rushing yards, and he doesn't run all that much anyway.

I honestly didn't like him, but am slowly coming around after watching his games from 2011 and 2012 over the weekend. Just my opinion. Glad we didn't overpay for Alex Smith.

Manning has a great arm. Brady has a great arm.

Alex Smith has an excellent arm.

Barkley appears to have an average at best arm.

A pocket passer with an average arm…hmmm...

Manning has a great arm. Brady has a great arm.

Alex Smith has an excellent arm.

Barkley appears to have an average at best arm.

A pocket passer with an average arm…hmmm...

Barkley has thrown for 12327yds and 116TDs in his four years at USC. That does not sound average to me.

Does anyone know how to insert code for a table. I can't seem to get it to work. When I try to insert html code using special BB code the content is displayed but not the table. I know the code is correct for html and displays well in a browser or an editor. Just doesn't work under the BB code command with html selected.

Edited by Rockinon

Barkley has thrown for 12327yds and 116TDs in his four years at USC. That does not sound average to me.

Neither of those speaks to arm strength. They might, or they might speak to the offense he ran, or the defenses he played against or a combination of the last two.