Chris Kelsay Announces retirement

mrags

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been a waste of a roster spot, held us hostage with his huge contract. Look I like nice guys but if they can't perform, cut them. Its a performance business and he sucked.

Do you really believe any player has the power to hold an NFL team hostage ? Bills needed a reliable option at DE. There were few choices so they took the less appetizing road of (over) paying for him. Can you really blame Kelsay for that ? By all means, he was a locker room and team guy - criticize his on-field ability but he did exactly what any player would have done from a contractual point of view

He has been a waste of a roster spot, held us hostage with his huge contract. Look I like nice guys but if they can't perform, cut them. Its a performance business and he sucked.

HUH?

Please do explain which FA or draft pick have the Bills not been able to sign because they are being held hostage? They went out and signed the biggest DE contract ever WHILE he was on the team...

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The other side of that same coin is that the Bills organization has sucked so bad that Kelsay was actually one of the better and most reliable players they had for (almost) his entire career. And, that is not his fault by any stretch.

The Pats, Dolphins, and Jets just ripped out the reverse, counter, and bootleg pages from their playbooks! hahahaha.

Kelsay was never very good. He never learned to keep backside contain. I even remember one interview where Kelsay admitted he was only a ~6 sack a year guy but thats OK because the Bills only expected that out of him.

That said, he would have been viewed in a positive light by fans if he was paid even remotely what he was worth. I think he retired bc he was going to get cut. But I wish Kelsay the best of luck, he was alwasy a model citizen and its not his fault the Bills thought he was a stud.

I could never hate the guy despite how the team tried to get me to with that crazy contract.

He was a solid player and good guy who never took plays off. I never had anything personal against him, but the Bills WAY overpaid. Not his fault. I mean, if your employer comes in and offers you too much money, you'd be a total idiot to say no.

PS: Does this lose cause the Bills to focus more on a DE in the draft? I think Ansah is a total stud in the making, the Jorden guy and Bjorge howeveryouspellit are all pretty darn good too.

Id rather see that than OL or DB or WR

I could see Hunt from SMU in the 2nd or 3rd round. Guy was a stud at the combine, and showed flashes of greatness in games. I think he could dominate some one on one situations he will get with Mario taking up double teams.

In Kelsay's interview he mentioned one considetation that hit a nerve with me... the part about having to adapt to another coaching staff and having to prove himself over snd over.

He's been through 4 different head coaches in 10 years, 5 if you count Fewell and the best season he's seen is 9 wins and even that one ended on a sour note. I know it sucked as a fan, but damn, that has to eat on you as a player... especially putting your body through that.

I can see why Levitre and Byrd after 4 years in Buffalo, and potentially for them looking at their third head coach, would like to explore other options. If you believe you've been on a path to nowhere, and entering your prime, you can't blame them for looking to get off that treadmill.

In Kelsay's interview he mentioned one considetation that hit a nerve with me... the part about having to adapt to another coaching staff and having to prove himself over snd over.

He's been through 4 different head coaches in 10 years, 5 if you count Fewell and the best season he's seen is 9 wins and even that one ended on a sour note. I know it sucked as a fan, but damn, that has to eat on you as a player... especially putting your body through that.

I can see why Levitre and Byrd after 4 years in Buffalo, and potentially for them looking at their third head coach, would like to explore other options. If you believe you've been on a path to nowhere, and entering your prime, you can't blame them for looking to get off that treadmill.

As a player, dont you always have to prove yourself in order to get playing time?

CBF

This post will probably wind up being mocked, and perhaps deleted, but the level of douchebaggery among so-called "fans" in this thread is absolutely astounding.

-- Kelsay never "hamstrung" the Bills with any contract or held them hostage, and never prevented them from signing a single player

-- He never complained, despite being asked to play out of position

-- He was productive (although not at the All-Pro level some apparently expected); his statistics over the course of his career are remarkably consistent (i.e., he was dependable), until injuries began to take their toll the last two years

-- He was a great representative for the Bills and typified a "blue collar" mentality the area and fans are supposedly known for

The fact that idiots on a message board hurl the sort of insults they have at Kelsay is quite pathetic. I guarantee you any playoff team over the past decade would have loved to have Kelsay in their DL rotation.

Peace out.

Edited by eball

Many have questioned his talent but Kelsay gave his all, was a key contributor and leader, and a class act. Thanks and best of luck to him.

This post will probably wind up being mocked, and perhaps deleted, but the level of douchebaggery among so-called "fans" in this thread is absolutely astounding.

-- Kelsay never "hamstrung" the Bills with any contract or held them hostage, and never prevented them from signing a single player

-- He was productive (although not at the All-Pro level some apparently expected); his statistics over the course of his career are remarkably consistent (i.e., he was dependable), until injuries began to take their toll the last two years

-- He was a great representative for the Bills and typlified a "blue collar" mentality the area and fans are supposedly known for

The fact that idiots on a message board hurl the sort of insults they have at Kelsay is quite pathetic. I guarantee you any playoff team over the past decade would have loved to have Kelsay in their DL rotation.

Peace out.

Well said.

I'd feel a lot better knowing they were going to cut him anyway. Everyone here is assuming as much and I guess that is the logical conclusion but he was supposed to have been cut by a couple of new regimes previously. After some puzzling moves already (Nelson, Barnett), I'm skeptical.

Everyone is NOT assuming as much. You are very weakly trying to impose your view on what others are thinking.

The same thing was said that Kelsey was going to be cut with each change and each time he showed up in camp and worked. When front office did not agree the Fantasy GMs said they should do they made idiotic comments about what pictures Kelsey had of front office personnel, Ralph, coaches, etc.

-- He was a great representative for the Bills and typlified a "blue collar" mentality the area and fans are supposedly known for

Peace out.

Thank you.

Everyone is NOT assuming as much. You are very weakly trying to impose your view on what others are thinking.

The same thing was said that Kelsey was going to be cut with each change and each time he showed up in camp and worked. When front office did not agree the Fantasy GMs said they should do they made idiotic comments about what pictures Kelsey had of front office personnel, Ralph, coaches, etc.

Sorry Chris!

As a player, dont you always have to prove yourself in order to get playing time?

CBF

Yes, but he didn't mean it that way. His head coach knows what his capabilities, character, value. A head coach doesn't presume from season to season that everyone starts from scratch. His staff reviews the season and grades them out and make recommendations. Obviously, through 4 coaches and 3 GMs and holding down a starting position in 9 of 10 seasons he would have a point.