Chris Kelsay Announces retirement

mrags

And he (Lindell) may not be out of the woods yet...He very well could be replaced by a cheaper option before/after training camp

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be, he's pretty darned reliable at a position that doesn't allow much wiggle room.

Here's my Kelsay-retiring summary:

Kelsay was an honorable, hardworking, dedicated man.

He couldn't read a misdirection for ****.

Kelsay survived four regime changes, becoming a role model and leader in each of the last two.

He couldn't make a backfield, open field tackle for ****.

Kelsay was IR'd with neck injury--sheesh.

He was slower than ****.

Kelsay announced his retirement through an official statement that went through the Buffalo Bills organization. He then did a sit-down video interview that was pumped through the organization's communication channels, along with a "through the years" photo gallery.

That's all bull ****. Classy bull ****, but bull ****, nonetheless. But, it gave him a chance to ride into the Buffalo sunset, and good for him, I wish him well.

Meanwhile, how did the alternative workout for his ten-year defensive teammate Terrence McGee? McGee was let go with little-to-no fanfare or pageantry, and remains out of work.

I won't tell you what did or did not happen at OBD, because we only have the evidence above to substantiate any claim, but do the math. He wasn't forced into retirement, but you're kidding yourself if you think it was a one way conversation--Chris to OBD.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be, he's pretty darned reliable at a position that doesn't allow much wiggle room.

Kelsay survived four regime changes, becoming a role model and leader in each of the last two.

He was slower than ****.

Kelsay announced his retirement through an official statement that went through the Buffalo Bills organization. He then did a sit-down video interview that was pumped through the organization's communication channels, along with a "through the years" photo gallery.

That's all bull ****. Classy bull ****, but bull ****, nonetheless. But, it gave him a chance to ride into the Buffalo sunset, and good for him, I wish him well.

Meanwhile, how did the alternative workout for his ten-year defensive teammate Terrence McGee? McGee was let go with little-to-no fanfare or pageantry, and remains out of work.

I won't tell you what did or did not happen at OBD, because we only have the evidence above to substantiate any claim, but do the math. He wasn't forced into retirement, but you're kidding yourself if you think it was a one way conversation--Chris to OBD.

Your point about McGee is the most telling. I think it's probably a good bit softer than "Chris, we're planning on cutting you." I suspect it's something more like, "we recognize your service, but given your injuries and the new system, no roster spot is a given, including yours."

OTOH, Kelsay has been a lot more durable than McGee, and while McGee gave all he had it's clear they can't depend on him. I tend to agree that there were things the Bills shouldn't have been depending on Kelsay for, but he was at least available. It's too bad. McGee was clearly a more useful player, when healthy. I'd love to see it work out for him wherever he ends up. SF could probably use him.

Is that back-handed enough? ;)

Your point about McGee is the most telling. I think it's probably a good bit softer than "Chris, we're planning on cutting you." I suspect it's something more like, "we recognize your service, but given your injuries and the new system, no roster spot is a given, including yours."

OTOH, Kelsay has been a lot more durable than McGee, and while McGee gave all he had it's clear they can't depend on him. I tend to agree that there were things the Bills shouldn't have been depending on Kelsay for, but he was at least available. It's too bad. McGee was clearly a more useful player, when healthy. I'd love to see it work out for him wherever he ends up. SF could probably use him.

Is that back-handed enough? ;)

I would be SHOCKED if Terrence McGee is on an NFL roster come week 6 of 2013. He had 10 solid years, why not hang it up honorably a la Chris?

He was slower than ****.

Thats an excellent point

McGee did not retire...He wants to still play in the NFL. I think there is a big difference. May be when McGee eventually retires, they will do the ceremonial sign-and-retire and do all the stuff you described.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be, he's (Lindell) pretty darned reliable at a position that doesn't allow much wiggle room.

I think with this regime, nothing is guaranteed. If a rookie does outplay Lindell in training camp, I think Lindell may get cut. After all, even last years lousy regime cut Moorman during the season. If cutting Lindell saves money and a younger player, I see this group taking it that way.

McGee did not retire...He wants to still play in the NFL. I think there is a big difference. May be when McGee eventually retires, they will do the ceremonial sign-and-retire and do all the stuff you described.

I think with this regime, nothing is guaranteed. If a rookie does outplay Lindell in training camp, I think Lindell may get cut. After all, even last years lousy regime cut Moorman during the season. If cutting Lindell saves money and a younger player, I see this group taking it that way.

Yeah, I just don't know if training camp conditions are an ample predictor for game success, as far as kickers go.

As for McGee, I understand he doesn't want to retire, but on those bum wheels (his money makers), he really should. Drafted a Bill, ten miserable years in Bills service, oft injured and well beyond his prime. Aside from a little bit of coin, why wouldn't you leave with the guy who brought ya and retire a Bill.

Edited by taC giB ehT

Aside from a little bit of coin, why wouldn't you leave with the guy who brought ya and retire a Bill.

That "little bit of coin" could easily be more than the average person makes in a lifetime. Also, maybe the guy wants to feel what it would be like to suit up for a playoff game.

That "little bit of coin" could easily be more than the average person makes in a lifetime. Also, maybe the guy wants to feel what it would be like to suit up for a playoff game.

You really think those knees will get him through a training camp, four preseason games and an entire regular season so he can live that dream?

Now THAT'S optimism.

You really think those knees will get him through a training camp, four preseason games and an entire regular season so he can live that dream?

Now THAT'S optimism.

He just needs the Reggie White "Miracle" to happen on his knees!

Yeah, I just don't know if training camp conditions are an ample predictor for game success, as far as kickers go.

As for McGee, I understand he doesn't want to retire, but on those bum wheels (his money makers), he really should. Drafted a Bill, ten miserable years in Bills service, oft injured and well beyond his prime. Aside from a little bit of coin, why wouldn't you leave with the guy who brought ya and retire a Bill.

My feeling is that if the competition can be consistent in training camp and pre-season, this staff may take the risk. Anyways who knows...It is time for us to enjoy the off season.

He just needs the Reggie White "Miracle" to happen on his knees!

Yeah, and I'd like to reel it in a bit, because I was always a big TMcGee fan.

George Wilson was also a product of the organization--converted practice squad WR, started for--what?--six seasons? But he found himself a job right away, not surprising.

Barnett had two medicore years of service, so I don't care about him.

But TMcGee also didn't fit into our future plans, and I would have liked to have seen him get the sendoff that Kelsay did. I was always a big fan, would have liked to have seen him get his props. Who knows, perhaps in three weeks, he'll retire and the Bills will do it then. But he deserved to be celebrated more than Kelsay, IMO. And I think he's a tad foolish for believing something better will come along.

Yeah, and I'd like to reel it in a bit, because I was always a big TMcGee fan.

George Wilson was also a product of the organization--converted practice squad WR, started for--what?--six seasons? But he found himself a job right away, not surprising.

Barnett had two medicore years of service, so I don't care about him.

But TMcGee also didn't fit into our future plans, and I would have liked to have seen him get the sendoff that Kelsay did. I was always a big fan, would have liked to have seen him get his props. Who knows, perhaps in three weeks, he'll retire and the Bills will do it then. But he deserved to be celebrated more than Kelsay, IMO. And I think he's a tad foolish for believing something better will come along.

McGee did not get the benefit of two big contracts from the Buffalo Bills as Kelsay received. May be McGee is looking for that one contract that will also pay him to be on par with Kelsay!!!

Now THAT'S optimism.

Well I never said they could, I was just explaining the reasons why a player might choose not to hang it up after spending the last decade here. And I'm certain any team will first have him examined by a physician, who can no doubt assess the condition of his knees better than you or I.