Tyler Bray - QB - Tennessee

Here's your choices at QB

1st rd Geno Smith best combination of ceiling and floor, good odds of a QB who probably won't put a team on his back and carry a team to the SB but like Flacco good enough to get a talented team to the SB

2nd rd Manuel even more upside than Geno Smith but more downside too- poor man's Cam Newton, close but slightly inferior to Newton in most combine tests - on the plus side he has longer arms and bigger hands and from interviews is more intelligent than Newton - it would be nice though if he had a little more of Newton's swagger

3rd rd Bray some of the prettiest throws I've ever seen and some of the worst throws I've ever seen - if he had his best moments 75-80% of the time instead of 45-50% of the time and Bray could be a top 5 QB- religion? meditation? Adderall? if someone could fix what's upstairs this kid could be great but more likely out of the NFL in 3 years.

Without question, Flacco carried that team to the SB. You should go back and take a look.

All of the descriptions of this kind remind me of Jim Kelly when he first got here. Great player.

Is anyone saying Bray is a "great player"?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make a strong argument.

Some of these guys shake themselves.

Numerous people here point to Jim Kelly as a person who was most likely a Class I, A-hole who reformed himself.

But your point is well taken.

But Kelly also joined the Bills as a Mature player after a couple of years with the Gamblers.

But Kelly also joined the Bills as a Mature player after a couple of years with the Gamblers.

He was still a dick... then after a few years on the Bills he changed.

NFN the "bickering Bills" incident in 1989 Kelly slamming his O line after he injured his shoulder( Howard Ballard). Then Thurman Thomas ripped Kelly for ripping Ballard. WR Chris Burkett whining about losing his starting job after a fight with Kelly on the sidelines, then the Bills cut him. Ram player and former Bills RB Greg Bell calling the Bills rednecks and saying Marv Levy was a con artist. From 12-4 in 88 to 9-7 in 89.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/20/2228738/bickering-bills

THEN, during the 4th QTR of a 30-7 whooping by the Dolphins in week 2 of the 1990 season . Marv pulled (when the game was out of hand) several defensive starters and all hell broke lose. Bruce Smith kicked over the Gatorade table, Nate Odems throwing chairs. So Marv fined several players and set a stern warning that this type of prima donna behavior was not going to be tolerated.

MR Wilson then publicly backed Marv Levy by stating any player that doesn't listen to the head coach will be traded or released. They all fell into line after that, and the Super Bowls are the result. IMO Marv really garnered ALL the players respect after this, and the attitudes of the players changed greatly.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/20/sports/bills-are-bickering-in-mid-season-form.html

Is that really his tattoo? If so, I'm officially off the Tyler Bray bandwagon. Which I've been on. And I agree with you, but I was never aware of Losman being a douche (he seemed a little cheesy but harmless). I always thought he was a pretty nice guy. Where are you getting this from? All indications are that Bray is a dick. Cutler is obviously a dick. Not sure it's fair to put Losman in that category.

Losman was just a different kind of guy. He came in real cocky and no veteran wants that from a rookie. And he was just kinda of a different guy who really never meshed with his teammates. The only guy he really hung out with on the team was Evans. No one in that lockerroom was going to war for him though.

Tom Brady is King of the Douches. Just saying.

Brady had the attitude of a 6th round pick who lost his starting job in college. He may be a douche now but the guy worked his tail off to make it and gained the respect of the lockerroom.

You make a strong argument.

Some of these guys shake themselves.

Numerous people here point to Jim Kelly as a person who was most likely a Class I, A-hole who reformed himself.

But your point is well taken.

It's definitely a fine line. Big Ben was a douche off the field but he gained his teammates respect. Kelly had his moments as a jerk for the Bills but he had the respect of most of that lockerroom. But a cocky kid who wasn't that great in college doesn't go over well.

• 1 month later...

@AdamSchefter 1m

A Bills contingent including their HC, GM, asst GM, Pres are scheduled to work out Tennessee QB Tyler Bray in Knoxville, next Sat.

I'm ok with this and happy they are looking at all options, but unlike the combine where Russ was there to shmooze with other owners, Presidents and agents....why is Russ going to workouts??

Maybe they have good Bar-B-Q in Knoxville??

I'm ok with this and happy they are looking at all options, but unlike the combine where Russ was there to shmooze with other owners, Presidents and agents....why is Russ going to workouts??

Maybe they have good Bar-B-Q in Knoxville??

Because he can. He is the man in charge. Bills are likely going to select their QB of the future in about 4 weeks. I'd say that's a big decision to make...especially considering the pundits/scouts are said to not have a cear cut favorite.

Is there a reason you believe he should not be there?

Pros: highest upside of any QB in the draft. He's like a far more mobile Ryan Mallett.

Cons: his tattoo

In all seriousness, I've been in favor of the two Tylers all along. I like the veteran leadership and toughness that I see in Wilson and I like the sheer natural talent of Bray. Those are the two guys at the top of my list.

8. Tyler Bray - QB Tennessee, 6-5.3, 232...Has ideal height for a quarterback and has a cannon for an arm...throws a really nice deep ball...flashes stretches of touch and accuracy and can be tough to defend when he's in a groove, but can also be wildly inaccurate at times as well...has just enough mobility to slide in the pocket but isn't very mobile...trusts his arm too much which has led to interceptions...would rather force the ball to make a play than take a sack...is at his best with a clean pocket and time to setup and throw...got into trouble last offseason for breaking a windshield with golf balls and beer bottles, but wasn't charged and was also involved in a Jet Ski boating incident two weeks later....All in all - Bray is an intriguing prospect because he looks like a first round pick at times, but too often he looks like an undrafted free agent as well and his character must be checked. He would have benefited greatly by staying in school for another year to hone his skills...Reminds me a bit of former BYU and Oakland Raiders QB Marc Wilson, but will more talent....He's a third to fourth round draft pick due to the questionmarks on and off the field, but has the potential to develop into a starting quarterback because of his arm talent and upside. *Scouting report posted 02/08 and updated 03/18.

Because he can. He is the man in charge. Bills are likely going to select their QB of the future in about 4 weeks. I'd say that's a big decision to make...especially considering the pundits/scouts are said to not have a cear cut favorite.

No reason he should not be there, but he was quite candid that he did not see himself as an evaluator of football talent. If this is a workout, cap numbers and salaries are not in the discussion; a workout (in my opinion) means throwing, running, questions on defensive reads, etc. If Russ can contribute to this workout evaluation, have at it.

Pros: highest upside of any QB in the draft. He's like a far more mobile Ryan Mallett.

Cons: his tattoo

In all seriousness, I've been in favor of the two Tylers all along. I like the veteran leadership and toughness that I see in Wilson and I like the sheer natural talent of Bray. Those are the two guys at the top of my list.

While I agree that Bray has a better ceiling then many QB's in this Draft...I don't think he's got the most upside...I think that distinction lies with Manuel or Geno...Flip a coin...Both have arm talent and are very athletic...

I like Bray's upside potential...I have been thinking for a long time that there are 4 QB's in this Draft that I would prefer for the Bills...Geno, Manuel, Scott, and Bray...The rest don't do a lot for me...But in this bunch who knows?... B-)

I like Bray's upside potential...I have been thinking for a long time that there are 4 QB's in this Draft that I would prefer for the Bills...Geno, Manuel, Scott, and Bray...The rest don't do a lot for me...But in this bunch who knows?... B-)

I like either Scott or Bray if either is still there in the 4th as developmental QBs. Not as options we would expect to be starting QBs this year though.

Damn good post Chief. That is spot on.

No reason he should not be there, but he was quite candid that he did not see himself as an evaluator of football talent. If this is a workout, cap numbers and salaries are not in the discussion; a workout (in my opinion) means throwing, running, questions on defensive reads, etc. If Russ can contribute to this workout evaluation, have at it.

He may not be there to evaluate talent. He may be there for many reasons...

1 - Learning

2 - Meet and greet with UT folks

3- Get his own sense of Bray's character. ( one doesn't need to be a football scout to see that)

4 - showing his own passion and supporting his football guys.

5 - Trusting his guys but ensuring they're on track and following up on the process that has been layed out