Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

Rubes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN story: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source. cites John Clayton and Jay Glazer, Fox Sports that KC traded for Smith but details can not be released until the start of the league year, 12 March. They will likely franchise Bowe and draft Joekel. Neither players effect the Bills draft.

Great news for us! A QB will fall to the Bills, now. Either Barkley or Geno. I'd take either one. If the Bills don't use their first rounder on a QB I'd like to take EJ in the second. In the third I'd take Bray.

Not sure this is really great news for Buffalo.

Arizona would have been "better," since KC wasn't going to use the no. 1 overall on a QB.

You think?

Reid loves Qb's. He got Mcnabb in his first draft, a selection the Eagles fans hated at first.

Reid believes, as well he should, he can take a QB and make him great or good depending on wht he has to work with.

Reid had way more to look at and know what he was getting in Smith. This is not good for the Bills because it means a bad team in the AFC just got better.

Not sure this is really great news for Buffalo.

Arizona would have been "better," since KC wasn't going to use the no. 1 overall on a QB.

Well now we don't have to worry about them grabbing one in the second round either.

Either way, as long as its not Buffalo that's great news for us.

Great trade for two teams: Buffalo and San Fran. He wouldn't be much of an upgrade over Fitz. Bad trade for KC long term. They gave up two premium picks looking for short term improvement.

Football guys confirms trade to KC at 1:19 today in email

I earlier said nothing is confirmed til papers are filed but I'd be amazed if anyone tops this. I imagine both sides wanted this kept quiet to avoid this very reaction. Puts pressure on kc to back off the offer a bit possibly.

ESPN story: http://espn.go.com/n...y-chiefs-source. cites John Clayton and Jay Glazer, Fox Sports that KC traded for Smith but details can not be released until the start of the league year, 12 March. They will likely franchise Bowe and draft Joekel. Neither players effect the Bills draft.

So what do you think SF got for Smith? A 2d? A 3d and a 5th?

Those are numbers in a vacuum. Fitzpatrick cannot complete 70% of his passes in his dreams. Smith did this past year. And Smith didn't just throw fewer interceptions. He threw 29 fewer interceptions in 2011-12. Even if you prorate Smith's stats out to 16 games in 2012, Fitz still would have thrown 25 more INTs over the past two years. That is A LOT of giving away the ball.

If you want, you can claim that Fitz's team was down more often, and he had to try to make things happen, but then you have to view his yardage and TDs totals through that same "garbage time" lens.

I don't see how they are close given their performances over the past two years. Fitz has had 5-8 games of great play, buffered by turns of mediocrity and, at times, pure disaster. Smith looked the part of a caretaker last year, came into his own in the playoffs, was improving this season, then lost his job to injury.

Over their careers, yes, the numbers look similar, but I look at the trajectory.

Not an argument for Fitz at all, but I think Smith is a slight upgrade at best over Fitz. Fitz can't throw deep, guess what Smith's biggest flaw is? Smith played on a team with the #1 defense and top 10 picks at wr and te. Harbaugh is an amazing QB coach and the 49ers run the ball on 3rd and long yardage all the time. A ton of QBs would succeed in that situation. The Bills situation has been much, much worse. If Smith was the Bills' QB, he would have been run out of town like we're running Fitz out of town.

I think the Chiefs gave up way too much but they are in a win now mode. But all in all, I'm glad they did because it increases the chances of Barkley or Smith falling.

Not an argument for Fitz at all, but I think Smith is a slight upgrade at best over Fitz. Fitz can't throw deep, guess what Smith's biggest flaw is? Smith played on a team with the #1 defense and top 10 picks at wr and te. Harbaugh is an amazing QB coach and the 49ers run the ball on 3rd and long yardage all the time. A ton of QBs would succeed in that situation. The Bills situation has been much, much worse. If Smith was the Bills' QB, he would have been run out of town like we're running Fitz out of town.

I think the Chiefs gave up way too much but they are in a win now mode. But all in all, I'm glad they did because it increases the chances of Barkley or Smith falling.

Ooooof ... Still trying to wrap my head around Smith being a slight upgrade over Fitz.

But be that as it may, if KC is in a win now mode, what mode are the Bills in after the last 13 years of sucking?

You think?

Reid loves Qb's. He got Mcnabb in his first draft, a selection the Eagles fans hated at first.

Reid believes, as well he should, he can take a QB and make him great or good depending on wht he has to work with.

Reid had way more to look at and know what he was getting in Smith. This is not good for the Bills because it means a bad team in the AFC just got better.

That's some bold speculation, but it's not completely unfounded.

well, it'll be one less team who'll take a QB in the 2nd round if we wait that long...i think it's good, not the best..but good.

Agreed.

Question will be what, if anything, we'll give up to get Geno. If he makes it past Philly maybe we start calling?

LORD knows.

Well now we don't have to worry about them grabbing one in the second round either.

Excellent point.

Everyone should read Tim Graham's article about the Niners' 15 picks...sounds like they don't plan to use them all.