Alex Smith traded to Chiefs

Rubes

i wouldnt hate the bills getting him...

AS LONG AS THEY STILL SEEK A YOUNG QB VIA THE DRAFT

smith is not a long term solution and is a very mediocre nfl quarterback, but he's at least better than fitzpatrick

but i can't see them giving away draft picks to get smith and then also taking a highly rated qb prospect

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt hate the bills getting him...

AS LONG AS THEY STILL SEEK A YOUNG QB VIA THE DRAFT

smith is not a long term solution and is a very mediocre nfl quarterback, but he's at least better than fitzpatrick

but i can't see them giving away draft picks to get smith and then also taking a highly rated qb prospect

I'm with you. It seems like anybody ever being let go by a team (Wes Welker, etc.) gets a reaction here of not the Bills!...........Why not Smith. He's got to be way better than Fitz.

didnt see this posted yet...

this yahoo report is saying that it is likely the Chiefs:

The interested team is not yet known, though Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com says that from everything he's heard around the scouting combine this week, the Kansas City Chiefs have a deal for Smith that is "all but done."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reports-trade-alex-smith-san-francisco-done-004247921--nfl.html

I'm with you. It seems like anybody ever being let go by a team (Wes Welker, etc.) gets a reaction here of not the Bills!...........Why not Smith. He's got to be way better than Fitz.

Well, let's think about this...

Why they would trade for him - Smith seemed to get it once Harbaugh showed up and only lost his job due to injury, so I wouldn't be worried about his abilities or confidence. If Marrone & Hackett are running a west coast style offense, then Smith would fit in well with this. Not saying he's the next Jim Kelly, but we'd expect the QB situation to be settled for now and see what they can do with him. With some of the talent on this team, it's not unreasonable to think the Bills would go get some more talent to fill the holes and hope to win now.

Why they wouldn't trade for him - the Bills still have Fitz & T-Jax on the roster. Unless they plan on cutting Fitz, trading for Alex Smith wouldn't make any sense. They'd essentially have three marginal starters or a starter (Smith) and two #2 QBs, assuming Tyler Thigpen is gone, too. That's a lot to keep on the roster. Plus, it would make more sense for Marrone to go with a younger QB that he can develop.

Kansas City makes the most sense in this. Throw Smith in with Andy Reid and they've solved their QB issue for now. Plus, I agree San Fran wouldn't trade him within the division (Arizona) without asking for a ton in return.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Well, let's think about this...

Why they would trade for him - Smith seemed to get it once Harbaugh showed up and only lost his job due to injury, so I wouldn't be worried about his abilities or confidence. If Marrone & Hackett are running a west coast style offense, then Smith would fit in well with this. Not saying he's the next Jim Kelly, but we'd expect the QB situation to be settled for now and see what they can do with him. With some of the talent on this team, it's not unreasonable to think the Bills would go get some more talent to fill the holes and hope to win now.

Why they wouldn't trade for him - the Bills still have Fitz & T-Jax on the roster. Unless they plan on cutting Fitz, trading for Alex Smith wouldn't make any sense. They'd essentially have three marginal starters or a starter (Smith) and two #2 QBs, assuming Tyler Thigpen is gone, too. That's a lot to keep on the roster. Plus, it would make more sense for Marrone to go with a younger QB that he can develop.

Kansas City makes the most sense in this. Throw Smith in with Andy Reid and they've solved their QB issue for now. Plus, I agree San Fran wouldn't trade him within the division (Arizona) without asking for a ton in return.

I'm going with Paragraph 1. Get rid of Fitz. Problem solved.

Once again I shall repeat myself.. Its either the K chiefs or the A cardinals..... To me its obvious chiefs have express interest in trading down that means there not sold on geno....so by trading for Alex smith they can now stay at #1 and Draft Luke joekel..

I have a feeling that they are giving up that number one draft choice to get Smith. Joeckel may just be another magnificent offensive lineman in the 49er stable.

I have a feeling that they are giving up that number one draft choice to get Smith. Joeckel may just be another magnificent offensive lineman in the 49er stable.

No way in hell it's the 1st overall pick. I'd bet my life on it.

Lol at 1st overall pick. There's no way. It is probably their 2nd round pick which would be an amazing deal for SF to get 2 draft picks almost back to back like that. If there are 2 guys they like at the end of the 1st they can pick the one guy knowing their other guy might still be there assuming Bal or Jax doesn't grab them

Stranger things have happened. Imagine Jacksonville and some other team in a bidding war for Smith. Holmgren knows he has to perform right out of the box and the best qb -draft, free agency or trade-by far is Smith. I can't imagine that the 49ers wouldn't go for the gusto in that situation. Well...let's just wait and see. I think it will be a one or a two.

I think Arizona. They desperately need a QB, even more than KC, given that their best player is worthless without a QB who can play. Smith would put up huge numbers throwing the ball to Fitzgerald. I see KC taking Barkley. Although AZ is in San Fran's division, and they would want a ton in return, and the KC rumors are strong. So, perhaps KC. I have no freaking clue.

Edited by RyanC883