Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

[/size]

Simple. You don't add a gold plated 3-d projection entertainment system to a house with no roof or furnace....

An offensive playmaker is not a "luxury." Its a necessity in today's pass-oriented NFL. Everything is second to getting a good QB, obviously, but the days of "build a superstar OL to win" are long gone. The Bills have a decent OL, good enough to win with. What we don't have is a QB, or anyone in the passing game that scares opposing teams outside of Stevie.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This pik would be very similar to the Spiller pick. Cupboard is just as bare, new coaching staff implementing a new offense, glaring holes on defense as they transition to a new defensive scheme. The circumstances are near-identical. I guess I could see Nix doing this, since he did it once before.

By the way the Vikings had an offense that featured AP and Harvin, and didn't do much...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I can see that...Thing is giving up picks when you only have 6 to start with, and more needs than picks, kinda makes me cringe...But if they really hit on the first 4 players they Drafted it would be OK I guess...I just want more picks...Not less...If they were to trade back in the 1st, and somehow come away with Austin and EJ Manuel with the first two picks...I would be very happy...Easier said than done though...Right? :D

I was just speaking in hypotheticals. I do want a QB at #8, preferrably Geno or EJ. I want nothing to do with Nassib, but am so scared these guys are going to make the lazy homer pick and take him at #8.

This morning, Zach Quinn said that Nate Hackett wants an explosive offense, and that he likes Tavon Austin. Quinn isn't the best source, but I've read other sources with the same story:

I tried a simulation to see if the Bills could afford to take a "waterbug" slot receiver early. A trade with New Orleans gets it done, as the Saints want their OLB34 of choice, Jarvis Jones:

1 15 Buffalo Tavon Austin WRS West Virginia

2 41 Buffalo Khaseem Greene OLB43 Rutgers

3 71 Buffalo Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

3 75 Buffalo Robert Woods WRF USC

4 105 Buffalo William Campbell DE34 Michigan

5 143 Buffalo Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

6 177 Buffalo Oday Aboushi OT Virginia

I love the idea of the Bills trading down, but WRS (speed receiver, slot WR) is more likely Stevie in the slot and putting a WRF (feature receiver) out wide that high-points the ball, gets open, and makes catches while covered (this is Hopkins and Woods, not Patterson or Austin). WR is deep in this class; other positions are not, and shouldn't be our RD1 pick. In the draft above, substitute "Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia" at 15 and "Josh Boyce WRF TCU" at 143, and we're a much stronger team.

Only an extra 3rd for 8 spots? NO WAY is that enough.

I was just speaking in hypotheticals. I do want a QB at #8, preferrably Geno or EJ. I want nothing to do with Nassib, but am so scared these guys are going to make the lazy homer pick and take him at #8.

Agreed...I would not be OK with Nassib at #8 overall whatsoever...Especially because I like Manuel a LOT more than Nassib...Especially when projecting 2-3 years down the road... B-)

An offensive playmaker is not a "luxury." Its a necessity in today's pass-oriented NFL. Everything is second to getting a good QB, obviously, but the days of "build a superstar OL to win" are long gone. The Bills have a decent OL, good enough to win with. What we don't have is a QB, or anyone in the passing game that scares opposing teams outside of Stevie.

This x1000

An offensive playmaker is not a "luxury."

No it's not. But hanging your shingle on a 174-pound WR is a LOT of risk to take for a team with an unsettled QB situation, no linebacking to speak of and a big, big void at LG.

If you want a high risk, high reward playmaker, I'd rather go with Patterson...

No it's not. But hanging your shingle on a 174-pound WR is a LOT of risk to take for a team with an unsettled QB situation, no linebacking to speak of and a big, big void at LG.

If you want a high risk, high reward playmaker, I'd rather go with Patterson...

I don't see Austin as a high risk player. That is why you are seeing 175 lb WR projected in the top 15. I am a fan of Patterson as well and he is certainly a high risk high reward guy.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Both of you obviously think Austin is going to do well in the NFL, but don't think its wise for the Bills to take him? Why would he be a great pick for a playoff team, but a bad pick for a worse team? Bad teams need good players, especially now when the NFL offenses are run like flag football teams. Our current passing game features Stevie and ...? Austin could step right in and add an additional dimension to the offense.

Because the very real questions about size suggest he's not worth the #8 pick and the Bills' needs for that type of player are exceeded by their needs for others (QB, for example. I am not sold on Kolb yet). If Astro's scenario of dipping down to #15 to get him and pick up a sweet extra pick (day one or two) works out, that's EXACTLY how the Bills should be getting him while filling another position of need with a top-75 draft pick.

I love Austin. Absolutely love him. I think it's scary to pick that kind of player in the top 10, that's all.

I think many of us are comparing this to the Russell Wilson situation because it has the same kind of risk/reward potential. The risks are real, and so is the guy's performance. At the same time, there is probably actually more history of guys like him succeeding than there is of short QBs. SJBF and a few others have outlined some pretty good questions as to whether the best players sometimes get driven out of the conversation before they get a chance to succeed at some of the more premier skill positions, though.

[/size]

Simple. You don't add a gold plated 3-d projection entertainment system to a house with no roof or furnace....

But if someone on the street is offering you that, or a box of shingles which do you toss in your truck? There's a balance and if you have a shot at someone special (not arguing that tavon is that) you take someone special and figure out the rest later.

But if someone on the street is offering you that, or a box of shingles which do you toss in your truck? There's a balance and if you have a shot at someone special (not arguing that tavon is that) you take someone special and figure out the rest later.

I thought Ralph wasn't going to be in the war room anymore.... :D

I said it the other day but I think that Austin is a combination of Welker and Desean Jackson. I think that the Bills will have a difficult time sustaining drives because of average-below average QB play. They are going to have to hit some big plays to score. They are not going to be able to surgically go down the field on 18 play drives a la Tom Brady. Spiller and McKelvin play an important role for this very reason. Austin would be another player in that mold. I see the appeal. I would be cool with him in a trade back situation but I don't think that it will happen. I would be surprised if he wasn't a top 13 pick.

If the Bills are going to have trouble sustaining drives because of average-below average QB play, why do you feel they'll have what it takes (the OL and the QB) to "hit on big plays"?

A lot of the WCO is built on quick delivery of short, high percentage passing plays to open up the run game, and enable the "big play" to take place. Average 3.4 ypa moves the chains. If we can't sustain drives with the short, high-percentage accurate stuff, I doubt we'll be able to pull off the big plays, myself.

CJ is 5'11" and 200 lbs...a lot bigger than 5'8" and 174.

....and still faces a lot of questions as to whether he's durable enough to handle 25 carries per game

I can see that...Thing is giving up picks when you only have 6 to start with, and more needs than picks, kinda makes me cringe...But if they really hit on the first 4 players they Drafted it would be OK I guess...I just want more picks...Not less...If they were to trade back in the 1st, and somehow come away with Austin and EJ Manuel with the first two picks...I would be very happy...Easier said than done though...Right? :D

i would take those 6 picks and throw 4 of them away if you could guarentee me a good starting qb and a solid starter at any other position of need. in this case, that would be electrifying slot reciever. so yeah, what you said...

And as good as Austin has been at WVU, CJ was better at Clemson...Bigger, just as fast (probably a little faster), just as quick, and better... B-)

Spiller had 5500 yards and 39 TDs. 1500 yards less than Austin, but same TDs.

If the Bills are going to have trouble sustaining drives because of average-below average QB play, why do you feel they'll have what it takes (the OL and the QB) to "hit on big plays"?

A lot of the WCO is built on quick delivery of short, high percentage passing plays to open up the run game, and enable the "big play" to take place. Average 3.4 ypa moves the chains. If we can't sustain drives with the short, high-percentage accurate stuff, I doubt we'll be able to pull off the big plays, myself.

....and still faces a lot of questions as to whether he's durable enough to handle 25 carries per game

I don't think that the big plays will be made over the top (which would require good QB and OL play). I think that this offense will be predicated on getting the ball into playmakers hands quickly and letting them do the work. A guy that can take a 7 yard slant to the house is appealing to me.

Edited by Kirby Jackson