Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

Spiller had 5500 yards and 39 TDs. 1500 yards less than Austin, but same TDs.

Not sure what you're looking at but Spiller had 4967 yards from scrimmage compared to Austin's 4444...And CJ had 51 total TD's (KR and PR included) to Austin's 40...Austin did have more Kick and Punt return yards than Spiller (a little over 200 yards more)...Spiller's KR average was better than Austin's...Austin's PR average was better than Spiller's...All this according to sports-reference.com...

No matter though...IMHO Spiller was still better... B-)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if someone on the street is offering you that, or a box of shingles which do you toss in your truck? There's a balance and if you have a shot at someone special (not arguing that tavon is that) you take someone special and figure out the rest later.

Bad analogy. You aren't being offered a choice between a fancy entertainment system and a box of shingles.

You have 6 draft picks, a whole bunch of needs, and the fact that the most talented contributors at every position are typically found in the first round

I don't think that the big plays will be made over the top (which would require good QB and OL play). I think that this offense will be predicated on getting the ball into playmakers hands quickly and letting then do the work. A guy that can take a 7 yard slant to the house is appealing to me.

Thanks for clarifying, I understand your point better now. Fair enough, but arguably we already have 2, maybe 3?, such guys.

Edited by Hopeful

Spiller had 5500 rushing yards and 39 TDs. 1500 yards less than Austin, but same TDs.

Spiller had 3547 yards rushing and 32 TD's, 1420 yards receiving and 11 TD's, 2052 KO return yards with 7 TD's, and 569 punt return yards with 1 TD.

Austin had 3413 receiving yards and 29 TD's, 1031 rushing yards and 6 TD's, 2407 kick return yards and 4 TD's, and 433 punt return yards and 1 TD.

So Spiller had 304 more total yards and 11 more TD's.

wes welker is overrated. you could put me in the slot with my cane and id catch eighty balls for twelve hundred from marcia the cheating hofer. wes is only slightly better than that

With all respect, Head Made of Meat, I think that's horse-pucky. It reads as though you've never watched Welker play. You and your cane would never get off the line and be open in the right place at the right time to catch those eighty balls. And you'd never get half the yardage that Welker gets. Welker has an uncanny ability to make people miss and gain yards after the 1st contact.

Not sure what you're looking at but Spiller had 4967 yards from scrimmage compared to Austin's 4444...And CJ had 51 total TD's (KR and PR included) to Austin's 40...Austin did have more Kick and Punt return yards than Spiller (a little over 200 yards more)...Spiller's KR average was better than Austin's...Austin's PR average was better than Spiller's...All this according to sports-reference.com...

No matter though...IMHO Spiller was still better... B-)

You're right. I was reading his rushing stats only. So Spiller and Austin had similar stats. I know it sounds like I'm huge into Austin's corner, but it's kind of in a Bill James way. Anyone who can be that productive has to be a good prospect.

Bad analogy. You aren't being offered a choice between a fancy entertainment system and a box of shingles.

You have 6 draft picks, a whole bunch of needs, and the fact that the most talented contributors at every position are typically found in the first round

Thanks for clarifying, I understand your point better now. Fair enough, but arguably we already have 2, maybe 3?, such guys.

Okay. not that you can enough threats , but i can see Spiller and a potential Graham who can burst past almost anyone.

whom is the third and is Graham the second one ?

Austin at eight for us seems a stretch to me but the coaches know what plating schemes they are going to run better than i B-)

But this guy is going to come in and play ball right away imo. Thats value in a receiver these days and Kolb is better at being the play calling described here by most. Catch and run. Not a big arm. Give Kevin a target who can get off the line and then turn it up. perfect. We can still get the big fella later in the draft.

I myself want an inside linebacker asap

so who are the 3 amigos hopeful?

ps can Tavon block ??

Edited by 3rdand12

It was exaggerated for sure, but ultimately when you start reaching for holes instead of taking stars staring you in the face, you've failed miserably. Again, not saying tavons a star but if he turned into harvin without the baggage, you'd be hard to justify taking even a good player at a position of need. You have a lot of ways to put band aids on your roster, pick 8 shouldn't be about filling holes it should be about getting the type of player that is very hard to get in free agency.

I was just speaking in hypotheticals. I do want a QB at #8, preferrably Geno or EJ. I want nothing to do with Nassib, but am so scared these guys are going to make the lazy homer pick and take him at #8.

I have nothing to base this on other than a feeling...I think that Nassib at 8 will be the furthest thing from the minds of the FO. The firestorm, if he failed, would be too much for the coach and FO to withstand. All would be gone after 2 years.

I have nothing to base this on other than a feeling...I think that Nassib at 8 will be the furthest thing from the minds of the FO. The firestorm, if he failed, would be too much for the coach and FO to withstand. All would be gone after 2 years.

That's about right, no?

Blah blah blah...no one knows how this kid will perform. It's a cost benefit analysis and certainly, a 5ft 8 inch WR is not going to provide a benefit more than a killer LB or OT in Round 1. Stop dreaming folks and come back to planet Earth.

If we draft Tavon at #8 I'll eat my Bills' hat (pics provided)

With all respect, Head Made of Meat, I think that's horse-pucky. It reads as though you've never watched Welker play. You and your cane would never get off the line and be open in the right place at the right time to catch those eighty balls. And you'd never get half the yardage that Welker gets. Welker has an uncanny ability to make people miss and gain yards after the 1st contact.

you watch your language

im just saying welkers pretty good but hes not the dominating stud hes portrayed to be. best of the best qbs make everybody look like all-pros. a player like welker on any other team except maybe the saints would probably get two-thirds of their production. thats just the way it is but most ppl overlook that, even those in the bidness sometimes

same thing with the coaching. i hate brady but hes crazy good at this stupid game. so much so that a sub-.500 career hc without him is portrayed as some kind of great genius. wes is as studly as belicheater is genius, which means neither of them are and thats the point

Blah blah blah...no one knows how this kid will perform. It's a cost benefit analysis and certainly, a 5ft 8 inch WR is not going to provide a benefit more than a killer LB or OT in Round 1. Stop dreaming folks and come back to planet Earth.

If we draft Tavon at #8 I'll eat my Bills' hat (pics provided)

There's absolutely no way of stating this as a fact.

They're definitely in a bit of an odd situation. Even if Nassib did grade out the highest of all QBs according to their scouting reports, until he proved that he was good, the perspective of the pick would be that he was nothing more than a lazy homer pick because he was the "coach's boy" in college. Fair or unfair, that's going to be what it looks like if they draft Nassib.

Exactly, just as there is no way to state with any degree of certainty that Tavon will be a premier WR...but with a deep WR class, why not shore up a LB unit that rendered our defense 28th in the NFL?? All I'm saying is - look at the big picture with respect to team needs.

They're definitely in a bit of an odd situation. Even if Nassib did grade out the highest of all QBs according to their scouting reports, until he proved that he was good, the perspective of the pick would be that he was nothing more than a lazy homer pick because he was the "coach's boy" in college. Fair or unfair, that's going to be what it looks like if they draft Nassib.

Likewise, imagine if they pass on him at 41 and he succeeds.

Winning games is also fun.

Well Bill...We're Bills fans...So we would know nothing about that... ;)

Yes, what is this strange concept about "winning" games?

It is foreign to me and I find it disquieting to say the least.

Yep. And if we don't, I hope that Brandon is fired. In fact, I hope that he gets fired today.

Wadya have against yesterday?