Metzalaars Trashes Fitz

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sounds like he has an ax to grind.

2. Didn't return calls to a guy asking to be hired back in an assistant's role? With everything else they had going on, with building out their new staff, I'll give them a pass. Plus, see: no. 1.

3. A personnel decision based on ticket sales? When has this ever happened? Seriously though, fans can't have it both ways. They can't demand personnel decisions by holding their season tickets hostage and chastise the organization for making personnel changes they glean to have been influenced by marketability.

If you listen to the crowd you will soon be amongst them!!!!

http://blogs.buffalo...itzpatrick.html

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

Interesting that he also says that he inquired about a job with Marrone's staff and no one even returned his calls. So OBD keeps Fitz around, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a decent coach who was also a solid contributor and warrior as a player. Classy stuff.

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

I dont think the Bills are that dumb to enter 13' with Fitz as the QB. It's either going to Jackson or the rookie QB.

But the Bills have dumb some stupid shyt over the years so anythings possible.

Fitz is a fricken choker....simple as that.

Don't agree. IMO, Fitzs' biggest weakness at clutch time is that he tries to overcompensate for the weaknesses at other positions and ends up taking risks that his physical skills don't allow him to overcome.

Is that choking...or just a lack of the necessary skill set to play the position at this level? I think it's the latter. He's a gamer, but will never make enough plays to be able to carry a mediocre team on his shoulders.

1.) Just Stating the obvious with Fitzaster

2.) I don't know how the process works for hiring and firing NFL coaches. It looks like one big good ole' boys club. Seems like Morrone should have could have called him back. Thats probably a rookie mistake.

3.) Why is anyone on this board worried about season ticket sales. Just win baby. The sales will be there with more Ws. I guarantee.

I forgot

4.) (cat fighting noise)

Fitzaster.....lol, hasn't seen that one before. If that's your creation, thanks, it made me laugh. Agree with everything you said.

I guess I missed the bus on this thread and can't bear to read another 7 pages about fitz. So here's my take. Metz said it like he saw it. Like we all saw it. Well, there are a couple here that still think he's a decent QB. But that's beside the point. Marrone should have called Metz back, but didn't. I think that sucks, but oh well. I'll grade him on how many wins he gets, not on how many nfl coaches he snubs. Fitz still sucks. Nothing new here.

Metz' comments are throwing Buddy Nix under the bus. "If you don't have a dominating defense, you need a winning QB in the NFL." That's not a revelation, just the cold hard truth. And, for 3 years the Bills ignored the QB position while throwing their resources at building a better (cough) defense. Despite all that effort, the defense went from pathetic under George Edwards to historically bad laughingstock under Dave Wannstedt.

What was Brandon thinking when he didn't summarily fire Nix when he took over the football operation? How do you create an environment of accountability when you don't hold people accountable. It's outrageous and it is infuriating.

Brandon either didn't want to embarrass Nix, was advised he can't fire him or told Nix to retire after the draft. If none of the above, then he's plain clueless.

We don't know how much scouting Nix did prior to the restructuring in January. Perhaps they don't want to lose all those travel points Nix picked up this past fall. Or they actually think his scouting work is still worthwhile. Either way, he should be done on 1 May. If not, well, then not much has changed in the personnel department.

Edited by BillsVet

Metz' comments are throwing Buddy Nix under the bus. "If you don't have a dominating defense, you need a winning QB in the NFL." That's not a revelation, just the cold hard truth. And, for 3 years the Bills ignored the QB position while throwing their resources at building a better (cough) defense. Despite all that effort, the defense went from pathetic under George Edwards to historically bad laughingstock under Dave Wannstedt.

We will learn a lot about what Nix has done with Pettine. The possibility exists that Wannstedt was the problem. Nix can't be maligned for trying. The contract extension of Kyle, drafting of Dareus and Gillmore, and the signing of Anderson and Mario were all things that made a lot of sense. Let's see what an innovative coordinator does with it. I believe we will more accurately be able to judge those moves this year.

http://blogs.buffalo...itzpatrick.html

"Fitz is an average to below-average kind of guy, and unfortunately he made some bad decisions at the end of games and then didn't make plays at the ends of other games we had chances to win. So it's got to start there."

Interesting that he also says that he inquired about a job with Marrone's staff and no one even returned his calls. So OBD keeps Fitz around, and doesn't even return the phone calls of a decent coach who was also a solid contributor and warrior as a player. Classy stuff.

Here is my real question - putting aside whether you think Fitz is salvagable or not, how on earth are they going to sell any season tickets if he is the starting QB heading into the season? It boggles my mind from a marketing perspective.

When someone just tells it like it is, straight ahead obvious truth, I don't consider that "trashing" at all.

1. Sounds like he has an ax to grind.

2. Didn't return calls to a guy asking to be hired back in an assistant's role? With everything else they had going on, with building out their new staff, I'll give them a pass. Plus, see: no. 1.

3. A personnel decision based on ticket sales? When has this ever happened? Seriously though, fans can't have it both ways. They can't demand personnel decisions by holding their season tickets hostage and chastise the organization for making personnel changes they glean to have been influenced by marketability.

!eciN

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

We will learn a lot about what Nix has done with Pettine. The possibility exists that Wannstedt was the problem. Nix can't be maligned for trying. The contract extension of Kyle, drafting of Dareus and Gillmore, and the signing of Anderson and Mario were all things that made a lot of sense. Let's see what an innovative coordinator does with it. I believe we will more accurately be able to judge those moves this year.

Of course, he can be blamed. He hired Gailey and signed off on the move to promote Wannstedt. That latter was nothing short of a major blunder, especially considering that Nix' vision was to build a 3-4 defense and he had spent his first 2 years "trying". And, "trying" doesn't earn someone enough charity points to offset measured failure. 16-32.

1. Pete is absolutely right- the guy is not clutch and should be labeled as an average to below average quarterback. It HURTS him to see the Bills waste talent with a less than stellar QB.

2. Pete may have an ax to grind with the coaching staff, but it doesn't make what he said a lie or hyperbole.

3. Marrone brought in the guys he wanted, and Nix/Whaley will bring in the guys that they want. I still think this combination will fail because they chose to keep Fitz instead of washing their hands of him and that is a big red flag to me. Experience is only good if it is GOOD experience.

What was it? 15 Draft Picks in three years on Defense?...Only to field three of the five worst Defenses in team history... :doh:

Listening to Nix get interviewed this morning on WGR...The very thought that this guy is still running the football side makes me extremely nauseous...I can't even believe it...He's still freaking there...And he's still running things...Good grief... B-)

And, for 3 years the Bills ignored the QB position while throwing their resources at building a better (cough) defense.

Doesn't mean addressing the talent level on that side of the ball was the wrong thing to do.

Revisionist history only becomes relevant when things don't work out as expected...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/mario-gives-bills-legitimacy-stout-defense/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718582/2012-nfl-free-agency-bills-beefing-defense-sign-de-anderson

Brandon either didn't want to embarrass Nix, was advised he can't fire him or told Nix to retire after the draft. If none of the above, then he's plain clueless.

We don't know how much scouting Nix did prior to the restructuring in January. Perhaps they don't want to lose all those travel points Nix picked up this past fall. Or they actually think his scouting work is still worthwhile. Either way, he should be done on 1 May. If not, well, then not much has changed in the personnel department.

My guess is Ralph's last request was to give Nix one more year...Nothing else makes any sense to me...Nix should be gone...His record speaks for itself...It's brutal... B-)

What is puzzling to me is the comments on how smart this is or how great of him it was to be forthcoming. Maybe I'm too dumb to see how intelligent this is.

To Me... It seems rediculously stupid while looking for a job in the same biz, potentially back with the bills, and in the meantime allowing his critique of the old bosses to be splashed all over the local newspaper. Two of the guys he indirectly criticized still work there by the way.

Saying fitz was not good enough to win with, flies in the face of what nix and chan were saying. It's obvious by the record, but the finger pointing isn't damning to fitz, just his own job search. And fitz won't need to explain why Pete Metzalaars doesn't hold him in high regard, i mean who is Pete other than a has been, mediocre talent himself? Fitz's got a bunch of bad picks and a lousy record to worry about. Maybe fitz will be unemployed come season kickoff, but I am willing to bet Petes already in line at the unemployment office when he gets there.