Tarvaris Jackson re-signs with Bills

scurdog1

cant book it until we see who gets picked at #8. Geno or Barkley could possibly bring something positive to this team. I wouldn't cry if we traded up for top WR after that. Defense all free agents and picks 4 and above. Lock the offense in hit the next draft hard on defense. Hopkins, Austin in trade up to late 1st round or Swope later in draft would be awesome IMO.

Stevie and (1st round qb) need another weapon.

Cant argue any of that. Good stuff right there. Thanks Ryan.

Just to see this train-wreck make the playoffs in 2013 (hell, even if they lose) would make me (and many of us) very happy. 0pouce.gif

jb

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Open Competition"...Meaning fitz and tjax are competing for a 8 game season. Whoever "wins" the battle will be our starter for 8 games, then our young draftpick (Geno, Wilson, ETC) will be handed the reigns.

My money is on TJax, he will be consistent, and underwhelming, but will be a safer play than the "gunslinger" fitz.

I'm fine with re-sugning Jackson. Keeping Fitzpatrick? I can't...just cant. I don't care about saving $$, I will not support a team with him at QB for one more game. Bright side: With this roster, coaches, and now these two uninspiring QB's, the Bills will be in great shape to select Johnny Football with the first overall pick in 2014. Disgusted. Totally disgusted.

Since Johnny Manziel started this year as a true freshman wouldn't we have to wait till 2015 before he's eligible to come out???

lol Bills. Maybe Hackett was intrigued after he watched all of that TJ film from last season.

T-jax bobbled the clipboard a few times last season.

But seriously, you sign a Kid who's arm is deader than John Belushi, and a QB, who hasn't seen the field in over a year?

Doesn't seem like they want any real competition for their guy, whichever round they take him in.. -Not that Fitz is real competition for ANY quarterback, Vet, or Rook.

Edited by #34fan

He is not a good QB. Doubtful his phone is ringing off the hook with offers. Has a chance to compete for starting position with Buffalo. He's probably thinking he can beat out Fitz, assuming Fitz is still here. May as well give it a go is what I'm thinking he's thinking.

Yet...through all of this practically everyone on the board thinks Alex Smith is a bad idea. I guess the answer here is FIRE EVERYBODY EARLY AND OFTEN !! Yea...thats the ticket !!

If Tjax starts for Buffalo it'll a game or two for these "experts" to say coulda..shoulda....woulda.

For this year Alex is our best option. (if he's available) . I wouldn't touch any of the QB's in this draft until round 4 or later. Develop them behind Alex for a year or two. But thats just me.

jb

Surprise! Some bobbleheads had T-Jax as the second best option QB in free agency.

And, If he signed at 4.5 mil. That is not chump change, in fact a bump from 2012. For the dude in

street clothes under Gailey's last pathetic stand.

The Bills may have overpaid to keep him out of F agency. It is what it is. I would think at around 13 mil

The Bills 2013 QB roster is taking shape. No matter how horrible it is.

Top 5 pick in 2014!

T-jax bobbled the clipboard a few times last season.

But seriously, you sign a Kid who's arm is deader than John Belushi, and a QB, who hasn't seen the field in a couple of YEARS?

If this is what I think it is, it don't look good for Fitz. Doesn't seem like they want any real competition for their guy, whichever round they take him in.. -Not that Fitz is real competition for ANY quarterback, Vet, or Rook.

Stop with the conspiracy BS. You think NFL head coaches - especially one getting his 1st shot - is going to screw around w/ the roster so they can set up "their guy" (whatever the F that means) for a nice gig at QB?

No, Marrone is going to do what he thinks is best for the team which in turn is also the best thing for Marrone's career. No one's rigging the flipping roster dude.

Surprise! Some bobbleheads had T-Jax as the second best option QB in free agency.

And, If he signed at 4.5 mil. That is not chump change, in fact a bump from 2012. For the dude in

street clothes under Gailey's last pathetic stand.

The Bills may have overpaid to keep him out of F agency. It is what it is.

At this time his contract is being reported as....

"...a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $4.5 million."

This implies there are incentives in the contract.....I would guess based upon playing time.

There is also no mention of signing bonus. If the signing bonus is around 0.5M or less then he can easily be cut before the season.

Stop with the conspiracy BS. You think NFL head coaches - especially one getting his 1st shot - is going to screw around w/ the roster so they can set up "their guy" (whatever the F that means) for a nice gig at QB?

No, Marrone is going to do what he thinks is best for the team which in turn is also the best thing for Marrone's career. No one's rigging the flipping roster dude.

:lol: !

At this time his contract is being reported as....

"...a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $4.5 million."

This implies there are incentives in the contract.....I would guess based upon playing time.

There is also no mention of signing bonus. If the signing bonus is around 0.5M or less then he can easily be cut before the season.

Implies, means what? An educated guess. Unless something develops. It's doubtful a rook from this mediocre QB class takes over the current QB roster. Few would believe the Bills are a suddenly forward thinking franchise, and breaking new ground in the NFL..

With the ability to stockpile Qb's, and find one in year one of a new and green regime.

Not to worry. We just re-signed Tarvaris Jackson. I read here on this board that he's a great QB. So...just like Snopes, it must be true. Right ?

See you in the Fall.

No signs of intelligent life here, Kirk out !

j

Yes those who blindly support the rag arm qb are beyond help

Very interested to see quotes from Nix et al w/ regard to this. I'm guessing it'll be "chance to compete for the job". Can't think T-Jax would've re-signed this early without at least that promise. Also can't imagine the Bills would be dumb enough to sell him as much more than that. But I've been surprised before.

Most interesting implication of this is that it gives the Bills leverage/options with respect to Fitz. Is T-Jack really any worse? Bills likely want Fitz to restructure to save cap room and real cash. Cutting him saves tons of cash, but no cap room. With the added leverage of "we're happy to have TJ play caretaker while we develop a rookie", they might be able to get Fitz to agree to a restructure.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

TJax plus signing Aaron Corp is all about leverage, IMO. If Fitz is the only QB signed on the roster, he has little incentive to restructure and the Bills have little leverage to persuade him. With two other QB signed, the Bills are saying "we're willing to take the cap hit and keep this year's cash, restructure or walk!" and Fitz gets to make up his mind: restructure, or take his chances elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

TJax plus signing Aaron Corp is all about leverage, IMO. If Fitz is the only QB signed on the roster, he has little incentive to restructure and the Bills have little leverage to persuade him. With two other QB signed, the Bills are saying "we're willing to take the cap hit and keep this year's cash, restructure or walk!" and Fitz gets to make up his mind: restructure, or take his chances elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

9 pages and finally some sense (although I do think that getting cut is some leverage, already in the Bills favor), the sense of a new deal with Fitz is that the team wants more cap space, (that is Fitz's leverage). I kind of like TJ, I think he may be a bit more serviceable than Fitz. A little slow with decisions while he has the ball in his hands but a good arm. I hope our Oline is up to the task this year of blocking for more than 3 seconds on occasion.

It will be interesting what happens now that much is for sure.

Hard to imagine any of the rookie QBs starting for B-lo opening day. Open comp between Fits and T-jax. If the winner doesnt get it done than in comes the rookie. Gotta have a few vets on the roster to start this thing next year regardless of what QB we draft. Hope we get to see t-jax in preseason. Already know what Fitz brings to the table.

If Jackson plays pre-season this August, It'll be roughly a year and a half since going 7-9 with Seattle in the 2011-12.

He played in just three games in 2010, (stand-in for a beat-up Favre) before going down with a turf toe injury.

Everything I'm seeing says these guys are changing directions. Thanks to Chan, we have no idea what we're getting in T-Jax... He hasn't taken one snap as a Bill, If this were about Leverage, wouldn't they have signed somebody more threatening? If Marrone gets put in the doghouse early next season, I doubt it will be because of Fitz. I'd be stunned if the "bearded one" were still on our roster come March.

Edited by #34fan

"Open Competition"...Meaning fitz and tjax are competing for a 8 game season. Whoever "wins" the battle will be our starter for 8 games, then our young draftpick (Geno, Wilson, ETC) will be handed the reigns.

My money is on TJax, he will be consistent, and underwhelming, but will be a safer play than the "gunslinger" fitz.

What sucks is this leaves open the horrifying possibility fitz is still on the roster come training camp.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If Jackson plays pre-season this August, It'll be roughly a year and a half since going 7-9 with Seattle in the 2011-12.

He played in just three games in 2010, (stand-in for a beat-up Favre) before going down with a turf toe injury.

Everything I'm seeing says these guys are changing directions. Thanks to Chan, we have no idea what we're getting in T-Jax... He hasn't taken one snap as a Bill, If this were about Leverage, wouldn't they have signed somebody more threatening? If Marrone gets put in the doghouse early next season, I doubt it will be because of Fitz. I'd be stunned if the "bearded one" were still on our roster come March.

So Jackson might be ready to make the jump to "the next level"? He is some unknown quantity?

There is as good a chance that Fitz will take his play to the next level, as Jackson making that jump. Not gonna happen.

I would rather they run the Wishbone Offense with a running QB (even with Tim Tebow, who I can't stand) than sit through another season of poor to mediocre quarterback play from the same cast of characters. They just can't put the fans of Buffalo through that AGAIN. It's too painful. I swear, my eyes are welling up with tears just thinking about another season of it.

I remember the year before Flynn in Seattle, and wasn't T Jax that took Seattle to the playoffs before losing to Chicago. I know he's not Tom Brady, but he played a lot better on an avg team than Fitz. I can't watch the Bills if Fitz is the QB. It's so obvious with him under center it's a short pass or run as he is incapable of throwing beyond 15 yards. I say cut him for the salary before March, keep T Jax and draft a guy. Even if we have to draft another QB next year, we need talent and WE WILL NEVER WIN WITH FITZ!!!!!

Salient points:

1) TJax was to have become an unrestricted free agent yet he re-signs with the Bills.

No doubt they are looking to upgrade at the QB position, but I think TJax resigned here because he knew he wasn't going to get any offers anywhere else. I think if he knew he had a shot to go elsewhere he would have been gone in a heartbeat. So I don't read too much into this signing as I think the QB they draft is going to be the starter.

No doubt they are looking to upgrade at the QB position, but I think TJax resigned here because he knew he wasn't going to get any offers anywhere else. I think if he knew he had a shot to go elsewhere he would have been gone in a heartbeat. So I don't read too much into this signing as I think the QB they draft is going to be the starter.

I agree.

Whichever veteran QB wins out between TJax and Fitz, the other will be sent packing and regardless, the winner will be a placeholder for a young QB OTF.

Considering we fans have no body of work by which to judge TJ (thanks, Chan), I can only say this is a good move at this point. To me it says they're not looking to make a first round QB selection, though I believe they'll look to get one in round 2 or 3.

I remember the year before Flynn in Seattle, and wasn't T Jax that took Seattle to the playoffs before losing to Chicago. I know he's not Tom Brady, but he played a lot better on an avg team than Fitz. I can't watch the Bills if Fitz is the QB. It's so obvious with him under center it's a short pass or run as he is incapable of throwing beyond 15 yards. I say cut him for the salary before March, keep T Jax and draft a guy. Even if we have to draft another QB next year, we need talent and WE WILL NEVER WIN WITH FITZ!!!!!

The year was 2010 and Tjax was brilliant...as the #3 QB behind Brett Favre in Minnesota. :doh: You're thinking of Matt Hasselbeck. The Hawks went 7-9 but won the NFCW

But Tjax did start 15 games in 2011 for SEA and also went 7-9 but finished 3rd. His stat line: 60.2% 3091yds 14 TDs, 13 INTs. By comparison Fitz' 2011 stat line: 62.0% 3832yds 24 TDs 23 INTs 6-10 record.

As you can see Tjax was miles ahead of Fitz. <_<

PTR

But Tjax did start 15 games in 2011 for SEA and also went 7-9 but finished 3rd. His stat line: 60.2% 3091yds 14 TDs, 13 INTs. By comparison Fitz' 2011 stat line: 62.0% 3832yds 24 TDs 23 INTs 6-10 record.

Every time someone posts Ryan "Garbage Time" Fitzpatrick's stats God kills a kitten. Here's a challenge: Name 2 WRs of the 2011 SEA roster without an internet search.

Every time someone posts Ryan "Garbage Time" Fitzpatrick's stats God kills a kitten. Here's a challenge: Name 2 WRs of the 2011 SEA roster without an internet search.

I looked, i'm guilty. Don't see much difference in WR's

Seattle had mike williams, doug baldwin, sidney rice, ben obomanu, golden tate, zach miller

Buffalo had derek hagan, donald jones, steve johnson, dave nelson, scott chandler, naaman roosevelt, brad smith ruvell martin

I don't know, I sure don't see much of a difference as I think they are both very weak.

What was your point?

Edited by billsbum

I don't know, I sure don't see much of a difference as I think they are both very weak.

What was your point?

You might want to look again. SEA didn't have a single WR that belongs in the NFL in 2011 (maybe Rice, but he was hurt half the year). There's no Stevie Johnson on that team. I think you got the point, but maybe just think a bit too highly of Doug Baldwin.