Tarvaris Jackson re-signs with Bills

scurdog1

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that they believe what I do....there is not a QB worthy of the 8th pick unless it's Geno Smith.

They will have to wait till round 2 to address the QB situation. I would like to see Wilson from Arkansas if he is there....Nassib, maybe. They may all be gone by the 2nd round.

If it weren't for Fitzpatrick's contract, I'd say T-Jack is the one QB I'd be okay with the Bills keeping around as a backup - now, Fitz, at 2-3 million a year would be a good backup, but at his current cap hit, I just don't know - maybe this is Marone's way of telling Fitz to restructure or its over? We'll see how it plays out. I think, though, it looks more and more likely the Bills won't be getting a QB until round 2-3, which means it'll definitely be an open competition.

I get the feeling that if Fitz is still around and doesn't restructure, in other words, plays on his current contract, it won't really be an open competition, especially if Ralph is still coherent enough to realize he isn't paying a backup that much.

i like this move. T Jack has some talent and athleticism. He got a real raw deal last year. Embarrassing that he didn't even dress for a game.

Resigning Jackson doesn't bother me, it is the part where it is alluded to that Fitz will still be here.

Guys, Fitz isn't going anywhere. Jeebus.

It'll cost more to cut him than keep him.

That is completely inaccurate

Fitz is due a bonus which would bring his salary to 10.45 with a cap number of 10 so cutting him would save 450k in salary cap money but 10.45 mil in real money. The logical scenario was always to restructure his contract

I take this news as both open competition for starting QB and roster spot as they will most likely be adding a rookie QB

Edited by Max997

I am not sure what I think about Tavaris. He was absolutely awful in Minnisota. Decent at best in Seattle. For what it's worth on NFL Radio they were discussing whether or not to release Fitz. The consensus was they would be terrified to have Tavarius or Thigpen have to see game time or start a string of games. Fitz should stay

Clearly "they" didn't know what they were talking about if they included Thigpen in the conversation.

Resigning Jackson doesn't bother me, it is the part where it is alluded to that Fitz will still be here.

You might get used to the idea.

There are many people here who don't ever want to see Fitz play another down of football for the Buffalo Bills.

However many of those same people are resigned to the fact that cutting Fitz makes zero sense from an economic standpoint.

Fitz is due a bonus which would bring his salary to 10.45 with a cap number of 10 so cutting him would save 450k in salary cap money but 10.45 mil in real money.

The logical scenario was always to restructure his contract

Hopefully he gives the Bills a club-friendly deal but until it's done, I'm not holding my breath.

It's impossible to speculate on what this means to Bills strategy unless we know the details of Jackson's contract.

Well as I pointed out, we do know he was set to become an unrestricted free agent...

Fitz is due a bonus which would bring his salary to 10.45 with a cap number of 10 so cutting him would save 450k in salary cap money but 10.45 mil in real money. The logical scenario was always to restructure his contract

I take this news as both open competition for starting QB and roster spot as they will most likely be adding a rookie QB

Okay, fair enough. But the $450K they save--will they be paying more or less than that to the man they'll HAVE to replace him with.

Well as I pointed out, we do know he was set to become an unrestricted free agent...

Yeah....but I don't know what that means in relation to his new deal. How many years.....how much per year....signing bonus?

Signing Bonus is going to be a key factor. If it is high then it is likely he stays on the roster.....if low, we can cut him at training camp with no great ill effect to the cap.

I think it means the opposite, Fitz wasn't willing to re-structure much if at all, so I think this says good bye Fitz, we'll go with Jackson, a fairly high round rookie (1 thru 3) and maybe either another low level vet, or maybe this guy that just signed yesterday.

Most interesting implication of this is that it gives the Bills leverage/options with respect to Fitz. Is T-Jack really any worse? Bills likely want Fitz to restructure to save cap room and real cash. Cutting him saves tons of cash, but no cap room. With the added leverage of "we're happy to have TJ play caretaker while we develop a rookie", they might be able to get Fitz to agree to a restructure.

Maybe the Bills front office decided to weed out some of the fans by suicide or heart attack as well as some of the players.

Some of the players cut have had interest shown by other teams but I doubt that the fans who swear to jump ship every time the front office makes move they do not agree with will be picked up willingly by fandoms of other teams (Jests are exception since they are used to fans changing jerseys).

Clearly "they" didn't know what they were talking about if they included Thigpen in the conversation.

You might get used to the idea.

There are many people here who don't ever want to see Fitz play another down of football for the Buffalo Bills.

However many of those same people are resigned to the fact that cutting Fitz makes zero sense from an economic standpoint.

Paying a large sum to get an ugly wart removed from your forehead doesn't make economic sense either, but you do it because you will be better off in the future, very near future. Edited by BuffBill

And as I just replied, that $450K "savings" goes right out the window when you have to then bring in a replacement either through FA or the draft.

Who cares? This team isn't going win to this year or probably another year or two after that. They are cutting players who are better at their respective positions then Fitz is at his. If they wait to replace Fitz until next year, it is just one more year before this team can even begin to be taken seriously on the offensive side of the ball. Edited by BuffBill

Well, if we do keep Fitz, it will be yet another entertaining year of internet squabbles with Fitz supporters. If we can never make the playoffs, I suppose that's still an emotional attachment.

I curse the year 1979 when, as a naive lad, I chose to cheer for the Bills because nobody else I knew did.

Who cares? This team isn't going win to this year or probably another year or two after that. They are cutting players who are better at their respective positions then Fitz is at his. If they wait to replace Fitz until next year, it is just one more year before this team can even begin to be taken seriously on the offensive side of the ball.

Not the point. The argument was empirical, not philosophical.

This team is a joke. So we have our quarterbacks for 2013. Fitz, TJax and Aaron Corps. Wow? I guess clueless Buddy Nix wanted to try to save face for giving up a draft pick for Jackson and never having him active on game day? Looks like another dismal, losing, normal Bills season in 2013. Can it get any more depressing? If it a true "open competition" like Marone says it will be, even though he sucks, TJax would beat out Fitz. Let's hope so, because if Fitz is the better of the two, God, I don't even want to think about it.

Thank you Captain Sunshine. I don't believe that Fitz will remain on the roster. If he does, he most certainly will not be the starter. Jackson seems to fit the offensive philosophy of Marrone/Hackett. I would have no problem with him being the starter opening day while a rookie learns the system in order to take over. Seems like a pretty good strategy to me. Mark my words, signing Jackson will have zero impact on the Bills drafting a QB. They still will draft the best QB they can get in either round 1 or 2. Fitz will be gone soon enough and Corp is there as QB 3.

good bye fitz, this new staff has a clue and will give t.j a chance

A chance to what? the dude has less than a 78 career QB rating. Hecould never hold on to a starting position. He took 42 sacks in 2011. If he has to play, it's gonna suck. More training camp fodder.

What this means...

1. Thigpen is gone

2. Fitz is your starter as I have been saying all along - he will easily beat out T Jackson

3. They believe this years QB draft class is awful. I now think they will wait until the third round to grab a guy that has fallen. They have seen the tape and no QB has a first ronud grade and the glut of guys available will push several into the second round. Yes someone wil take Smith in the first round as a reach/need pick. I hope it is not us. Just because he goes in the first doesn't mean it is a good pick.

4. I suspect this means they will not sign another QB in FA. They will draft someone but I don't see Alex Smith, Drew Stanton, or anyone else showing up at OBD now.

Who cares? This team isn't going win to this year or probably another year or two after that. They are cutting players who are better at their respective positions then Fitz is at his. If they wait to replace Fitz until next year, it is just one more year before this team can even begin to be taken seriously on the offensive side of the ball.

At the risk of making you physically ill ... if the Bills draft a QB there is a good chance that Fitz (assuming they get some kind of restructure of his contract done) will be the Bills best option at QB for the upcoming season while the rookie learns. The first half of the season anyway. Like it or not, keeping Fitz at the right price this season does make sense.

And as I just replied, that $450K "savings" goes right out the window when you have to then bring in a replacement either through FA or the draft.

The $450K is only the cap savings. The actual cash savings that we won't have to pay him is over $7M.

Marrone said in his statement that he had told TJax and Fitz that there would be an open competition for the job.

1) Does that sound like the Bills are trying to coerce Fitz into restructuring?

2) Would Marrone even mention Fitz if there was some doubt about him being in the team's plans?

No one here cares about cash savings. Just cap hit.

You got that backwards. The Bills front office cares about cash savings, so that's why it matters. What doesn't matter is what anyone here cares about. We don't sell games to Toronto because the fans love it.

Edited by QCity

I think this is insurance in case Fitz doesn't restructure his contract.

I hope T. Jackson will get a chance in camp, something that he did not have last year.

This to me is a good thing. Bring in a rookie QB in the second round (Nassib or whoever) and may the best man win the job.

Marrone said in his statement that he had told TJax and Fitz that there would be an open competition for the job.

2) Would Marrone even mention Fitz if there was some doubt about him being in the team's plans?

first question...yes

second question... we will find out early next month when its time to pay Fitz that 3 million dollar bonus.

I was expecting Marrone to say that we are going to be trading with the Browns at #6 in the draft so we grab <insert desired QB name> before the Cardinals do.

I'd hope that any information given out publicly at this point could not be used to help other teams determine our plans on draft day.