Tarvaris Jackson re-signs with Bills

scurdog1

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB Jackson re-signs with Bills

“I spoke with Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and Tarvaris (Jackson) and told them we will have an open competition at the quarterback position – similar to what we will do at all positions on our team heading into our offseason work,” said Marrone.

Ummm, that does NOT sound like they are ditching Fitz. Cue the freakout.

Just how open is this competition?? I mean, should I be blowing the dust off my replica 1970's Bills Helmet with cracked foam padding and cloth chin strap and start warming up my arm??

No one here cares about cash savings. Just cap hit.

and none of here are deciding this. the people that are may care.

additionally, if we take the hit this year, we dont have to take a hit next year which a lot of fans seem to forget. keep him around and he hits atleast 2 years caps. (not advocating the cut, just pointing out some stuff)

Okay, fair enough. But the $450K they save--will they be paying more or less than that to the man they'll HAVE to replace him with.

do you not understand the difference between cap money and real money? just because they wont save much off the salary cap doesnt mean they wont save actual money. You also dont keep a player making 10.45 mil just because it will only save you 450k off the salary capFitz will be staying with the Bills after getting restructured

I've been simmering all day....you know what cutting Fitz does? It shows the good fans of this franchise that the "ceiling" of wins that piece of crap offers is not good enough. So we take the cap hit. Who cares? Is not taking the hit worth another 6 win season?

By retaining Fitz, you are already declaring "we want to pick in the top ten next year". I don't know if a rookie will be any better, but at least a rookie has room for growth. Fitzpatrick has none. Great job handling the most important position on a football team, Mr. Nix. Well done. Can't wait for the revelation that you were on Belicheck's payroll.

This team is a joke. So we have our quarterbacks for 2013. Fitz, TJax and Aaron Corps. Wow? I guess clueless Buddy Nix wanted to try to save face for giving up a draft pick for Jackson and never having him active on game day? Looks like another dismal, losing, normal Bills season in 2013. Can it get any more depressing? If it a true "open competition" like Marone says it will be, even though he sucks, TJax would beat out Fitz. Let's hope so, because if Fitz is the better of the two, God, I don't even want to think about it.

I think your post means that you're clueless. It's February 15th. There's time. If this so happens to be the only 3 QBs we have added when the season starts, it means one thing. They want a top 5 pick and to draft a QB next year. While it may be the best idea IMO, I can't envision Marrone thinking the same.

You are welcome Rainbow Randy. If Fitz does remain on the roster at his current salary, of course he will be the starter, Ralph isn't going to pay a backup that much. If anything, Jackson is a better fit for Hackett's offense then Fitz is, so hopefully this signing is the beginning of the end for Fitz. Although, they were told it was a open competition, so unless Marone's word is as believable as Buddy Nix's has been for the past 3+ years, kinda hard to compete if you aren't here?

Fritz is currently on the team, under contract. Of course he's going to say that. If he has thoughts of cutting fritz, do you think he's going to tell some reporter about it during a conversation about resigning tjack?

do you not understand the difference between cap money and real money? just because they wont save much off the salary cap doesnt mean they wont save actual money. You also dont keep a player making 10.45 mil just because it will only save you 450k off the salary capFitz will be staying with the Bills after getting restructured

That's all well and good, but from a personnel standpoint, it makes no sense to cut him before training camp. And it only makes sense to cut him DURING training camp if a rookie quarterback is as good or better.

Fitzpatrick is the best QB on the roster at the moment.

How do you know that? Head to head stats vs. TJax last year? Career winning %?

Just because Gailey refused to even consider activating TJax last season does not mean he's not an equitable or better QB. This is the same coach who, remember, was at times blatant about not giving the ball to our best offensive player. Pardon me if I don't defer my opinion to the wisdom of Chan Gailey.

Just because Gailey refused to even consider activating TJax last season does not mean he's not an equitable or better QB. This is the same coach who, remember, was at times blatant about not giving the ball to our best offensive player. Pardon me if I don't defer my opinion to the wisdom of Chan Gailey.

TJax was winded last year.

I've been simmering all day....you know what cutting Fitz does? It shows the good fans of this franchise that the "ceiling" of wins that piece of crap offers is not good enough. So we take the cap hit. Who cares? Is not taking the hit worth another 6 win season?

By retaining Fitz, you are already declaring "we want to pick in the top ten next year". I don't know if a rookie will be any better, but at least a rookie has room for growth. Fitzpatrick has none. Great job handling the most important position on a football team, Mr. Nix. Well done. Can't wait for the revelation that you were on Belicheck's payroll.

Agreed...

Though I have no idea about the Belichick thing... ;)

Great job handling the most important position on a football team, Mr. Nix. Well done. Can't wait for the revelation that you were on Belicheck's payroll.

That cheating bastard! I knew there was a reason Nix hired Gailey and gave Fitz the big contract! Well played Mr. BellyCheat ... well played.

.......Cutting him saves half a million? It just doesn't make sense to cut him - UNLESS he restructures his contract.....

Actually, it's the only logical thing to do...........unless they feel Fitz can develop into a decent starter(lol).

If Fitz doesn't restructure then we will be paying good starter money to a backup quality player.

"So what....we only save 0.45M if we cut him." I hear people(you) saying.....

If we don't cut him & don't restructure him.....we will be in a similar position regarding his situation in 2014.

In 2013 we will be paying 7.45M in cash and cop a 10.45M cap hit.....to a guy we all know can't be even a solid starter. (10M cap hit & 0.45M cap saving if we cut him).

In 2014 we will be paying 7.55M in cash and cop a 10.55M cap hit.....to a guy we all know can't be even a solid starter. (7M cap hit & 3.55M cap saving if we cut him).

Keeping him on his current contract would be pure stupidity in relation to cap management as it will mean 2 years of cap crap from Fitz instead of just one.

Why would he restructure?

He is due to be paid 7.45M this year. If he is cut he makes 0.00M.

I firmly believe that Fitz will be restructured......and will then fight it out with TJ in camp(likely for the backup role).

Edited by Dibs

The people here who are freaking out about Fitz possibly staying on the roster have themselves to blame for getting their panties in a bunch - you guys simply lack objectivity. It's the same crowd that thinks Fitz is a 3rd string QB in the NFL - no rationality whatsoever.

Come to peace with yourself the following way: There will be an open competition between QB's in the offseason to probably include, TJax, Fitz, and a rookie QB that we draft. If fitz wins that open competition under the new coach, then WTF does that say about the other QB's we have? If Fitz loses the open competition, then we have one of the better backup QB's in the league. it's really that simple.

This coaching staff has no attachment to Fitz. So if Fitz continues on this team, it's for a reason.

Maybe the most lucid post I have read in some time.

Some quick thoughts:

1. For a good team, Fitz would be the perfect backup. On a bad team like the Bills, he is a below-average starter. Still, excellent -- even better than decent -- NFL QBs do not grow on trees. There are 10-12 other teams in the NFL in a similar situation who would like to find an improvement to their existing starter. The biggest problem with Fitz is that he played for a dim-witted coach who chose to design an offensive system which highlighted his obvious weaknesses rather than marginalizing them.

2. The TJAX signing confirms what I had suspected all of last year. Chan was not involved in Jackson's acquisition -- and chose to keep him sidelined all season long rather than give him a shot at the backup (let alone the starting) position. Obviously the front office guys who liked him last year (Nix, Whaley, Brandon) still like him. We will find out eventually whether Chan was right or if the executives were right.

3. I do not see that the TJax signing changes the landscape very much in terms of the team's future plans at the QB position. Fitz is not the long term solution, but he MAY (make that probably WILL) be the starter in 2013. Recall that when the season ended, he was the ONLY QB on the roster. As it stands now, there is a good chance that both QBs make the final roster. There is also a good chance that Jackson is a roster cut if Marrone and his staff come to the same conclusion that Chan did about him. If Jackson outshines Fitz, which is not impossible since both QBs will start on a level playing field learning a new offense, there certainly is a possibility that Fitz himself gets cut. Regardless, the Bills will need to acquire at least one more QB -- and possibly two if one of these guys gets cut. They very well could still draft a QB in the first round if they see someone they really like.

I thought he wouldn't want to re-sign because they didn't activate him last season?

He is not a good QB. Doubtful his phone is ringing off the hook with offers. Has a chance to compete for starting position with Buffalo. He's probably thinking he can beat out Fitz, assuming Fitz is still here. May as well give it a go is what I'm thinking he's thinking.

Yet...through all of this practically everyone on the board thinks Alex Smith is a bad idea. I guess the answer here is FIRE EVERYBODY EARLY AND OFTEN !! Yea...thats the ticket !!

If Tjax starts for Buffalo it'll a game or two for these "experts" to say coulda..shoulda....woulda.

For this year Alex is our best option. (if he's available) . I wouldn't touch any of the QB's in this draft until round 4 or later. Develop them behind Alex for a year or two. But thats just me.

jb

He is not a good QB. Doubtful his phone is ringing off the hook with offers. Has a chance to compete for starting position with Buffalo. He's probably thinking he can beat out Fitz, assuming Fitz is still here. May as well give it a go is what I'm thinking he's thinking.

Yet...through all of this practically everyone on the board thinks Alex Smith is a bad idea. I guess the answer here is FIRE EVERYBODY EARLY AND OFTEN !! Yea...thats the ticket !!

If Tjax starts for Buffalo it'll a game or two for these "experts" to say coulda..shoulda....woulda.

For this year Alex is our best option. (if he's available) . I wouldn't touch any of the QB's in this draft until round 4 or later. Develop them behind Alex for a year or two. But thats just me.

jb

I'd take Alex Smith over Ryan Fitzpatrick a million times out of a million.

Some quick thoughts:

1. For a good team, Fitz would be the perfect backup. On a bad team like the Bills, he is a below-average starter. Still, excellent -- even better than decent -- NFL QBs do not grow on trees. There are 10-12 other teams in the NFL in a similar situation who would like to find an improvement to their existing starter. The biggest problem with Fitz is that he played for a dim-witted coach who chose to design an offensive system which highlighted his obvious weaknesses rather than marginalizing them.

2. The TJAX signing confirms what I had suspected all of last year. Chan was not involved in Jackson's acquisition -- and chose to keep him sidelined all season long rather than give him a shot at the backup (let alone the starting) position. Obviously the front office guys who liked him last year (Nix, Whaley, Brandon) still like him. We will find out eventually whether Chan was right or if the executives were right.

3. I do not see that the TJax signing changes the landscape very much in terms of the team's future plans at the QB position. Fitz is not the long term solution, but he MAY (make that probably WILL) be the starter in 2013. Recall that when the season ended, he was the ONLY QB on the roster. As it stands now, there is a good chance that both QBs make the final roster. There is also a good chance that Jackson is a roster cut if Marrone and his staff come to the same conclusion that Chan did about him. If Jackson outshines Fitz, which is not impossible since both QBs will start on a level playing field learning a new offense, there certainly is a possibility that Fitz himself gets cut. Regardless, the Bills will need to acquire at least one more QB -- and possibly two if one of these guys gets cut. They very well could still draft a QB in the first round if they see someone they really like.

Some quick thoughts:

Fitz has maxed out at 6 wins. There zero reason to keep him. Zero

I'd take Alex Smith over Ryan Fitzpatrick a million times out of a million.

Yup....and if this competition for starter is between Fitz and Tjax which is being reported, we'll be watching yet another Bills-less playoff season. I seriously doubt we've heard the end of personnel developments (forthcoming) at the QB position. I'd rather watch Fitz than Tjax or any of the duds in this draft at starter for 2013.

jb

Fitz has maxed out at 6 wins.

.................with the #31 ranked defense in the league and no wide receivers. Not bad, really.

You guys really crack me up.

I'm loving this. People get so fired up they can't even think straight.

You guys really crack me up.

I'm loving this. People get so fired up they can't even think straight.

What part of my post was "not thinking straight" besides my tongue in cheek reference to Belicheck?

Edited by Marauder24

Fitz has maxed out at 6 wins. There zero reason to keep him. Zero

What reason is there to keep anyone on our defense?

Adrian peterson carried ponder into the playoffs. Cj coudnt do that - let's cut him too.

And freddy as well - he had more fumbles in 2012 than TD's

What part of my post was "not thinking straight" besides my tongue in cheek reference to Belicheck?

Sorry man, I didn't mean that post for u..it was for everyone.

Yup....and if this competition for starter is between Fitz and Tjax which is being reported, we'll be watching yet another Bills-less playoff season. I seriously doubt we've heard the end of personnel developments (forthcoming) at the QB position. I'd rather watch Fitz than Tjax or any of the duds in this draft at starter for 2013.

jb

Not that bad. You set a very low bar.

.................with the #31 ranked defense in the league and no wide receivers. Not bad, really.

What reason is there to keep anyone on our defense?

Adrian peterson carried ponder into the playoffs. Cj coudnt do that - let's cut him too.

And freddy as well - he had more fumbles in 2012 than TD's

Sorry man, I didn't mean that post for u..it was for everyone.

Not sure what to say. Clearly there are players worth keeping on defense ,just not enough. The quarterback is garbage. You can not win when e ery team know you can't complete a deep ball.

Not sure what to say. The quarterback is garbage. You can not win when e ery team know you can't complete a deep ball.

Not to worry. We just re-signed Tarvaris Jackson. I read here on this board that he's a great QB. So...just like Snopes, it must be true. Right ?

See you in the Fall.

No signs of intelligent life here, Kirk out !

jb

The people here who are freaking out about Fitz possibly staying on the roster have themselves to blame for getting their panties in a bunch - you guys simply lack objectivity. It's the same crowd that thinks Fitz is a 3rd string QB in the NFL - no rationality whatsoever.

Come to peace with yourself the following way: There will be an open competition between QB's in the offseason to probably include, TJax, Fitz, and a rookie QB that we draft. If fitz wins that open competition under the new coach, then WTF does that say about the other QB's we have? If Fitz loses the open competition, then we have one of the better backup QB's in the league. it's really that simple.

This coaching staff has no attachment to Fitz. So if Fitz continues on this team, it's for a reason.

Perhaps I lack objectivity because I have actually seen Fitzpatrick play. If this team has any chance of turning things around, he absolutely can not be the starting QB. He has demonstrated that he cannot perform consistently, he is incredibly inaccurate and he makes mistakes that cost the team wins. If he stays as a backup and emergency starter, then fine, but otherwise he should not be on the roster. If he starts, I can absolutely guarantee this team will have another losing season. And that guarantee comes from actually watching him perform over two plus seasons.

For all his faults, TJ is still the best QB on the roster.

Finally we've got our answer............... As shown last season by this 3 team flop TJ. Yes, all of our QB's suck, I get that. Two words. Alex Smith. Cut Thigpen. Cut TJ. Fitz be the backup....after re-structured deal, . Nassib et al be the Taxi squad-er.

Make no bones about it fellas. This is gonna be another tough season. Book it.

jb

Finally we've got our answer............... As shown last season by this 3 team flop TJ. Yes, all of our QB's suck, I get that. Two words. Alex Smith. Cut Thigpen. Cut TJ. Fitz be the backup....after re-structured deal, . Nassib et al be the Taxi squad-er.

Make no bones about it fellas. This is gonna be another tough season. Book it.

jb

cant book it until we see who gets picked at #8. Geno or Barkley could possibly bring something positive to this team. I wouldn't cry if we traded up for top WR after that. Defense all free agents and picks 4 and above. Lock the offense in hit the next draft hard on defense. Hopkins, Austin in trade up to late 1st round or Swope later in draft would be awesome IMO.

Stevie and (1st round qb) need another weapon.

Edited by Ryan L Billz