Does Kelsay get cut now?

kelsay cut   

175 members have voted

1. 1. does Kelsay get cut?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand the rush to cut a back up DE who is a solid all around player.

I don't think that it's because Kelsay is bad. I think the problem is that he isn't great, and commands a high salary for a backup DE when we already have WIlliams, Anderson, Merriman and Moore. Marrone just showed his willingness to cut less cap impactful players in areas where we were already frighteningly thin so it seems somewhat mystifying that Kelsay isn't part of the movement.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I don't think that it's because Kelsay is bad. I think the problem is that he isn't great, and commands a high salary for a backup DE when we already have WIlliams, Anderson, Merriman and Moore. Marrone just showed his willingness to cut less cap impactful players in areas where we were already frighteningly thin so it seems somewhat mystifying that Kelsay isn't part of the movement.

Day's not over yet.

I laugh. Kelsay has survived how many coaching changes. he is no superstar but he does the intangibles well enough.

If coach after coach retians him then time for some fans to admit they are worng about Kelsay

Its such a mystery, Kelsay is overpaid based off of his performance yet he sticks around through multiple regimes. If the Bills are up against the cap and they don't cut Kelsay they are morons.

I'll say this - if you're going to cut a guy like Kelsay, who would, I'd guess, play in about 30% of the snaps, while making close to 4-5 million a year, are you going to find another F.A. for equal or lesser money who would make more of an impact? Maybe - but, my guess is, with a draft like this one, where the D-line is so deep, you could draft a guy or two in the mid rounds and pay him less than a million a year, and with that kind of player you have the potential to strike gold. I believe that is where this defense is headed this year - out with the old, in with young players who are hungry, athletic, and if we bring in enough, some of them should stick.

I think Merriman is a free agent, and most consider his reliability to be questionable. I think Williams, Anderson, Moore, Kelsay make a good rotation, and if we aren't hurting for money, we shouldn't rock the boat in that regard.

Don't understand the rush to cut a back up DE who is a solid all around player.

Theres alot of things I don't understand around here, except I understand people here hate Kelsay with a passion because he isn't a starter

People here hate role players because they feel that everyone should be a pro bowl caliber starter or not on the team

perhaps it depends on if he is willing to restrcture his contract. He is a solid backup, but is making way too much for a backup. We need cap space to bring in a guy like Kugler (sp) after signing Byrd and Levitre (if we can, but seems like he may want to be overpaid).

Kelsay told AP today that he was cleared to resume practicing after being examined by Bills doctors last month.

http://sports.yahoo....25399--nfl.html

jw

Thanks for the update JW. Any chance he is in a 'restructure or your gone' sort of situation. Or that they are releasing this info in hopes or trading him? (for what I don't know).

Theres alot of things I don't understand around here, except I understand people here hate Kelsay with a passion because he isn't a starter

People here hate role players because they feel that everyone should be a pro bowl caliber starter or not on the team

For a fan base of a team that holds the current record for post season futility. Any player is fair game. This team is stuffed full of mediocre or worse, both starters and backups. Kelsay at 5 million a year even as a backup, is fair game. really, players like him are the reason the team sucks. Nice guy, cool lunch pails whatever. It is what it is.

Kelsay's backup role began just last season. before that he was on the suckiest D-lines in franchise history. Just like last years.

I think Merriman is a free agent, and most consider his reliability to be questionable. I think Williams, Anderson, Moore, Kelsay make a good rotation, and if we aren't hurting for money, we shouldn't rock the boat in that regard.

need more money. Anderson was a total bust even before getting injured, Moore I think can be a very good starter opposite Williams, but not enough body of work to prove that yet, Kelsay is average and costs too much. I'd rather cut him, keep Anderson and Moore (who is a FA btw) and sign a LB and safety.

They hate him because he is a symbol of the losing. He is going to be 34 this year, he only played in 9 games last year with 14 total tackles. He has long been a lousy run defender, simply can't set the edge, and his modest pass rush ability just doesn't justify keeping him.

perhaps it depends on if he is willing to restrcture his contract. He is a solid backup, but is making way too much for a backup. We need cap space to bring in a guy like Kugler (sp) after signing Byrd and Levitre (if we can, but seems like he may want to be overpaid).

Thanks for the update JW. Any chance he is in a 'restructure or your gone' sort of situation. Or that they are releasing this info in hopes or trading him? (for what I don't know).

Kelsay released this info after I spoke to him. He's working out and approaching it as if he's going to be back, while aware that the decision is not entirely his.

jw