Does Kelsay get cut now?

kelsay cut   

175 members have voted

1. 1. does Kelsay get cut?

For those that still cling to the idea that CK is "solid" or "not a bad player" good for you guys, i guess. I'm certainly not one of them, but we've had this argument innumerable times here already.

He's been a starter or main rotational guy on some of the worst defenses this team has ever fielded. In my opinion, he's been a key contributor to those tirefires and has always failed to play with the on-the-field discipline requisite to his position, especially for a veteran of his age and experience.

Cutting him now doesn't really help the cap situation that much, true. Honestly I could care less what they do with the guy now, he should've been cut long ago.

A competent GM can do a lot with $4.175 million. Cutting Barnett, Wilson, and McGee each saved less money than that, and all 3 of those players are better than Kelsay.

I can see the argument for keeping Fitz and Brad Smith, but there really isn't one for paying a mediocre 33 year old backup DE $5 million/year. The only one remaining is that he's a great locker room cheerleader, but I wonder how positive an effect this has had when the defense has finished among the worst in franchise history for the past 3 seasons.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A competent GM can do a lot with $4.175 million. Cutting Barnett, Wilson, and McGee each saved less money than that, and all 3 of those players are better than Kelsay.

I can see the argument for keeping Fitz and Brad Smith, but there really isn't one for paying a mediocre 33 year old backup DE $5 million/year. The only one remaining is that he's a great locker room cheerleader, but I wonder how positive an effect this has had when the defense has finished among the worst in franchise history for the past 3 seasons.

Great point MM. In the hands of a competent front office, every bit of extra $ room helps.

I dont doubt that they do, and rightfully so! :thumbsup:

Question is what do you pay him, just as it was with D Bell. Moore probably wants to see what the open market holds for him while the Bills want to pay him what they see - a backup DE with some promise. And that's assuming Pettine sees a role for him in the defense which may not be a given.

So really, what do you have at DE? Williams, Anderson and Kelsay. Maybe some other players depending how Pettine stacks them, maybe a rookie or a FA.

Think many posters can not differentiate between players they do not like and players who coaches do not want on the team.

Pettine had many opportunities to see players play on defense for Bills to help him determine whether players fit in scheme he wishes to run.

Think many posters can not differentiate between players they do not like and players who coaches do not want on the team.

Pettine had many opportunities to see players play on defense for Bills to help him determine whether players fit in scheme he wishes to run.

This is true.

The fact that Kelsay remains after Barnett, Wilson, and McGee were released tells me that the new regime wants Kelsay as part of their team.

While I find that personally disturbing, I believe they've made up their minds on him.

This is true.

The fact that Kelsay remains after Barnett, Wilson, and McGee were released tells me that the new regime wants Kelsay as part of their team.

While I find that personally disturbing, I believe they've made up their minds on him.

I've been doing a bit of thinking about Kelsay recently. As I've said before, I am no judge of player ability(which is why I never make comment on it).....so I tend to rely on the opinions of others, statistics & general logic to assess in my own mind if a player is good/average/bad etc.

The thing I believe that has occurred with Kelsay is that Bills fans judge him from the expectations of a #1 DE. Correct me if I'm wrong but Kelsay has never been slated as the #1 DE on the team.....always the #2 guy. If he was a very good DE.....and was more athletic....made more plays....fewer errors.....he would be the #1 DE.

When compared with the other 31 teams' #2 DEs, Kelsay appears to be roughly in the middle of the pack. There are a good third of teams that have obviously superior #2 DEs.....but there are also about a third who have obviously inferior #2 DEs.

As he isn't the #1 DE on the team, he should be compared to his other #2 DE peers....which places him as a solid starter and certainly somebody who you would want to keep on your roster(based on the fact that solid starters are not easily replaced).

If you(or others reading or doubting this) can be bothered, check out the other 31 rosters & their #2 DEs. If you disagree with my assessment, let me know.

While Kelsay doesn't really excel at anything, he's still the most complete 4-3 end, other than Mario, on the team. Since this team will certainly play a lot of 4 man fronts, it makes sense that they would like to keep him until they have someone better to fill his shoes.

Crazy as this sounds, with Barnett gone he may be the best OLB currently on the roster too. I'd be surprised but not shocked if they use him there again

The Bills may be looking to re-negotiate Kelsay's contract to something like $2m a year. That is why he is still on the team. He is adequate back-up material. If CK balks at the pay-cut, then he will be released

This is one possible explanation for him still loitering around on the roster.

The other possible explanation is that they plan on seeing how capable he is during workouts before making a final decision.

I guess he was only recently cleared to work out again.