New gun control thread!

Firearms, Kings, and the Emergence of the Peaceful Life
Over at the Adam Smith Institute, Kate Andrews offers up a provocative post. “Make Britain safer,” she cries. ”Bring back handguns.”
In proposing this course, Andrews is relying heavily on a study that purports to show that the introduction of firearms into the civilized world over the past eight hundred years has been instrumental in reducing violent crime. The bottom line: The paper, “Firearms and the Decline of Violence in Europe: 1200-2010”, finds that the sudden historical drops in crime are consistent with the “invention and proliferation of compact, concealable, ready-to-use firearms” which “caused potential assailants to recalculate the probability of a successful assault and seek alternatives to violence.” And unlike the civilizing process theory, Moody’s firearms theory remains consistent with the evidence and breaks in violence. As concealed weapons became more available historically, crime rate dropped radically This chart represents the drop in homicides specifically:
Chart at link:.....{snip}
Again: This is not to say that “more guns equals less crime.” But it is to refute once again the nonsensical suggestion that there is a hard link between the number of a firearms in a given country and the instances of criminal abuse. As the Bureau of Justice Statistics recorded in 2013, “the U.S. homicide rate declined by nearly half (49%), from 9.3 homicides per 100,000 U.S. residents in 1992 to 4.7 in 2011, falling to the lowest level since 1963.” In roughly that time, it is estimated that the number of privately owned firearms in the United States has gone from 192 million (in 1994) to 310 million (in 2012), and that the laws governing their use have been loosened in almost every state.
Did they increase cause the decline in crime? I honestly have no idea. But it certainly didn’t bring about an increase, either. Perhaps, ’twas ever thus.

Maybe if this woman was packing we'd not be on the hook for housing, feeding, clothing and providing medical care for the rest of the life of this useless POS.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/02/08/dominos-delivery-woman-kidnapped-raped-at-gunpoint-after-antioch-delivery/

carrying a gun guarantees the holder absolutely nothing

it's pure speculation that it would have saved her.

I'm not saying that it couldn't have helped her. just that it may not have

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/18/flintlock-from-1700s-could-land-elderly-nj-man-in-prison/

A retired teacher is facing 10 years in prison and the loss of his state pension for possessing a flintlock pistol that may not have been fired since George Washington was alive, his attorney told FoxNews.com on Wednesday.

One more reason not to live in NJ.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Chance favors the prepared...

prepared (carrying) does not = success. how many police shooting videos have you watched were they fire off 5 or more rounds and the perp is hit once or twice?

wouldn't a can of pepper spray have saved her as well?

I own 3 guns I still feel that there is no guarantee.

the #1 rule of owning a gun. Shoot to Kill

if that isn't your # 1 goal then you fail from the get go.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

prepared (carrying) does not = success. how many police shooting videos have you watched were they fire off 5 or more rounds and the perp is hit once or twice?

No one said "carrying guarantees success." The only guarantee in those situations is when you have no way to defend yourself. You're guaranteed to be a victim. Many people choose that avenue based on their beliefs or level of indoctrination.

I don't care about police success. The vast majority of police officers in this world lack the necessary training to deal with a real world shooting situation. That's not news. The best guarantee that Police Departments nation-wide can give you is they won't be anywhere around if you're in a victim situation. Statistically that can't be debated.

Concealed carry isn't going to get rid of violent crime. As long as there are people in the world willing to commit violent crimes, the rights of the individual to defend themselves in a commensurate manner is fundamental and non-negotiable.

Do you go to the range stoned too? :rolleyes:

The vast majority of police officers in this world lack the necessary training to deal with a real world shooting situation.

OMG !!!!! did you really post that in all seriousness? yet you expect EVERY Joe or Josephine Blow to be better trained than Police officers?

WOW whatever you guys are smoking / snorting. PLEASE share it with me!!!

shoot to stop? please tell me you aren't just trolling?

Stop then how? shoot then in both arms before they get a chance to shoot back?

One shot One kill. If you believe otherwise I'll pray for your soul if you were to get into a gun fight.

s_safetyrules.jpg1656187_10152251909305879_1078727570_n.j

OMG !!!!! did you really post that in all seriousness? yet you expect EVERY Joe or Josephine Blow to be better trained than Police officers?

WOW whatever you guys are smoking / snorting. PLEASE share it with me!!!

shoot to stop? please tell me you aren't just trolling?

Stop then how? shoot then in both arms before they get a chance to shoot back?

One shot One kill. If you believe otherwise I'll pray for your soul if you were to get into a gun fight.

s_safetyrules.jpg1656187_10152251909305879_1078727570_n.j

One shot one kill? Nice knowing ya. Take a course or two before you say dumb ****.

Oh and by the way was at the range last weekend and the range master said cops are typically some of the worst shots.

Edited by Chef Jim

One shot one kill? Nice knowing ya. Take a course or two before you say dumb ****.

Oh and by the way was at the range last weekend and the range master said cops are typically some of the worst shots.

Reminds me of this (NSFW language)

are you guys that dumb or do you just love to troll?

No you have it wrong it's nice knowing you, because if you can't keep the other gunman from shooting back you have failed!!!

--- and what do they tell you at the range?

Keep your gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.

Can I ask .. do you practice good gun safety?