So Ray Lewis may have taken a banned substance

The Poojer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this one on NFLN - not sure what to make of it:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/01/29/ray-lewis-ravens-deny-deer-antler-spray-report/?sct=uk_t2_a3

He was allegedly using deer antler spray from a company called S.W.A.T.S.? Strange. Though seems like deers antler spray would be easy to get and abundant in WNY!

One thing is for sure Mitch Ross (SWATS owner) is an interesting character peddling some out-there stuff.

Here's a 2011 article on Ross and his magic "chips" (with some Ray Lewis mentions)

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201104/tpg-exclusive-auburn-tied-controversial-supplement-company

I think *I* need these things!

Supposedly the same stuff Melky Cabrera was using. I think it's supposed to promote faster healing and not muscle mass. I don't find that particular kind of "PED" that big of a deal, but let's not kid ourselves that these guys are generally trying to get whatever edge is available to them.

The outrage is laughable, people are mad Lewis isn't going to get punished for it. But how can you punish a guy who is retiring and using the appeals process to keep it from keeping him out of the super bowl? Its his last game you can't keep him out of it unless you have full proof evidence and it complies with the appeals process.

in his recovery from his torn bicep...something in deer velvet antler extract.....the evidence looks pretty damning to me

The substance does nothing to enhance performance, but allegedly can help heal faster. Its readily available over the counter. it is however a banned substance by the NFL although I don't really see why if it just helps heal faster. We give athletes all kinds of stuff to heal faster every day, so why ban an over the counter substance that does the same thing? Regardless, its still banned...so we will see how this plays out. Makes sense he would use it, trying to comeback for what will be the last games of his career. Then again, everyone condemned Merriman with the whole over the border thing alleging he had steroids again and was using them and yet nothing ever came of that. So who knows...

FWIW, the banned substance Ray is suspected of using is a substance that is tested for, and as of today, Ray has never failed a test nor tested positive for it or any other PEDs. Another reason I will wait before I pass judgement. Like I said earlier, everyone was ready to condemn Merriman for some alleged border incident yet it turned out to be nothing and Merriman has not had any recent failed PED tests either.