Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

May be the Bills are trying to get Raiders and Jax to pick Flynn so that they get a clear cut shot at Geno Smith.

+1

Pretty much like "expressing interest" in Alex Smith. There may be genuine interest in Flynn, but if the demands in return for Flynn are steep the Bills may be attempting to pressure another organization into making a deal for Flynn.

Honestly, any time a QB hits the open market, organizations like KC and Buffalo are thrown out there- I wonder how much of this information is credible and how much is just pure conjecture.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't he a better option than any of the QB's in this class tho?

I don't think so. There is no more evidence that Matt Flynn can be a quality starter than for any of the rookies. In fact, it could be argued that after 5 years in the NFL, there is adequate evidence to suggest he is a career back up. If you are looking for a veteran to compete with Jackson and a rookie to buy time for a rookie to learn, why give up a draft pick of any kind for this guy when Kolb is available as a free agent and has much more of a track record.

on the flip side, they took him in the 7th, set kepp him as the backup over the guy they took in the 2nd. does that not say a lot more than the fact they let him go? what else were they going to do, franchise him when they had Aaron Rodgers? not beating out the best QB in the league is hardly shameful. and not beating out Russell Wilson is not shameful either. if they see as much upside in a guy they can get for a 5th rounder maybe as a guy that would take a 2nd rounder in the draft, then i'd say that is why they are "wasting" their time with him. i mean, they are working out Landry Jones for crying out loud.. LANDRY JONES! it's obvious they are leaving no stone unturned, so why not check under this one?

:thumbsup:

My first choice is to bite the bullet and let a rookie play, otherwise wait for Oakland to cut Carson Palmer. Don't trade a draft pick for a QB.

Probably a good idea. Oakland has made it known they are not going to pay him his contracted amount, and are willing to cut him. If Palmer becomes available, he would be worth an interview. He had a great start to his career. Oakland gave up a ton to get him.

I want to start my comments by stating that I'm not challenging anyone's enthusiasm as a fan. However, if you look at this in the context of just recent history, it does not bode well for the Bills to go after Flynn. Let's break it down a little bit. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a backup on another team. 4 years and a lot of interceptions later, he really didn't get it done for us. Before that, they got another journeyman in Kelly Holcomb. Washed out in a year. Before that we had Bledsoe. He had 1 good year out of three. Before that, it was Doug Flutie. I liked Flutie and he at least made the playoffs a couple of seasons. Still, he was a retread. Matt Flynn has Rob Johnson written all over him. Did he have 2 good games for Green Bay? Sure, but in those games he took 12 sacks. Let's not forget that Robo-sack Johnson took 6 in his one good game for Jacksonville before the Bills rolled out the red carpet.

I'm not saying definitively that Matt Flynn will not be successful in the NFL. I just have to look back the last 10 years to ask myself a couple of questions. Would we as fans be happier had the Bills drafted Josh Freeman instead of Aaron Maybin. Joe Flacco instead of Leodis McKelvin. Jay Cutler instead of Donte Whitner. Last and probably the biggest of them all, we gave up our draft pick the following year to move up to take J.P. Losman. We would have been in a position to draft Aaron Rodgers. This team has been rolling the dice trying to fix the team with stop gap quarterbacks and hand me downs and giving up draft picks. For once I would like to see them address the most important position on the field with the best player they can get in the draft.

Uggghh. Everything in your post is heavily skewed toward your opinion of not wanting Flynn. Fine. Just say that then.

I did. In my very first response - "Trade for a QB who lost his job to a 3rd round rookie ? No thanks."

Wait I thought they "jettisoned" him, which implies he was cut? His contract was up and although I'm certain Green Bay would love to have him, he wasn't going to re-sign to be a backup. Also GB wasn't going to pay him the starter money another team would to sit the bench.

We can argue semantics. But Green Bay did not retain him. And now Seattle is most definitely getting rid of him. I have not read if they tried to re-structure his contract or just simply wanting to see if they can get a draft pick out of him.

I don't know, why would we give up a high draft pick and waste our time with [insert college QB]?

Are you arguing against drafting a QB at all ? Flynn's games have been underwhelming. He has already been evaluated by two teams and rated as nothing more than a backup. OTOH, Geno Smith and Barkley are being given high grades by scouts and talent evaluators. Hence, picking a highly rated prospect would not be a waste of time.

I am done with this argument.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

My first choice is to bite the bullet and let a rookie play, otherwise wait for Oakland to cut Carson Palmer. Don't trade a draft pick for a QB.

Worst idea ever and a GREAT way to ruin a career. There's not one QB in this year's draft that's ready to start day one.

At the time the switch was made, Wilson was a rookie and not a pro-bowler. Flynn is being jettisoned by his second team now. DOesn't that tell us all something about his prospects ? Do we need yet another stop-gap performer who may or may not be better than Fitz.

And, please make your point without changing the wording in my post.

Well....honeslty, "being jettisoned by his second team" is kind of a mis-characterization. He wasn't going to beat Aaron Rogers out any time soon for playing time, and the Packers, realizing they are set at QB, didn't want to pay him what it would take to keep him, when his contract was up. And, yeah, he did get beat out by Ryan Wilson. But, as I recall, during pre-season, the perception was that Flynn wasn't outplayed that badly by Wilson, just that Wilson played far above expectations, and Carroll decided to roll with him. During the first half of the season, there were still those who thought that Flynn should be starting over Wilson. I don't see the Seahawks willingness to trade Flynn as anything more than a team realizing they have a valuable commodity on their hands, and they feel they should cash it in now, for the future of their franchise.

All that said, I wouldn't be upset if the Bills made this move. To those saying Flynn is "unproven" I would suggest, none of the Bills other options will likely be any more proven...and the guy has been in the leauge for a few years...we have seen, for every guy who is great out of the box (RGIII, Luck, Cam) there are still those guys who get better with time, and opportunity (Aaron Rogers, Alex Smith, etc). I just don't see that trading for Flynn is a much larger gamble than drafting a guy in the first round of the draft, particualarly, when we seem to need a QB in a year when there is not one QB prospect who is a conscnesious NFL starter in 2013.

Of course, the decision making process will all come down to cost, just as it did for the Packers and Seahawks in giving up on Flynn.

Edited by Buftex

Isn't he a better option than any of the QB's in this class tho?

Probably, The questions are what do you have to give up? Is he going to get you deep into the playoffs.? I think the answers are too much and no.

I am done with this argument.

Smartest thing you've said in this thread. lol at "semantics" and "underwhelming." The man has had two career starts, and his performance in both has been extraordinary (He almost beat the Pats in his 1st start and his 2nd game with 6 TDs would be record-breaking I believe). I don't think anyone is questioning his performance in his starts. The knock on him is that there isn't enough tape to tell if he's for real - and that's the big question here and my biggest concern. He's not as good as Aaron Rogers and Russell Wilson, that's all we can infer from his current backup status.

I am with you here, just play it out. I would try to trade down from 8 if there is an option to get an extra pick.

Probably a good idea. Oakland has made it known they are not going to pay him his contracted amount, and are willing to cut him. If Palmer becomes available, he would be worth an interview. He had a great start to his career. Oakland gave up a ton to get him.

The Bills could attempt to sign Palmer (a proven starters rather than trade draft picks for Flynn), who should be serviceable behind a half-way decent offensive line along with a good set of running backs. This while keeping your sights on the draft to bring in a potential QB for the future in either the 2013 or 2014 drafts and provide some flexibility to look at BPA at positions of need throughout the draft process.

I would offer a conditional 2014 pick. Make it a 4th rounder that can be as high as a 2 if he starts and plays well. That seems fair to both sides. His contract isn't bad as a thought ($5.25 salary this yr, $6.25next with $2m in makeable incentives if starts and plays well). Seems like a reasonable risk for the Bills. Then I would still pick a QB in Rd2-3. I would be very happy with our QB situation heading into camp with Flynn, TJax and Nassib/Manuel. Open competition. Let the best man win. Hell, if they bring him in and he sucks, they cold cut him and not spend a penny (obviously they would lose the draft pick)

This seems like an ideal trade. Someone will give up too much for him though. Which is also okay because it increases the odds that we get whoever we want at #8.

Worst idea ever and a GREAT way to ruin a career. There's not one QB in this year's draft that's ready to start day one.

Statements like this are very frustrating. How the hell do you know that none of the QBs in this draft are ready to start? Nobody thought Wilson was ready to start last year, but he did and did well. That is why you try to acquire as many solid prospects as you can and let them compete for jobs. The best ones start. Trade for Flynn with a pick from 2014. Draft a rookie. Let them compete with TJax in the offseason and the best one start Week 1.

I did. In my very first response - "Trade for a QB who lost his job to a 3rd round rookie ? No thanks."

Right, the guy should be ignored for losing his job to one of nine rookie quarterbacks to make the Pro Bowl...ever. Good point.

I'm glad you're "done." Your argument is bogus!

I am with you here, just play it out. I would try to trade down from 8 if there is an option to get an extra pick.

The real question there is with who? You have to find a team with a very specific need that will be addressed by the 8th pick in order to provide the incentive to get them to move. As hard as I look at where the Bills are and who's going to likely still be on the board at that time, I can't find a suitor that makes sense. It's a nice idea and works on Madden every time, but not in real life.