Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time the switch was made, Wilson was a rookie and not a pro-bowler. Flynn is being jettisoned by his second team now. DOesn't that tell us all something about his prospects ? Do we need yet another stop-gap performer who may or may not be better than Fitz.

And, please make your point without changing the wording in my post.

Please explain this comment "At the time the switch was made, Wilson was a rookie and not a pro-bowler."

So in your mind, Wilson wasn't playing at a Pro Bowl level until they announced that he made the Pro Bowl??? what????

My point is your hyperbole is hysterical. Jettisoned by his second team? Is that the other one with a Pro Bowl QB? Or is he an All Pro?

If you can't search the first two pages for a thread of similar nature on exactly the same subject you should get a 3 day ban. Its killing the board.

I think sometimes people weigh-in like it's a form of balloting which I somewhat understand although if someone perfectly expresses your sentiment, you should just quote their post.

What bothers me more than repeating the same idea (already expressed) is when someone posts an opinion without addressing any of the legit counter-opinions already expressed.

IMO, a discussion should move forward and when it's done moving forward it should end. Unfortunately many of our discussions just go around in circles with the same viewpoints being recycled on page 10 as were expressed on page 1.

And with opposing viewpoints not addressed.

If you can't search the first two pages for a thread of similar nature on exactly the same subject you should get a 3 day ban. Its killing the board.

ha, i can't remember the last time i went to page 2.

anyways, i think this is at least worth looking into, and not surprised. it seems they are saving cap room for something, and even their words said they hadn't ruled out finding a QB in trade... this being the obvious choice.

he is NOT as unproven as draft picks, as he's been in the league and played well. he brings knowledge of GB offense and Seattle offense. i would not say he "lost his job" to a rookie as it was deemed an open competition right from the start and i think we could see why Wilson won it. this means of course he is not as good as WIlson and we'd be settling this year, but may not be a bad bridge.. we draft one late too, and if neither works out we have no high round pick invested, so can take one in the first next year like some people want anyway.

as for leverage, everyone knows Seattle wants their backup to be more like Wilson so they don't have to change the offense, much like SF and Kaepernick/Smith.. and that they don't want to pay the backup 10x what the starter is making, so i don't think it would take much. they may be holding out for now, but in the end i would guess he's gone for around a 5th round pick is all.

Please explain this comment "At the time the switch was made, Wilson was a rookie and not a pro-bowler."

So in your mind, Wilson wasn't playing at a Pro Bowl level until they announced that he made the Pro Bowl??? what????

My point is your hyperbole is hysterical. Jettisoned by his second team? Is that the other one with a Pro Bowl QB? Or is he an All Pro?

Let us try this one more time. You re-worded my post to say "Trade for a QB who lost his job to a Pro Bowl QB?". First of all, those were NOT my words. Secondly, you are implying that a pro-bowl QB came in and took away Flynn's job. Peter Caroll evaluated the rookie Wilson to be a better QB than Flynn and made him a starter. Wilson had perhaps one of the best low-round rookie seasons ever which points to the correctness of Caroll's decision.

Now, Green Bay picked him in the 7th round and then did not retain him. He went to Seattle, his second team, which is now trying to get rid of him.

And we already had Fitz we were unhappy with and TJackson - both of who may not be too different from Flynn in terms of production. Why would we give up a draft pick and waste our time with Flynn ?

Am I the only one who loves this website but whose biggest pet peeve is on a thread like this when someone comes out and says something to the effect of, "NOOOOOOOOOO! What a disaster, etc. He's obviously going to be worse than player X!!!!!"

Look, the fact of the matter is WE DON'T KNOW. It is a crapshoot. From what he's shown, he's looked excellent. In fact, he even looked good in the preseason last year, but Seattle wisely saw that the future was with Wilson and wanted to embrace the future now (then).

For those of you who are a little newer, do you know how many people posted on here, "HAAAAAA!!!!!! Carolina, what a bunch of idiots! I can't believe they took Cam Newton. I am certain that he is going to be horrendous!!!!!"

Again, I'm not saying Matt Flynn is the answer, but there is more luck involved than anything. For those of you certain as to whether or not it would work, you are only fooling yourselves because you certainly don't know more about football than I do, and I don't know.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Am I the only one who loves this website but whose biggest pet peeve is on a thread like this when someone comes out and says something to the effect of, "NOOOOOOOOOO! What a disaster, etc. He's obviously going to be worse than player X!!!!!"

Look, the fact of the matter is WE DON'T KNOW. It is a crapshoot. From what he's shown, he's looked excellent. In fact, he even looked good in the preseason last year, but Seattle wisely saw that the future was with Wilson and wanted to embrace the future now (then).

For those of you who are a little newer, do you know how many people posted on here, "HAAAAAA!!!!!! Carolina, what a bunch of idiots! I can't believe they took Cam Newton. I am certain that he is going to be horrendous!!!!!"

Again, I'm not saying Matt Flynn is the answer, but there is more luck involved than anything. For those of you certain as to whether or not it would work, you are only fooling yourselves because you certainly don't know more about football than I do, and I don't know.

It's a pattern. How many one game wonders amount to anything? The Bills settle for journeyman or FA at the most important position in sports. History shows the most good to great QBs are drafted. The Bills never draft QBs high. We have terrible QBs for over a decade. Why do you think that is? And that's why I hate the thought of Matt Flynn.

Again, I invite you all to check out Ryan Fitzpatrick's 1st career start (as a rookie no less). It is easy to surprise a team with no film on you. But when teams have film to prepare for you, they adjust. It's pretty much the Mike Vick idea. He lights up teams at first and then defenses adjust and he becomes an average at best QB.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Let us try this one more time. You re-worded my post to say "Trade for a QB who lost his job to a Pro Bowl QB?". First of all, those were NOT my words. Secondly, you are implying that a pro-bowl QB came in and took away Flynn's job. Peter Caroll evaluated the rookie Wilson to be a better QB than Flynn and made him a starter. Wilson had perhaps one of the best low-round rookie seasons ever which points to the correctness of Caroll's decision.

Now, Green Bay picked him in the 7th round and then did not retain him. He went to Seattle, his second team, which is now trying to get rid of him.

And we already had Fitz we were unhappy with and TJackson - both of who may not be too different from Flynn in terms of production. Why would we give up a draft pick and waste our time with Flynn ?

on the flip side, they took him in the 7th, set kepp him as the backup over the guy they took in the 2nd. does that not say a lot more than the fact they let him go? what else were they going to do, franchise him when they had Aaron Rodgers? not beating out the best QB in the league is hardly shameful. and not beating out Russell Wilson is not shameful either. if they see as much upside in a guy they can get for a 5th rounder maybe as a guy that would take a 2nd rounder in the draft, then i'd say that is why they are "wasting" their time with him. i mean, they are working out Landry Jones for crying out loud.. LANDRY JONES! it's obvious they are leaving no stone unturned, so why not check under this one?

I would like the people who think trading for Matt Flynn to answer the following questions (ssuming that Flynn is as good as your personal best case scenario):

With Flynn starting, how many wins would the Bills have in 2013?

Would they make the playoffs?

What would their subsequent draft position be for 2014?

Is it likely that Flynn has a higher upside than the top prospects in this year's draft?

What is the downside of trading one of our 6 draft picks for a quarterback with an expensive contract?

What is Flynn's floor?

Someone needs to explain the cost benefit to me because I'm not seeing it at all.

I would like the people who think trading for Matt Flynn to answer the following questions (ssuming that Flynn is as good as your personal best case scenario):

Is it likely that Flynn has a higher upside than the top prospects in this year's draft?

What is the downside of trading one of our 6 draft picks for a quarterback with an expensive contract?

What is Flynn's floor?

Someone needs to explain the cost benefit to me because I'm not seeing it at all.

No

13th

than all but 3.

that we miss out on the next chris white or ryan moats, apparently. money not really a factor.

matt cassell.

What is Flynn's floor?

That is my major problem (as I hate the word "analytics" but it is the theory the Bills have publicly embraced). Draft picks are a vital part of our rebuilding process (not only in 2013, but in 2014 as well). While teams like San Fran and Seattle are already sitting on 12 or 13 picks, we have 6. So this year (and next year) we need to hit on at least 50% of those picks. Trading away picks for a $5.5 Million salaried unproven QB is not analytically sound. IMO

Uggghh. Everything in your post is heavily skewed toward your opinion of not wanting Flynn. Fine. Just say that then. As someone else mentioned, he didn't "lose his job" - it was an open competition. He got beat out by a rookie that went on be a Pro Bowl QB.

Wait I thought they "jettisoned" him, which implies he was cut? His contract was up and although I'm certain Green Bay would love to have him, he wasn't going to re-sign to be a backup. Also GB wasn't going to pay him the starter money another team would to sit the bench.

I don't know, why would we give up a high draft pick and waste our time with [insert college QB]?

Edited by QCity

Please. ANYBODY would be an upgrade over Fitz.

You know this because??? Fact is Flynn does not have a strong arm but if this report is true, it could indicate that Buddy and the gang do not like any of the draft's QB at #8. Plan B might be to get Flynn for a 5th or 6th rd. pick. Select players at other positions with their 1st., 2nd., and 3rd. picks and a QB like Matt Scott or Jeff Tuel in the 4th.

lol.. guys, having an opinion on something that takes like 5 seconds is not analytics. Buddy Nix could do that. it's deep, sophisticated statistical analysis, with things you can't see plainly.

if you did do that that, it might very well show something like that "85% of 6th round picks under Nix are garbage, so there is a better shot Flynn makes a difference to this team than a late round QB or CB". for example.

I seem to recall that Wilson struggled quite a bit during the 2012 season--especially during first half of season. He looked good in his last few games?

I would hate this. Flynn has done nothing to indicate he can be a reliable starter and no reason to believe he would be an upgrade over Fitz.. If he were a free agent he would be worth a look, but no way the Bills should trade draft choices for him. It would be nice to see one of the teams ahead of the Bills in draft order pick him up, taking out one more competitor for the QBs in the draft.

THIS