Matt Flynn may be available from Seattle, Bills interested?

I would hate this. Flynn has done nothing to indicate he can be a reliable starter and no reason to believe he would be an upgrade over Fitz.. If he were a free agent he would be worth a look, but no way the Bills should trade draft choices for him. It would be nice to see one of the teams ahead of the Bills in draft order pick him up, taking out one more competitor for the QBs in the draft.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate this. Flynn has done nothing to indicate he can be a reliable starter and no reason to believe he would be an upgrade over Fitz.. If he were a free agent he would be worth a look, but no way the Bills should trade draft choices for him. It would be nice to see one of the teams ahead of the Bills in draft order pick him up, taking out one more competitor for the QBs in the draft.

Isn't he a better option than any of the QB's in this class tho?

He is probably a better guy to come in and start while the draft choice gets worked in. I don't know that much about him, except he started a few games in GB. They are a great team, and maybe he was equivalent to Cassell coming in to spell Brady. Mediocre. I bet Fitz is better. Flynn was beat out by a 3rd round pick.

Please. ANYBODY would be an upgrade over Fitz.

The Dolphins coach Joe Philbin was Flynn's OC in Green Bay and made no effort to sign him during free agency and this was months before they drafted Ryan Tannehill. This tells me Philbin knows Flynn isn't legit. The Bills will draft a QB this year so why give a draft pick up for Flynn? It doesn't make any sense.

Actually, the Seahawks are in a good position to drive a hard bargain. They are paying him $5 million as a backup and paying Russ Wilson $550,000 as a second year third round pick....so they are averaging about $2,75 mill per QB. I'd say they are in good shape. They'll get a good deal on him.

The only problem is Flynn really hasn't done anything to prove he is deserving of a "hard bargain". The Seahawks are thinking championship quality teams based around Wilson, they don't want or need all of that money tied up with Flynn. When it comes down to it the Seahawks want to get rid of Flynn as much as any other team wants to pick him up.

IMO, Flynn=Kolb right now...The only difference is Kolb is a FA, and right now SEA is looking for high draft picks in return for a guy drafted in the 7th, and has played exactly 1 good game in the NFL.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Just saw this a few minutes ago for what it's worth, http://espn.go.com/b...d-in-matt-flynn

Thanks Turbo.

As you might expect, it's worth zero.

For one thing it's James Walker who is the living, breathing embodiment of mediocrity.

For another thing, he merely links to the CBS Sports piece by Jason LaCanfora which revived this thread on page 5 yesterday.

I would offer a conditional 2014 pick. Make it a 4th rounder that can be as high as a 2 if he starts and plays well. That seems fair to both sides. His contract isn't bad as a thought ($5.25 salary this yr, $6.25next with $2m in makeable incentives if starts and plays well). Seems like a reasonable risk for the Bills. Then I would still pick a QB in Rd2-3. I would be very happy with our QB situation heading into camp with Flynn, TJax and Nassib/Manuel. Open competition. Let the best man win. Hell, if they bring him in and he sucks, they cold cut him and not spend a penny (obviously they would lose the draft pick)

According to this Jason LaConfora Post...Jags and Raiders the other two teams in the mix...

http://www.nfl.com/n...-of-three-teams

would be intersted depending on the price tage Seattle wants...I am assuming it shouldn't be much considering he is a huge cap hit for a backup to them and they really need to free up that cap room...Seattle is not realy in a good position to drive a hard bargain here...

Trade for a QB who lost his job to a 3rd round rookie ? No thanks. I would much rather put my stock in a promising rookie from this year's draft class. The only QB on the block who I wanted was Alex Smith and he is long gone.

Mod: there are three Flynn threads right now - merge ?

Right now we have Tarvaris Jackson... So we go into the season with TJax and a rookie?

I know Flynn has like no experience but he did look descent, and was beat out by R. Wilson who just looks amazing. We need a guy like him, period.

Haha, what makes Flynn so good? His 1 or 2 decent games with a loaded Packers team ( Rob Johnson, Kolb, and many other nobodies have done this)? His 7th round draft selection? His mediocre at best play in college? His being beat out by a rookie 3rd rounder despite being traded for and signed to a big contract?

I'm not against picking up Flynn at all, but he's as much of a crap shoot as anyone else we may pick up this year. The Seahawks may very well cut him if they don't get more interest in him, or at least sell him cheap. Personally I don't think the Bills will trade much for him, nor do I think he's worth it. But if they cut him, or start getting desperate and offer him for cheap then they might go for it.

Just saw this a few minutes ago for what it's worth, http://espn.go.com/b...d-in-matt-flynn

He is a younger version of Fitz. Check out Fitz' 1st career start. But I guess any girl is hotter than your ex-wife theory.

Let Oakland or Jags trade for him. That would be one more team that doesnt need Geno Smith

CBF

I agree with you 100%. From an analytics standpoint (which is what the Bills are incorporating into this team) are we going to pay $5.5 Million for a guy who has played two full games in the NFL and is technically unproven. Analytics asks "What have you done lately to deserve this salary?"...if they pull this trigger, Russ Brandon's credibility is out the window.

The only problem is Flynn really hasn't done anything to prove he is deserving of a "hard bargain". The Seahawks are thinking championship quality teams based around Wilson, they don't want or need all of that money tied up with Flynn. When it comes down to it the Seahawks want to get rid of Flynn as much as any other team wants to pick him up.

I agree. Hoping the Bills don't fall prey to the desperation energy now taking hold in those QB-less teams.

Makes sense.

At the time the switch was made, Wilson was a rookie and not a pro-bowler. Flynn is being jettisoned by his second team now. DOesn't that tell us all something about his prospects ? Do we need yet another stop-gap performer who may or may not be better than Fitz.

And, please make your point without changing the wording in my post.