Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

"What likely makes the most sense is to cut Smith before the $1 million roster bonus is due. By doing that, the 49ers are only on the hook for the $1 million of his $7.75 million base salary that is guaranteed.

The question is basically, is it worth a shot at getting a deal done after league year begins, or to eventually find out there is not a sufficient trade market for Smith, and be stuck releasing him before April 1, and pay him $2 million in dead money.

Below is a chart of what would be saved vs. dead money for both cutting Smith and trading Smith."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My worst nightmare is the Bills being stupid and desperate enough to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him instead of waiting for his release and signing him as a free agent. He is an "acceptable" game manager while grooming our future QB, but not worth giving up any of our future for.

In the last two seasons when he finally had continuity in coaching responded with a very high winning record. He's not as bad as people on this post keep stating. He beat the Saints in the playlets last year. I agree with the notion of picking h.I'm up, and drafting a QB as well in the second round. We also need at least two free agents in any one of the following categories, WR,TE,LB,CB. We can get the rest in the draft. If we deliver on these five positions, we can move into the playoff conversation. My problem is I just can't get excited about this team. We all know what is needed, but they never do it.

The question is " Why would you want to get him " he is a below average QB with a no upside, I rather Draft a Rookie & have him start

The problem, at least as I see it, is that there are only very shaky QBs in this draft with each being a long-shot to develop into a good starting QB. I'd rather have Alex Smith for a few years, take a flyer on a rookie to see if we get lucky and (assuming we don't) then go all-in next year to get a better rookie prospect. Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady, but he could be a winner with a great D and running game - exactly what the Bills are trying to build (and they have a lot of the parts).

In the last two seasons when he finally had continuity in coaching responded with a very high winning record. He's not as bad as people on this post keep stating. He beat the Saints in the playlets last year. I agree with the notion of picking h.I'm up, and drafting a QB as well in the second round. We also need at least two free agents in any one of the following categories, WR,TE,LB,CB. We can get the rest in the draft. If we deliver on these five positions, we can move into the playoff conversation. My problem is I just can't get excited about this team. We all know what is needed, but they never do it.

This is my new favorite typo of all time. :P

The problem, at least as I see it, is that there are only very shaky QBs in this draft with each being a long-shot to develop into a good starting QB. I'd rather have Alex Smith for a few years, take a flyer on a rookie to see if we get lucky and (assuming we don't) then go all-in next year to get a better rookie prospect. Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady, but he could be a winner with a great D and running game - exactly what the Bills are trying to build (and they have a lot of the parts).

He'd certainly be an upgrade over what we have now. I'd rather see him start next year than any of the available rookies in the draft. Wouldn't bother me a bit to see Alex in a Bills uniform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxMz5h11CU

jb

Edited by jaybee

An entirely sensible position. I expect you to be derided soundly for it here on TBD.

Was Kaepernick that good or was GB defense that bad last night? 49ers should just give away Alex Smith to us, they don't need him! Nothing more than spare parts for the niners.

Edited by Hsp08

Why would Smith come to the Bills, knowing full well the Bills will be grooming his replacement as early as this coming season. Do you think Smith is totally stupid? Did he not go through that very scenario. I mean did, when you get kicked in the balls, do you say thank you, can I have another kick in the balls? Sure, don't we all? :wallbash:

There are at least 6 other teams looking for a starting QB, and from Alex Smith's view, the only team that has a clear opening for a veteran starter would be the Jets.

Everyone here seems to think Fitz's release is immenent. We all get that Fitz sucks. But the reality is, the current Bills OC spent a full season with Fitz in 2009 when he started 8 games. So, Hackett certainly has a frame of reference on him. It could be the kiss of death, or a thumbs up. What we think mght happen is an aggressive and styfling defense and an agressive offense with a no huddle approach. If that's the case, doesn't that type of scenario work more to Fitz advantage?

I see your point but do you really want another game manger, I frankly don't & next years isn't much better other than Aaron Murray & Johnny Manziel & that means another losing season I rather take a chance on a Rookie Gunslinger like Tyler Wilson than just the same thing we have now

I see your point but do you really want another game manger, I frankly don't & next years isn't much better other than Aaron Murray & Johnny Manziel & that means another losing season I rather take a chance on a Rookie Gunslinger like Tyler Wilson than just the same thing we have now

I am not saying that they shouldn't draft a QB, just that they need someone (besides that rookie) to start this year and perhaps longer. From everything that I have seen and read, there are no really good "rookie gunslingers" coming out in this draft. It happens - some years there are no good NFL QB prospects in the draft. What we've seen recently with strong QB drafts is the exception rather than the rule.