Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

Marrone is growing on me as I read more, and I'm happier than the retreads I have heard of and initially wanted (my starting pick was Lovie).

As for Hacket, remember that Marrone is a former OC under an offensive head coach who was really in charge. I think Marrone will have a large hand on the offense, and in Hacket having someone where understanding and communication is excellent is a better fit than brining in a Mike Martz figure.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all in on Marrone - and so far I feel like he's doing good things. Heckart for O.C. is no problem. In fact, I really, really like how young he is - HE WILL BE ABLE TO RELATE to these players. Heck, most of the team is not far from college age. With Marrone, Pettine, and I'm sure there'll be other, older men to come, the staff is YOUNG, but experienced. We fans need to remember: every time the Bills blew things up, in the last 20 years, they turned to men who are all of the same mold, mind, and ability level. If we'd gone and hired Wisenhunt, or Lovie Smith, guys like that who've been in the league, we'd be seeing more of the same stuff we've seen for the last two decades. This staff IS YOUNG, but it is also NEW, and HUNGRY, and together with Brandon's getting control, and Whaley taking a bigger role - the Bills team is NO LONGER the Bills that we're sick of seeing.

This team is now severed from the past. The players AND coaches can all start fresh, and they can redefine what the Buffalo Bills are going to be. I am just so impressed with all these moves.

good post

Umm.... The OC was our quality control coach when we signed fitz. The head of the organization has been here 10+ years. Our GM was a scout when our OC was working with fitz in 2009.

I'd say its a bold choice but cut ties with our past?

What's going on isn't business as usual. That has to be a positive.

Marrone is growing on me as I read more, and I'm happier than the retreads I have heard of and initially wanted (my starting pick was Lovie).

As for Hacket, remember that Marrone is a former OC under an offensive head coach who was really in charge. I think Marrone will have a large hand on the offense, and in Hacket having someone where understanding and communication is excellent is a better fit than brining in a Mike Martz figure.

That sounds tooom much like Chan being HC and OC. Doug won't have time to bring up junior and learn to be an NFL HC. Would have liked to see an experienced NFL OC, like the DC choice which I like alot.

That sounds tooom much like Chan being HC and OC. Doug won't have time to bring up junior and learn to be an NFL HC. Would have liked to see an experienced NFL OC, like the DC choice which I like alot.

It does not sound the same at all to me. Chan indicated right from the beginning that he would focus on offense and call the plays. He brought in an administrative hack to do the grunt work during the week. In this case, Marrone has been clear he will not call plays, and will rely on the coordinators. He has brought in someone who has played that role for him, who is in line with his philosophies, and who he trusts to implement them. Very different. I like this hire a lot - young, innovative, and in tune with the HC. Well done, IMO.

Edited by MDFan

It does not sound the same at all to me. Chan indicated right from the beginning that he would focus on offense and call the plays. He brought in an administrative hack to do the grunt work during the week. In this case, Marrone has been clear he will not call plays, and will rely on the coordinators. He has brought in someone who has played that role for him, who is in line with his philosophies, and who he trusts to implement them. Very different. I like this hire a lot - young, innovative, and in tune with the HC. Well done, IMO.

I hope you're right. But I would feel a lot more comfortable with someone with NFL OC experience. Even a little bit. Well, I guess we'll see in a few months . . . Go Bills!

I hope you're right. But I would feel a lot more comfortable with someone with NFL OC experience. Even a little bit. Well, I guess we'll see in a few months . . . Go Bills!

That would be...Doug Marrone. The fallback option should Hackett falter.

It seems to me like Marrone is to lazy to hire a real OC. Carmichael is unavailable and actually hiring someone solid where Marrone would have to learn a playbook, he just figured I don't have the time. I will bring in this child from Syracuse with no experience at all calling plays at the pro level just so I won't have to learn a new offense. It is decisions like this that get Head Coaches fired. I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting for him to succeed but it seems like a bad choice to me.

It seems to me like Marrone is to lazy to hire a real OC.....

How do you come away with the opinion that Marrone is too lazy?

Has he perhaps exhibited lazy tendencies in the past? Maybe turned up late for a game or two....or let his coaching team handle things while he took a nap?

Lazy? :o

It seems to me like Marrone is to lazy to hire a real OC. Carmichael is unavailable and actually hiring someone solid where Marrone would have to learn a playbook, he just figured I don't have the time. I will bring in this child from Syracuse with no experience at all calling plays at the pro level just so I won't have to learn a new offense. It is decisions like this that get Head Coaches fired. I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting for him to succeed but it seems like a bad choice to me.

He made this hire because he thinks Nate will be able to help him succeed in Buffalo. Time will tell if he is right, but to say he did it out of laziness is ridiculous. NFL and college analysts have already stated that it was only a matter of time before Nate became an NFL coordinator. This was not a decision made out of nepotism in my opinion, it was a coach taking the opportunity to build a staff of people he knew that could help him meet his goals. I for one, am excited to see this refreshing stategy. Let the teams like Cleveland struggle over which retreads to to bring in while our coach starts building for the future.

It seems to me like Marrone is to lazy to hire a real OC. Carmichael is unavailable and actually hiring someone solid where Marrone would have to learn a playbook, he just figured I don't have the time. I will bring in this child from Syracuse with no experience at all calling plays at the pro level just so I won't have to learn a new offense.

I hope I am wrong

Seems like a good bet.

My take on it is that they are both on the same page offensively and work well together. Seems like a good idea to me. But like you said, time will tell. I hope I am right. I like the fresh start.